Removing Grill from Exhaust Fan

SIMP

All,
How much difference will it make to cut out the perforated grill at the back exhaust fan? Seems to me that that grill limits the amount of air that fan can pull out of the case? I own a Centurion 534 as shown below.

CenturionSideView.jpg

Mankz_91

I did it to my case, and I used tin snips.

I say more air is coming through, and its slightly quieter, but that is based on the un-scientific ear test.

Cleric7x9

i can assure you that it is not the grill that limits airflow, there is no way a case fan is pushing things to the max. all you are going to do is get your fingers caught in the fan. i really dont think it would help you

fortyways

banned
i can assure you that it is not the grill that limits airflow, there is no way a case fan is pushing things to the max. all you are going to do is get your fingers caught in the fan. i really dont think it would help you

Wrong.

Removing stock fan grills is always a good idea.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
*taking notes here* I was asking myself this very question this morning, as to whether or not it's a good idea.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Removing the grill makes a pretty noticeable difference in air flow, and a slight difference in sound levels. I would recommend putting on a fan grill afterwards though, so you don't get your hand caught up in it.

fortyways

banned
OP's picture actually looks pretty open. It looks sort of like the honey comb design on Antec cases.

On my CoolerMaster case, it had tiny little holes. It was more closed than open.

vonfeldt7

I doubt it limits too much airflow...however I may be wrong.

The only thing I've ever seen that needs to be removed/cut to get better airflow is the plastic on top of the TT Armor Case. It has extremely small holes, and almost no air gets out. Bad Design.

jgotfire

2 1/4” works good on the 80 mm and the 92 mm. I would not use these sizes of bits where they will show but on the back and under the front cover it works good. Yes a cheap wire fan guard is a must.

IMO it will cut the fan noise by 1/3 or more and you can feel the difference in air flow. 2 1/4" is 83 MM if I’m thinking right.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I was thinking this myself actually...

34.jpg

Would it be worth doing it to the Antec 900, and what tools can you use?

Timo

Some of these might do it.

And I am sure that if your case-fan is blowing for instance at 1000 RPM, it's going to get more CFM through the back opening when there is nothing behind it keeping the air from going outside. So saying it won't help is quite untrue if you ask me.

I most likely will take out a big part of it myself soon (with my soon to be Antec 300) seeing the fans I am getting for it throw out 110 CFM... I'd like all of those CFM's to get out. But not all of it seeing I have a lot of wires running on the behind.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I was thinking this myself actually...

Would it be worth doing it to the Antec 900, and what tools can you use?

I don't think it's really worth doing on honey-bomb exhaust designs, as they are very efficient. However it is definitely worth to do it on the cheap punch out ones.

Timo

And what would be the significant difference between a honeycomb and a punched out one? A wide open one always works better.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
And what would be the significant difference between a honeycomb and a punched out one? A wide open one always works better.

Cause it's kinda dumb to leave the fan completely open in the back, and a standard chrome fan grill is about the same as honey bombed ones.

Timo

proi_small.jpg

Available everywhere, put it on there. These will most likely let the most air through it, and if you're still not happy with that you can vut out as much as you want.

@diduknowthat; the question was "How much difference will it make to cut out the perforated grill at the back exhaust fan?" And I said, it would make a pretty nice difference. Ofcourse the wires are now able to get caught etc. but I can imagine anyone knows that there is a risk to having no protection from a fan is hazardous.

SIMP

Update: I have removed the back grill guard with some wire snips I had and they worked great. I can actually tell a difference in the airflow.

I also ordered a side panel for my case with a view window and installed some cathodes inside my case. The new panel does not have any side intake fans like the factory panel did, so I installed a 120mm fan in the front of the case for intake purposes. My CPU temp went from 21 C at idle with the old panel to 27 C at idle with the new panel that has no side intake fans.

This weekend I plan on cutting a hole and mounting a 120mm fan on the side of the new panel. I hope this helps bring my temps back down to 21 C.

How bad does 27 C at idle sound with a room temp of about 75 F? I am running an Intel E2160 at 2.4 Ghz. Thanks.