Removing Grill from Exhaust Fan

Timo

Well... 21C with a room temp of 75F is impossible seeing 75F is 24C exept if you use some of the special cooling stuff (-273 liquids :p ^^). So I am guessing those temperatures are incorrect...

Trizoy

VIP Member
I don't think temperatures make noise :p The fans do though!

You're right temperature doesn't make noise.. The most noise in the fan system is coming from tumbling air. When it is forced out those grills you are talking about the air doesn't have a smooth flow. If the grill were removed it would be a lot quieter, and you would only hear the fans.

TFT

VIP Member
If you do the maths , as an example. A 120mm fan can move 170CF of air in one minute and the punched holes won't allow that amount of airflow through so a wire guard or none at all would make the cooling more efficient and quieter.

Timo

Wow... Can you tell me which 120mm fan blows 170CF/M I have yet you find one?

(or are your minutes perhaps longer then mine?)

SIMP

Well... 21C with a room temp of 75F is impossible seeing 75F is 24C exept if you use some of the special cooling stuff (-273 liquids :p ^^). So I am guessing those temperatures are incorrect...

Well, I was guessing at the temp in the exact room my PC is located. I was using Core Temp to measure the CPU temp which I believe is fairly accurate. Who knows!

Timo

Well, even if you would have a room temp of 15C (which is cold enough to make you pull on a second sweater inside the house) you won't have your Overclocked CPU run at 21C on normal Air cooling. I bet you that it won't even do 21C when you underclock it with a room temp of 21C xD

Timo

I wouldn't buy that Temp-reading program you are using... It's damn sure that's a faulty temperature. How you you expect to get a 27C when your room is 24C. It's impossible with any heatsink that is out there... Heatpipes can't do such low Delta-temperature between room and CPU temps seeing then they would work because if the room temp makes the heatpipe work you won't have any use of them.

Okedokey

i can assure you that it is not the grill that limits airflow, there is no way a case fan is pushing things to the max. all you are going to do is get your fingers caught in the fan. i really dont think it would help you

agreed

Timo

By that definition a car does not get limited by air resistance (and other resistance but air being the biggest). If you are blowing at a candle and I decide to put a piece of paper with somewhat of a mesh layout (with openings) between your mouth and the candle I reckon you'd have to blow harder then normal to get the candle to die out within the same time as normal.

myPCrocks

The little bit of airflow you will gain is not worth it.

If you need to mod it to gain that small amount of cooling difference you have bigge rproblems than that.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Wow... Can you tell me which 120mm fan blows 170CF/M I have yet you find one?

(or are your minutes perhaps longer then mine?)

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/delffb1212eh.html

I am not saying it will do nothing, rather the effort does not justify the improvement.

The air flow increase is noticeable, but not drastic. However, due to less turbulence, the fan is much quieter with a chrome grill. Plus, its likes a 15 min job, especially if you don't get nitty-gritty.