Replacing corrupt Windows files

FAV

I have XP on my system, and one or more files are corrupt. My power options in control panel are gone. Is there anyway to figure out which ones and replace them from the install CD or from some web source?

FAV

Can you access the Task Manager?

It sounds like you had/have a virus.

Yes, task manager always comes up when I request it. The power options interface has a blank for the name of configuration. Every option is grayed out, and it refuses to recognize my UPS, even though I have a disc for it and re-installed it.

I can access standby from the start button, but that is a pain. The idea of having to re-install XP drives me nuts.

Last edited:

rawcomputers

Stick in your install cd and reboot, use the repair console to fix anything thats missing (should be able to auto detect problems)
Unless you've got a Dell, Hp or other large manufacturers system, then use the system restore software loaded.
Using windows system restore might work as well, as long as you can remember when this started happening

FAV

Stick in your install cd and reboot, use the repair console to fix anything thats missing (should be able to auto detect problems)
Unless you've got a Dell, Hp or other large manufacturers system, then use the system restore software loaded.
Using windows system restore might work as well, as long as you can remember when this started happening

Been going on for months. It's the only thing wrong with the computer. I tried using the Dell Operating System restore disk, and it tells me it cannot repair anything because the system files are newer than on the CD. Duh, that was probably true a few weeks after I bought the computer (EXS 400).

I have a RAID 1 configuration and a third drive that is many months out of date that I could use to rebuild the other drive, but there is too much I would have to redo or lose.

I'm stymied. I wish I were using Linux. The solution for every Windows problem is re-install the operating system.