[Resolved]Bricked nexus 7?

Grantapus

i installed TWRP and flashed SuperSU.zip. now my nexus 7 2nd gen is stuck on the boot animation.

its been there for like 10 min. i have tried wiping delvik cach and cach. it still wont work. what should i do now?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Did you have TWRP flash SuperSU for you on exit? If so that's your problem. You should only flash the SuperSU zip manually.

You can try flashing the latest version of SuperSU (you may need to sideload it from your computer). Otherwise you'll need to wipe your tablet and flash the factory image.

Grantapus

Did you have TWRP flash SuperSU for you on exit? If so that's your problem. You should only flash the SuperSU zip manually.

You can try flashing the latest version of SuperSU (you may need to sideload it from your computer). Otherwise you'll need to wipe your tablet and flash the factory image.
How to di flash the factory image

what do you mean "Have twrp flash it apon exit"?

voyagerfan99

Staff member

voyagerfan99

Staff member
You'll lose everything if you factory flash it. Or you could try just flashing only the system image from within the factory image zip.

You'd need to individually flash it from fastboot with the Android ADB tool from command line.

Grantapus

lucky me i have backed up my tablet yesterday! so, should i just select the wipe button and swipe to wipe?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
No you don't need to do that. That will just wipe the tablet.

If you want to not lose anything I would first try flashing the system image like I said above.

If you want to start from scratch, you can just extract the factory image and click the flash-all.bat

voyagerfan99

Staff member
If you choose wipe/factory reset from within TWRP all it will do is wipe your system. You then won't have anything to boot to.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I already told you what you need to do. I don't have time to write up an entire guide for you.

If you take what I already suggested to you and do some research on it, you'll find far better guides than I could write. You'll also learn something at the same time.

You're not the only person in existence that has had these issues.

Grantapus

I already told you what you need to do. I don't have time to write up an entire guide for you.

If you take what I already suggested to you and do some research on it, you'll find far better guides than I could write. You'll also learn something at the same time.

You're not the only person in existence that has had these issues.
so should i just copy the system image to my nexus and "Swipe to flash" that?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
so should i just copy the system image to my nexus and "Swipe to flash" that?
NO! Have you read anything that I have said in this thread?

If you want to go the way of flashing just the system image to see if that resolves it, you need to use the Android ADB found within the Android SDK Tools. (skip the optional part - you'd wind up breaking something).
Download and install them somewhere (make life easy and install it to C:\Nexus7\ )and run the installed application when finished. Once the command window opens, boot your tablet into FastBoot mode (hold down power + volume down) and plug it in.

Type "fastboot devices" (without quotes)
If a random jumble of numbers appears, then your tablet was detected. If it wasn't, you need to install the proper driver, such as the Universal Naked Driver
If it detects it, then you're good.

Download the factory Nexus 7 image I linked in the post above (Here it is in case you're lazy)
Extract the contents and then extract the second zip file within the zip file to the location of ADB you installed earlier.
Type "fastboot flash boot boot.img" (without quotes)
Type "fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img" (without quotes)
Type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" (without quotes)
Type "fastboot flash system system.img" (without quotes) and it will send the system image to your tablet.

Once it's done, use the volume rocker to select reboot and press the power button to reboot the tablet and see if it boots. Give it a few minutes and it should boot.
If it doesn't boot, we can come back to that and try flashing everything else.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
That's for flashing everything. That's not what we want to do. We'll do that if flashing just the system image doesn't work.
Honestly if he screwed his tablet up this much and has this much trouble fixing it, reverting to 100% stock may be better haha

Grantapus

If you want to go the way of flashing just the system image to see if that resolves it, you need to use the Android ADB found within the Android SDK Tools. (skip the optional part - you'd wind up breaking something).
Download and install them somewhere (make life easy and install it to C:\Nexus7\ )and run the installed application when finished. Once the command window opens, boot your tablet into FastBoot mode (hold down power + volume down) and plug it in.

If a random jumble of numbers appears, then your tablet was detected. If it wasn't, you need to install the proper driver, such as the Universal Naked Driver

Download the factory Nexus 7 image I linked in the post above (Here it is in case you're lazy)
Extract the contents and then extract the second zip file within the zip file to the location of ADB you installed earlier.
Type "fastboot flash system system.img" (without quotes) and it will send the system image to your tablet.

Once it's done, use the volume rocker to select reboot and press the power button to reboot the tablet and see if it boots. Give it a few minutes and it should boot.
Thank you very much! this is very helpful!

Grantapus

Honestly if he screwed his tablet up this much and has this much trouble fixing it, reverting to 100% stock may be better haha
??
Did it work for you?
IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!

IT WORKED!!! THANKS SOOOO MUCH!

Last edited by a moderator: