Router Help

Eric4753

Well I have an old linksys wrt54gs router, that I reset(forgot the password) by holding down the reset button, but now it won't let me bridge my internet to my xbox 360 or ps4 or go online at all. I tried access the router by doing the default ip address, but that won't work either. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,
Eric

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
What exactly do you mean by "that won't work either"? Does it give an error message or simply refuse to connect? Are you using wireless or wired? Usually routers won't let you log on to change settings over wireless by default, since it's got a default username/password, anyone within the range of your wireless can log on to muck around. Also, what exactly do you mean by bridge? Do you mean simply connecting to the wireless network (bridging is something different)?

Eric4753

Ok lets start with the beginning I don't have dsl available or anything. So I tether. If you use wireless tethering(I use my phone) directly to a console (ps4 xbox etc) it will give a nat error. So to open your nat up you have your pc connect to your phone's internet then turn on internet sharing. Then connect your pc to your router(ethernet) so your router is getting internet FROM your pc. then simply connect your xbox to your router port 1(ethernet) and boom and would give me an open nat. Well one day I tried connecting with ps4 nothing reset the router nothing came here. The that won't either is me reseting my router and trying to access its menu. People said if you enter the router's default ip you could change the router's username and password. Well when entering what ever ip I give it nothing will come up so I don't know what to do about that either. Sorry If I misused terms.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Providing you have truly reset the router, its default ip address is 192.168.1.1 Leave user name blank and password is admin.

Eric4753

How do I configure it then so I can use it. Like setting username and password ssid etc. That won't work I plugged the ethernet in Port 1 and connected it to the computer, but it won't load up the page when I type it into chrome.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then most likely you haven't reset the router. Press and hold the reset button on the back side of router for a good 30 seconds. Do you know if it was flashed with special firmware such as ddwrt?

Eric4753

ok I did the reset thing again. still nothing. I honestly don't know if the special firmware was flashed or not because my relatives gave me it after using it for 3+ years.

Geoff

VIP Member
The machine you are trying to configure it from is using DHCP and not a static IP right? If you set a static IP on a different network, such as 172.16.x.x, you won't be able to connect to the router on 192.168.x.x. I'd check your network settings to make sure you are getting a correct IP.

Eric4753

ok so I do not know if it is a stac ip or dhcp. When I check the ip of it under the cmd ip config way the place where ip should be is blank

Geoff

VIP Member
ok so I do not know if it is a stac ip or dhcp. When I check the ip of it under the cmd ip config way the place where ip should be is blank
So you aren't getting any IP. Set a static IP using the following, assuming your router is 192.168.1.1

Geoff

VIP Member
how do I set a static ip on my router?
Well your PC should be getting a DHCP address, but it sounds like it's not. You want to set the static IP of your computer to be on the same network as the router. I would google the default settings of your router, to find out what the default IP is.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need a static IP on the router (or shouldn't) you just need to set a static IP for your computer so you can access the router. If it's in the recovery console I'd imagine a lot of features are disabled. DHCP should be on, but it sounds like it isn't. (bascially what wrxguy has said already)

Now, if I remember correctly, the recovery console lets you upload new firmware but that's about it. Either way, you'll need to connect to the admin pages to see what's going on, hence setting a static IP on your computer.

Eric4753

How would I check my DHCP? I just want to be sure I'm not giving you guys the wrong info ro something the only stuff that shows when I type in cmd k/ ipconfig

Under Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Adress . . . . . . . : fe80::6474:79f9:7ac3:ee85%11
IPv4 Adress . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.137.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . :
That's it.

Thanks,
Eric

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Can you try ipconfig /all? I think you have 2 interfaces -- 1 for your NIC and 1 that's the tethering address from your phone. I'm thinking that DHCP is off or you would have a second address in the 192.168.1.xxx range (assuming default config).

You should be able to set a static IP on your network adapter like below then connect to 192.168.1.1 and configure the router as needed:
20ayz6c.png

Eric4753

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : owner-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mshome.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : EasyTether Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-74-68-72
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mshome.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gig
t Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-2B-34-D6-EF-09
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::519e:40da:bd6f:f3a0%12(Preferred
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.243.160(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 311438132
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-AE-16-89-90-2B-34-D6-EE

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.137.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connec
n
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-2B-34-D6-EE-F9