Router/Modem problems

NPH

Heyy guys,

I think I have a problem with my router or/and modem. Ofcourse the problem can be something else.

Since July this year I have a new PC(I suppose there wont be a problem wit my PC), but my router and modem are about 6 years old.

My problem is that my internet is very slow some times, but not always. And more and more often I just have no internet (the internet icon on the modem is orange instead of green).

I play a online game (GW2) that has to update now and then (you have to download files) and when my internet works great the speed of downloading those files is about 280-330 KB/sec and when my internet is slow the speed of downloading is about 85-90 KB/sec (or lower!).

My router is a D-link with 802.11g/2.4GHz (Wireless and +-6 years old)
My modem is a speedtouch (+-6 years old)

The anti-software I use is Norton (a free download).

Thank you very much :)

Last edited:

tecmeister

Try resetting your router to default, this will remove all of the junk that is stored on it.
If that doesn't work, call your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and ask them to send you an new update-to-date router and modem.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It may also be a connection issue to your house from the line outside.

NPH

Try resetting your router to default, this will remove all of the junk that is stored on it.
If that doesn't work, call your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and ask them to send you an new update-to-date router and modem.

How do I reset that?
And who is my ISP? If it's the guy whom I buyed the router/modem from, I have a problem because he quitted his computerstore...

There was another reply (it were 3 links: matthao.org or something like that) on my thread, but that one is removed, how comes? Because I clicked it, I hope it wasn't a virus or something..

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
How do I reset that?
And who is my ISP? If it's the guy whom I buyed the router/modem from, I have a problem because he quitted his computerstore...

Your ISP is your Internet Service Provider.

There was another reply (it were 3 links: matthao.org or something like that) on my thread, but that one is removed, how comes? Because I clicked it, I hope it wasn't a virus or something..

Those links were posted by a spammer. I can't guarantee they didn't give you a virus.

I doubt after 6 months...but it could be. You could call your ISP and ask them to do a test with your connection and ask them if anyone else if the area has been having these problems.

I had a connection issue at my house for well over a year. A squirrel chewed on the cable line.

Last edited:

NPH

Your ISP is your Internet Service Provider.

Those links were posted by a spammer. I can't guarantee they didn't give you a virus.

I had a connection issue at my house for well over a year. A squirrel chewed on the cable line.

I have no idea what my ISP is and is it possible to check if it were viruses, my virusscanner hasnt found anything so i think i dont have one.

And how do you reset your router? Just by plugging out the cables, otherwhise i reset him all week or so..

No you mention it, there are squirrels in my backyard..

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If your modem light is orange instead of green then its not a pc issue. Resetting modem and router just means unplugging power from both and wait a minute and then plug back in.

tecmeister

There will be a reset button on your router, it's the little button, you'll need a pin to push it. Once you've done this, you have to reconfigure your router. I.e add password, change your SSID (if you want to). At the bottom of your router, there will be a private IP address (192.168.100.1),you enter that in to your URL (it could be different, bit it will start with 192.168) on your browser and configure you router.

The company that you pay for your internet should provide you with a modem/router, if they haven't, call them up and request one.

To test the connection go on to the address and test your ping, it'll say what you connect grade is: http://pingtest.net/

If you get a bad grade, call your ISP.

NPH

There will be a reset button on your router, it's the little button, you'll need a pin to push it. Once you've done this, you have to reconfigure your router. I.e add password, change your SSID (if you want to). At the bottom of your router, there will be a private IP address (192.168.100.1),you enter that in to your URL (it could be different, bit it will start with 192.168) on your browser and configure you router.

The company that you pay for your internet should provide you with a modem/router, if they haven't, call them up and request one.

To test the connection go on to the address and test your ping, it'll say what you connect grade is: http://pingtest.net/

If you get a bad grade, call your ISP.

There is no reset-buton or IP on my router..

I checked my internet on pingtest.net:

Line quality: C
ping: 58ms
Jitter: 81ms
Packet loss: 0%
Distance: 50mi
ISP has a rate of 2.8/5

Is there anything that is not good on these results or are they allright?

Now I know who mt ISP is :) I'm planning to change to another ISP, a better one.

tecmeister

The thing I can say to use is, unplug your router for a few minutes then plug it back in, test your connection with the ping and see if there is a change.

You can find out the router's IP by opening command prompt and typing ipconfig. It's the address under Default gateway.

You can open commend prompt by clicking on the start and in the search by type cmd and click enter.

Type the address into the web browser and configure the router. Hopefully they'll be a reset button.

If this doesn't work, you'll have to wait until your ISP has changed, they'll give you a new router/modem and sort everything out for you.

NPH

The thing I can say to use is, unplug your router for a few minutes then plug it back in, test your connection with the ping and see if there is a change.

You can find out the router's IP by opening command prompt and typing ipconfig. It's the address under Default gateway.

You can open commend prompt by clicking on the start and in the search by type cmd and click enter.

Type the address into the web browser and configure the router. Hopefully they'll be a reset button.

If this doesn't work, you'll have to wait until your ISP has changed, they'll give you a new router/modem and sort everything out for you.

I don't understand what you are saying about the router because i don't speak that good English (what is 'prompt' and 'ipconfig' and stuff ?) Sorry for that.

One last thing; How do I make sure that my computer isn't infected by a virus or something like that, so that I'm certain it isn't that that causes my slow internet-problem.
Is a free virusprotect-download good enought to protect my computer or should I invest in a download where you have to pay for?

If a free one is good enough, which product would you advise ? (I have Norton now and my PC is a HP)

Thank you very much ;)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If your modem lights are not staying green, then most likely its either a modem or line issue. A free virus program will do just as good if not better then a paid version. Avast free is good and I use it.

If you think you are infected then do the following.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com. If you are still having issues running rkill then try downloading these renamed versions of the same program.

EXPLORER.EXE
IEXPLORE.EXE
USERINIT.EXE
WINLOGON.EXE

But DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Vista and Windows 7 users must right click on the hijackthis icon and click on run as. If the run as option doesn't appear then press and hold the shift key while right clicking on the icon to get it to appear.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

When the hijackthis log appears in a notepad file, click on the edit menu, click select all, then click on the edit menu again and click on copy. Come back to your reply and right click on your mouse and click on paste.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

NPH

If your modem lights are not staying green, then most likely its either a modem or line issue. A free virus program will do just as good if not better then a paid version. Avast free is good and I use it.

If you think you are infected then do the following.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com. If you are still having issues running rkill then try downloading these renamed versions of the same program.

EXPLORER.EXE
IEXPLORE.EXE
USERINIT.EXE
WINLOGON.EXE

But DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Vista and Windows 7 users must right click on the hijackthis icon and click on run as. If the run as option doesn't appear then press and hold the shift key while right clicking on the icon to get it to appear.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

When the hijackthis log appears in a notepad file, click on the edit menu, click select all, then click on the edit menu again and click on copy. Come back to your reply and right click on your mouse and click on paste.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

No bad things detected :) i'll have to find the reason of my bad internet-speed. Should I let Malware installed for later scans?

Thanks a loooot for your help buddy, but when i try to install Norton it says that norton is the best program for my computer and that it works best because it installed while my PC was made, but my free download has run out so it forces me to buy a non-free program of norton, so should i remove it to install avast or download a non-free program of norton to keep my PC optimalised (thats what Norton says)?

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Call your internet service provider. They can help you fix your slow internet.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No bad things detected :) i'll have to find the reason of my bad internet-speed. Should I let Malware installed for later scans?

Thanks a loooot for your help buddy, but when i try to install Norton it says that norton is the best program for my computer and that it works best because it installed while my PC was made, but my free download has run out so it forces me to buy a non-free program of norton, so should i remove it to install avast or download a non-free program of norton to keep my PC optimalised (thats what Norton says)?

Uninstall nortons first then use their removal too to fully get rid of it then download and install Avast if you wish.

removal tool here.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What said your connection was fine? Again, if your modem lights are going in and out then its either a modem or line issue.

Go here and do a speedtest and give us the results along with what speed you are paying for.

www.speedtest.net

ayan

Hello,
6 years old D-Link still functional? WOW!!! Really, that is a record! Jokes aside, have you tried using a different router? Just to test your connection, that's all.
It can be that lately your ISP installed more clients in your area, and they forgot to upgrade the alloted bandwidth. Is your DL/UL speed insured by contract? Have you tried bringing this up with your ISP?

NPH

Hello,
6 years old D-Link still functional? WOW!!! Really, that is a record! Jokes aside, have you tried using a different router? Just to test your connection, that's all.
It can be that lately your ISP installed more clients in your area, and they forgot to upgrade the alloted bandwidth. Is your DL/UL speed insured by contract? Have you tried bringing this up with your ISP?

He might be even 6-7 years old !

If I have to try another router, I have to buy a new one right?
And I'm sorry what is DL/UL ?