Router --> Repeater

65n00в

Can I make a an old router function as a repeater?

It's an old 2WIRE gateway, b/g, I don't think b/g/n.

But I only want to use it for hardwired connections, not WiFi.

I would still like our new router/gateway to function as the default for WiFi.

Can someone help me?

[as long as I am allowed the upload space, I can take photos if someone needs them -- thanks]

beers

Staff member
Usually depends on the feature set for a repeater. Probably not unless it supports a third party firmware like dd-wrt.

You could use it as a wired access point without any additional modifications, though.

65n00в

So, I would just hook one cable to one of the four ports of the gateway router. Then the other end to one of the ports at the 2WIRE?

No modifications, what about do I need the original router software on every pc that's WAP to it?

[Still a bit confused about diff btw firmware (embedded) and software]

beers

Staff member
Wired access point:
-Phyiscal cable from LAN of gateway device to LAN of AP device
-Configure static IP for secondary device (ie, if gateway 192.168.1.1, use 192.168.1.2)
-Disable DHCP on AP device
-Choose a different channel than the gateway (1,6 or 11) for the AP
-Use the same SSID and security settings so you can migrate between APs seamlessly

You might get a bit of varied performance in a mixed g/n environment but it should extend your range at higher performance than a repeater would.

Jamebonds1

Do you mean connect from WiFi router to switches 5 port? Repeater is an device that connection from wired network to fiber cable network at longer distence.

beers

Staff member
65n00в were you able to get that going?

He said not for WIFI!
Good call, although that makes the setup that much more simple by just using the LAN ports of the other router and disabling DHCP for that secondary device.

Do you mean connect from WiFi router to switches 5 port? Repeater is an device that connection from wired network to fiber cable network at longer distence.

Please refrain from threads where you cannot comprehend the basic subject of the post. Your definition of a repeater is invalid, that would define a media converter.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
A repeater in this sense is not a device that connects from a wired network to a fiber network, the OP is wanting to use an extra wireless router as a wireless bridge, where he can connect wired devices to his wireless network.

Jamebonds1

I thought you knew everything?

Wireless bridge has nothing to do with dual WAN.

No, I never said that ever.
I'm trying find out what op is talk about.

UPDATE:
An two router in bridge.... that would be work a bit on setting up. I can't remember... An access point?

Last edited: