Router --> Repeater

Geoff

VIP Member
No, I never said that ever.
I'm trying find out what op is talk about.

UPDATE:
An two router in bridge.... that would be work a bit on setting up. I can't remember... An access point?
Yes, you told me that you are never wrong and you are always right. Remember?

He is wanting to turn his old wireless router into a wireless bridge. Meaning, his second wireless router would act as a client and join his existing wireless network, which would then allow the wired ethernet ports to be used so you can connect wired-only devices to a wireless network.

65n00в

My bad on two accounts:

1. @beers If my username did not have a Russian в , would make it a lot simpler for people to @65n00в me.

2. I guess I did use b/g which refers to WiFi, right? I'll try to just remember to say wired or "ethernet".

I didn't know if a b/g/n router gateway could be wired to a b/g router and still be effective. That's why I mentioned WiFi frequencies I guess.

Just found my wire snippers today.

Will I run into any problems using cat6 jacks on the ends of cat5 cable? It's all Home Depot had. Best Buy didn't have anything and I didn't want to wait for Newegg.

Geoff

VIP Member
My bad on two accounts:

1. @beers If my username did not have a Russian в , would make it a lot simpler for people to @65n00в me.

2. I guess I did use b/g which refers to WiFi, right? I'll try to just remember to say wired or "ethernet".

I didn't know if a b/g/n router gateway could be wired to a b/g router and still be effective. That's why I mentioned WiFi frequencies I guess.

Just found my wire snippers today.

Will I run into any problems using cat6 jacks on the ends of cat5 cable? It's all Home Depot had. Best Buy didn't have anything and I didn't want to wait for Newegg.
Now you confused me even more. From the beginning, what are you hoping to accomplish?

Are you wanting to use an old router as a switch to give you more wired ports? I thought you wanted to create a wireless bridge, but now you are saying this has nothing to do with WiFi?

65n00в

{i thought beers answered it for me the first time}

I'll refer to the new gateway router as ATT & the old router gateway as 2WIRE:

The ATT rg is the same one that AT&T uses for their fiber network, so I wanna keep that one for WiFi. (we don't yet have the AT&T fiber network in our area though)

The ATT rg is at the far north end of the house. Until I figure smth out, it's gonna be running ethernet cable from the north end 3/4 of the way south along the house floor.

But the cable isn't long enough to run from one end of the house to the other, so...

What I wanted to accomplish [hopefully, if possible] was to re-purpose the 2WIRE rg so that cable runs from ATT to 2WIRE; then a second cable from 2WIRE to a PC on the house south end.

I'd just say "switch" or "bridge" even after looking up the definitions, but likely I'd get them confused and then I'd confuse people even more.

beers

Staff member
What I wanted to accomplish [hopefully, if possible] was to re-purpose the 2WIRE rg so that cable runs from ATT to 2WIRE; then a second cable from 2WIRE to a PC on the house south end.

Ah. My second solution would work for you, the primary one includes additional wireless coverage, although you could do the same steps and disable the SSID on the secondary and it would still work.

Basically the terminology for this would be using the device as a wired switch (and avoiding the wifi and routing functions).

beers

Staff member
If you lose coverage in that area, it wouldn't hurt to have it enabled.

Otherwise, I'd probably leave it disabled since your device may renegotiate to the stronger AP in that area and drop data rates from N to G.

65n00в

Okay, thanks. I deleted my last post to do a redo, with a paint image sketch of the outline of our house, failed miserably. You still got the message =)

Geoff

VIP Member
What you want is a switch between your computer and your ATT router then. If you turn off DHCP on the 2WIRE router that may be enough to get it working the way you want it. You'll have to change the IP address of the 2WIRE device though to prevent conflicts and make sure you are on the same network.

You can buy a switch for $10-$20 that would do what you want as well.

If you use it out of the box on factory settings, you could get by connecting your ATT router to the WAN port on the 2WIRE router, and then your PC to one of the ports, however you will be utilizing NAT which means you won't be able to access any LAN devices on the rest of your network. If it's just for internet use that could work, it's just not ideal.