Router Upgrade?

jevery

I'm running a relatively new ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 Modem and a relatively old Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router. I'm not having any connectivity issues, but I'm wondering if there's anything to be gained by upgrading to a newer/better router.

Laquer Head

Yeah, definitely... especially if your still using an older 54G router... stepping up to a dual/tri band AC router will vastly improve wifi and give you gigabit ethernet plugged in..

I'll let one of the guys here more versed in router specifics chime in here... but any upgrade, in my eyes, will yield performance and speed increase over current.

jevery

Thx for the reply. I know absolutely nothing about modems and routers except how to plug them in. Hopefully someone will direct me to the sweet spot for price/performance.

Agent Smith

I've used that same router for about 10 years. It was flawless. I updated its firmware to DD-WRT and had it running up until last year when I finally replaced it with an Asus N66u that is flashed with Asus Merlin. The biggest difference you will see with a different router is Gigabit speeds. Perhaps a few other perks. Like with my router, the Asus N66u flashed with Merlin I have an Anti-DDoS option and with it enabled it's hard for a supposed hacker to Nmap my network. I've tried doing this to my IP myself.

Check eBay for an Asus RT N66U that's flashed with Merlin or DD-WRT. That's where I got mine.

You don't need AC unless you have AC capable hardware. And 5GHz has a hard time penetrating walls.

Last edited:

jevery

Well I'm seeing the RT-N66U w/DD-WRT at Newegg (new) with 2 year warranty for $85 and one on EBay with ASUSwrt-Merlin (refurbished) with 1 year warranty for $140. Do you think there's any real performance difference? I 'd rather buy new if there's little difference.

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm running a relatively new ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 Modem and a relatively old Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router. I'm not having any connectivity issues, but I'm wondering if there's anything to be gained by upgrading to a newer/better router.
That's a fairly high end modem, what internet speed are you paying for? If it's anything above 50Mbps you will benefit from a newer wireless router, especially if your internet speed is significantly faster than that.

jevery

I'm paying for 150 Mbps from Cox. I ordered an ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band N900. Hope it was a good choice.

Laquer Head

I told you guys I'm not network literate. Would one of these be a better choice.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UG5529395
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA00Y4536323

Let me elaborate that my computers and entertainment center are wired. I use wireless for a laptop, streaming netflix in the bedroom, cell phones, and X-box.

No worries, just use the many brains here to your advantage before pulling the trigger.,. 9 times outta 10 we can suggest the right product for the user.. this time you might have rushed or jumped the gun.

Given that you pay for a really good internet..you wanna take the step up into AC wireless.. dual or even tri band.. takes care of all your devices and is current standard for most home applications.

Agent Smith

I told you guys I'm not network literate. Would one of these be a better choice.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UG5529395
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA00Y4536323

Let me elaborate that my computers and entertainment center are wired. I use wireless for a laptop, streaming netflix in the bedroom, cell phones, and X-box.

Are you using AC devices? Do you require Gigabit speeds? Are all of your devices WIFI?

Like I said, 5 GHz doesn't penetrate though walls very well. Since I run ethernet I don't need AC because only the laptop, smartphone and Amazon Echo Dot use WIFI and they don't need Gigabit speed. If you're in that same bracket, then the router you purchased is fine.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Are you using AC devices? Do you require Gigabit speeds? Are all of your devices WIFI?

Like I said, 5 GHz doesn't penetrate though walls very well. Since I run ethernet I don't need AC because only the laptop, smartphone and Amazon Echo Dot use WIFI and they don't need Gigabit speed. If you're in that same bracket, then the router you purchased is fine.
So you want to recommend a $85 Wireless N router over a $70 AC router?

Laquer Head

I run a tri-band AC ASUS router all day, every day with 10+ devices at any given time, across a 3 floor home with many walls, pipes, and assorted debris in between - over both 5g bands - never ever have issues.

Geoff

VIP Member
A normal drywall wall is only about 3dB of loss. Now if he has brick or concrete walls between his rooms, 5GHz is likely going to be fine. Besides, our concern is that he bought a 5GHz N wireless router instead of AC.

Agent Smith

So you want to recommend a $85 Wireless N router over a $70 AC router?

I didn't pay that much.

Besides, our concern is that he bought a 5GHz N wireless router instead of AC.

802.11N can be 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.

His Internet connection speed is just around 100 MbPS anyway, AC isn't going to improve upon that one bit. The only benefit will be sharing files between computers or if he has a HTPC or some file server.