Router Upgrade?

jevery

I appreciate everyone's help and opinion. Mine doesn't always align with the majority either. I did change routers to a Netgear R6700 (AC1750) $105 from Amazon. I've got to start checking prices against Newegg, but I do like and use their return policy. Thanks all.............

Intel_man

VIP Member
That's a good router. Nice purchase.

I would dare to say, Amazon's return policy is even better than Newegg's.

Geoff

VIP Member
802.11N can be 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.

His Internet connection speed is just around 100 MbPS anyway, AC isn't going to improve upon that one bit. The only benefit will be sharing files between computers or if he has a HTPC or some file server.
Yes, but the Asus he originally bought was 5GHz N. It doesn't matter now anyways since he upgraded to the R6700.

Even if he has 100Mbps, 5GHz is going to make a huge improvement for both speed and reliability.

Laquer Head

I appreciate everyone's help and opinion. Mine doesn't always align with the majority either. I did change routers to a Netgear R6700 (AC1750) $105 from Amazon. I've got to start checking prices against Newegg, but I do like and use their return policy. Thanks all.............

Nice man!! Good Choice!

Agent Smith

Even if he has 100Mbps, 5GHz is going to make a huge improvement for both speed and reliability.

So are you saying my N66U is shit then? Because it ain't and suffices quit well and is a vast improvement from the WRT54GL I had.

I don't have AC hardware anyways. Perhaps the smartphone and Amazon Echo could use it, but I don't have Gigabit Internet so it's a complete waist.

Intel_man

VIP Member
So are you saying my N66U is shit then? Because it ain't and suffices quit well and is a vast improvement from the WRT54GL I had.

I don't have AC hardware anyways. Perhaps the smartphone and Amazon Echo could use it, but I don't have Gigabit Internet so it's a complete waist.
There's more to the newer AC protocol than just faster speed over N.

Geoff

VIP Member

No, because I said 5GHz would be better for performance and reliability in most cases. Your N66U is a 2.4 and 5GHz router.

Intel_man

VIP Member
From personal experience, the signal strength increase I got with Asus RT-AC88U compared to my old Linksys WRT610n is significant, let alone the speed difference. It's also got quite a decent amount of features that your average household can benefit from along with features.

Agent Smith

No, because I said 5GHz would be better for performance and reliability in most cases. Your N66U is a 2.4 and 5GHz router.

Yes, but the Asus he originally bought was 5GHz N.

He bought the same router I had until he decided to spend more.

It's also got quite a decent amount of features that your average household can benefit from along with features.

Features!

end even more.

Wow!

And I thought Asus Merlin or DD-WRT was where it was at. How be damned... LMAO

jevery

Capture.JPG

HUGE difference - pegged the dial. I assumed the router was basically just a pass-thru for my Ethernet connected devices, but no. My 5G wireless devices are about 3X faster too. Thanks.....................................