Same old same old

spirit

Staff member
Your trying to overclock a Celeron right? The 3570K should overclock a hell of a lot better than a Celeron does.

wolfeking

banned
right. And the fact it is a celeron has little if anything to do with teh voltage control. It should be able to hold a bit above 102. 110 should be fairly stable, as little OC as that is. But 1.5 volts @ 102 and still not stable lends me to say the board is not great. I could very well lower the multi, but I think even then it is not going to be stable.

2570k would Oc better yes. But I am not using a 3570k, if anything I am going with the 2600k. But I think I am also going to a p67, as it would run better with them. I can easily sell my Extreme 4 to cover the cost.

Let me rephrase this. I bought a cheap board. there is no way around that. Cheap stuff sucks.

spirit

Staff member
Sorry my bad, I forgot you were going for a 2600K. A 2600K and a P67 board should be fine for overclocking. Celerons aren't really for overclocking. :/

wolfeking

banned
only the ones based on Sandy bridge. They used to be the best out there for OC.

I'm sorry, there is a lot running through my head and I am getting hard to follow. :(
Okay, so newegg is limited on the P67 front and it looks like the ASRock Fatality 1 professional is the only one that fits. Maybe there is something else out there.

mobo must have
  • multiple PCIe x16 ports
  • PS2 keyboard and mouse ports (explaining below). Not a combined port either.
  • Debug LED
  • UEFI BIOS (I intend to go to a RAID array of 3TB drives)
I prefer it to have
  • black or red in colour. Combinations are okay.
  • heatsinks on mosfets
  • ATA100 and Floppy ports.

I want it to have both PS2 ports and not a combined port because I am trying to get into using reactOS and its current build has very limited USB support. I have tried the combined ports with a splitter and it is spotty at best.

okay, so I am now looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220673 (x2)
and a cooler. still debating between air and water. Also debating voyagerfan's 6870 or just waiting and getting the 670/680.

spirit

Staff member
I like the look of the Fatal1ty board, that looks like a pretty good board to me. I don't think you'll find any other P67 boards with two separate PS/2 ports, most boards either don't have them at all or these days or they're combined.

I'd go for air cooling or maybe an H50 if you're not intending to overclock massively. Don't spend your money on stuff you don't need.

wolfeking

banned
I love the look of it too. And I notice the lack of PS2 everywhere these days. Getting hard to find a keyboard or mouse to fit them too. :/ but I can make due, think I got a few in the closet that would work.

any advice as far as the 6870 or wait? I know P67 will not allow HD3000, but should I go for something better than the 4870 or save it for a while?

spirit

Staff member
I'd stick with your 4870 for a while and then when you have the money go for something better. I can't remember which card you were looking to go with originally.

wolfeking

banned
I have changed my mind so freaking much I don't remember. I know I have looked at the 480, 6950, 6870, 670, 680, and 580. I was originally back in the day (january I think) I was going to go with 580 SLI, but I don't know now. I would think either a 6950 CF or 670 non SLI. Be about the same price either way. But again, I am on a limited resolution currently, and I am very picky so I don't know what I will do when I go to upgrade the monitor. Probably going to get a better case eventually too. I like the 912, but it is so small. eh, but that will be left for later.

okay, so i will stick to the 4870 and still be execellent for what I do. gaming my CPU is the limit right now anyway. I was getting 30FPS on MOH with FAH running and high 50s with FAH off. So a 2600k should help some. I know it will help with ArmaII as it recommends a i5 iirc.

spirit

Staff member
I'd just go for a 670 if you can afford it. By the time you buy anyway, the 660 may finally be here, so maybe that would be a good choice?

spirit

Staff member
Well it looks like you have a plan of sort now. You should a massive difference between the G530 and the 2600K.

wolfeking

banned
well, they will both do the same thing. Just a row boat vs a Jetplane. Takes a while to get to england in a rowboat though. lol.
I think I will like it though. not having to wait so long to do things.

spirit

Staff member
The i7 should be faster at pretty much everything, should be a lot better for gaming too. You may not even need to upgrade your video card for a while once you've got the 2600K.

wolfeking

banned
I doubt that. the 4870 is basically a 6790 on the 55nm scale. Its pretty low range today. And sucks power and creates oh so much heat.

But I do think the i7 will beat it in everything.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I know a 4870 isn't a great card, but you may notice with the i7 your games run faster.

I actually think for 720p a 6870 would be fine to be perfectly honest, but if you want to upgrade to 1080p or 1440p later, it would probably be wise to buy something like a 670 or a 7950 when you replace the 4870.

wolfeking

banned
I know I will go the Nvidia route. But I don't really know right now what I will get. I know for sure I am not upgrading the monitor for a bit. I need to get a bigger desk first to hold it and the TV too.

I think all I am going to get this coming up month is the 2600k or 3570k and a cooler. See also other issues croping up with my laptops. *rage face here*

wolfeking

banned
see also my laptop thread. I might not have enough. and is HT only a 20% increase. So at 4GHz the 2600 would meet a 3570k @ 4.8Ghz. That is a very possible OC, yes?

spirit

Staff member
3570K @ 4.8GHz? On air that's pushing it, on a liquid cooler or something like an H100 it would probably be just possible. For some reason, Ivy CPUs run hotter than Sandys when overclocked.