Same old same old

spirit

Staff member
I reckon you should be able to get 4.5GHz on the H100 with the 2600K or the 3570K. There's not going to be an awful lot of difference between 4.5GHz and 4.8GHz though.

wolfeking

banned
I am definately not getting a H100. I am 99% sure I am gunna have to replace my god dang laptop too. So it is going to be a processor only and that. Cooler to come later.

The idea was that a 2500k at 4.8 should match the 2600k at 4.0 because HT adds 20% and 2% of 4000 is 800, so 4.8, yes?

spirit

Staff member
Yeah theoretically a 2500K at 4.8GHz would match a 2600K at 4.0, but remember that the 2600K has hyper-threading, and no matter how far you overclock the 2500K, it's never gonna have 8 threads, so in multi-threaded applications the i7 will always come out on top.

I had board instabilities with my 2500K at around 4.5GHz using the cooler in my signature. the PC would boot, die, and then start up again. Removing/lowering the overclock to 4.3 seemed to sort it. I'm sure with better cooling you could get 4.5GHz with no problems, but my cooler only cost £20.

wolfeking

banned
well I don't think blender is going to show a heck of a lot difference with the two. It should be more GPU based when rendering anyway.

I really do not know what to do, as as soon as I get it just where I want it something will break anyway. I know how life works. :I

spirit

Staff member
Oh right if you're going to be using Blender just pick up a 3570K. Nothing should break if you pick decent components and make sure you don't damage them.

wolfeking

banned
It is more than quality components. Something will always break. Just a matter of time, and because its dumb luck it will be the most expensive part and be refused RMA.

But yea. I will see what I can do. 2600k should be fine, but I don't know.

spirit

Staff member
Well exactly what programs are you going to use? That really depends on which CPU you want.

wolfeking

banned
I will be using a lot of different programs. The 2600k and 3770k are the top of the line with LGA1155, so I want to go with one of them if possible. It's not a fact of will it do what I want to do. I want something that will do 175% of why I need so I never have to ask "will it run?" I can just install and go.

spirit

Staff member
IIRC, the 2600K is quite a lot cheaper than the 3770K, so I'd go for that if you want to save some money.

wolfeking

banned
It is quite a bot cheaper for it. I don't need a 3rd gen at all. It will all depend on how much it will cost to get a replacement laptop.

wolfeking

banned
It's got to be. I have to have a working laptop that don't overheat for school. Which sucks. I should be able to pick up a T60 or something cheap. Which would help a lot.

spirit

Staff member
ThinkPad T60?? I bet you could get one of those dirt cheap these days... probably last another hundred years too.

wolfeking

banned
The run 249 on newegg, but I want one with at least a NVS140m or the like. I will look at eBay and see what I can find. But it is going to cost more than it is worth definaty.

spirit

Staff member
Don't pay 249 for one, they're pretty old now aren't they? I'm sure you could pick up a second hand one fairly cheaply on eBay?

wolfeking

banned
They wer the direct competitor to the D630, so about 6 years old I think. Do you know what the worstation T60 would have been? I know the T520 is the W520, but I don't remember ever seeing a w60 out there. :(

spirit

Staff member
wolfeking said:
Do you know what the worstation T60 would have been? I know the T520 is the W520, but I don't remember ever seeing a w60 out there.
No I don't I'm afraid. :(

wolfeking

banned
okay vista I think I figured it out. The T60 was a workstation and plain ol mobile office machine. Just depended on the graphics card choice. I found one with a FX570m which should be somewhere around a 8600m GT I think (36/256mb/128 bit) and a 2GHz processor (T7300 is advertised, basically a 800 bus version of what I have in the T7200). Its $260 though. The Nvidia cards are quite expensive in these and seeing a lot of the 3650 and 3470 in the T400 replacements. :( So probably going with this T60, unless you see something amazingly better on ebay buy it now under 400 with Core 2 or newer and a dedicated DX10 card or newer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...52905889?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3377c7a9a1 is the one I am looking at.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Laptops-Net...pt=Laptops_Nov05&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=400 is the list I narrowed teh search to.

So with that T60 I should be able to get a Air cooler and a 2600k. I think. Should be 320 + 260 so 580 of 850. Yea, with that I can afford everything.

spirit

Staff member
I'd say the T60 looks like a decent machine. If it means you can afford stuff for your desktop too, I'd say it's a good choice.