Same old same old

FuryRosewood

SSD. Probably will yeild the best for responsiveness in the system, no one seems to have mentioned this yet. OCZ or something...cheap

spirit

Staff member
SSD. Probably will yeild the best for responsiveness in the system, no one seems to have mentioned this yet. OCZ or something...cheap

I agree an SSD would be good, but I think he wants to improve his performance in games, in which case a more powerful CPU and GPU would be what he needs. There isn't much difference between gaming on a HDD vs an SSD, but I agree, for general responsiveness an SSD is the key. I like the Crucial M4 myself, but there are other good ones too. Maybe an upgrade for you down the line, Wolfe?

FuryRosewood

Reasoning? I thought myself they were smoke and mirrors, but nothing ive dropped in a machine before has made such a dramatic change in how my desktop responds.

and vista:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lR0XoHFU6Y

Watch that, saying there Isn't much of a difference in gaming, is kinda off, in wow alone, i notice all dungeons load far faster for me than anyone else, i start moving before anyone else does and can get started before their even loaded.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
reasoning.
1. Size.
-Too small in the price range
2. Price
- Why in the world would I spend $1 or more per GB to have faster loading when I can have all the speed I need for $.09 per GB or less. And on top of that you NEED windows 7 to use an SSD to its top, and I am not going to go for that.
3. Smoke and mirrors.
- Like it or not, the speed is not needed. Games are not going to be on one if I use one, thus I will not see a improvement. You might argue it all you want, but I am not going to go for one. If I am going to spend 80+ dollars in storage space it is going to be a heck of a lot bigger than 60 GB and its going to be mechanical.

Oh, get windows 7, or Windows 8! XP is pretty awful now, and I'm not saying that out of stupidness, I was using it for a year on my lappy and a week on my desktop, it was terrible.

wolfeking

banned
you do not know how to use it right if you think its horrid, but that is besides the point. I am not using XP, and the fact that you assume that is interesting. I am using Vista Ultimate and 2000 Pro, and I am not upgrading them for at least 10 years.

Actually, xp is horrid for gaming, because if issues with newer tech, and steam loads slow even with a very fast pc on xp. If you browse the web only, it should be fine. Andni do know how to use it, I have had xp pcs for the last 6 years.

wolfeking

banned
STEAM loads in seconds on a 5400 ROM drive running a 2 year old install of XP pro on my M90. And it will support up to DX9 and many games can be made to work on it. STOP DERAILING MY THREAD, but while we are at it, your knowledgeless about it. Heck I run MW3 on windows 2000 and have no a dang problem besides the once in a while frame drop but that is from old drivers.

I am using 2000 and Vista. They both are staying, and no SSD is going to mess it up. SO STFU please.

wolfeking

banned
driver. I am not a damn programmer for Nvidia or Dell or ATI. and it does not really matter because that it still gets ~30 FPS and is mainly stable.

again, If it does not go with the thread shut it. your derailing.

Russ88765

Hey I noticed in your signature you are sporting a Seagate 1tb drive. Would you be opposed to a Momentus HD/SSD hybrid drive as a middle ground? Great price for good speed and they do offer them with a good deal of space too. Sorry if that derails at all, just wanted to throw an idea out there since you appear to have no issues with Seagate.

wolfeking

banned
actually that does not derail at all. Your trying to help.

Really I do not think I need anything over the 1TB I have. If I need more speed I can always get another one and put them in RAID 1. But if I do that, then I will still have to reload my OS. :(

Sorry for derailing. 1 TB is a lot. I can't imagine to many people using more, but if you wanted to, I would put them in raid 0+1.

wolfeking

banned
I have already used 87% of my 1 TB drive. Its almost full. I do do more than just games ya know.

but I do not think I will do 0+1 as yall are on about speed and that needs at least 3 dives. I can get a single 3TB drive cheaper than getting another 2 1TB for 0+1.

wolfeking

banned
I am serious. and its not really that much space for some people. Especially if they back up everything and keep everything like I do.

spirit

Staff member
but I do not think I will do 0+1 as yall are on about speed and that needs at least 3 dives. I can get a single 3TB drive cheaper than getting another 2 1TB for 0+1.
Yeah I'm with Wolfe here. I don't like RAID-0 and really the speed difference between a single fast HDD and two in RAID-0 is negligible, and the drives are mire likely to fail in RAID-0 and overall it's just more expensive. I know byteninja is on about RAID 0+1 but I'd still just get a single large drive.

Just upgrade the CPU and possibly the RAM first and then be done with it for a while. Graphics card is next on the upgrade list most likely but a 4870 should be OK for the time being.

wolfeking

banned
yea. Isn't the HD4870 just a older version of the HD6790? Same core count, DDR5 and 256 bit.

But either way, The CPU is going first. RAM is going in there too. and maybe a better PSU too.

FuryRosewood

seagate momentus xt drives are 750gb with a 8gb ssd cache on them, the longer their used, the faster they get, since you arent planning on upgrading the drives, id go that route. however id wait a while on them as their still 150 bucks a piece for each, and you wont see massive improvements till you use them more and more, their a learning drive per say.

and unless the gpu money is burning a hole in your pocket...wait on the midrange stuff coming for the green team, if its anything like the 670, id say the 660 should be awesome value for money.