sata hardrive help urgent for god help me

darkd3vil

yeah so i got the compute going and whenver i try to install ex it says to be exac. Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.
make sure any hard disk drives are powerd on and proerly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware confiuration is correct this may involve runing a manufacturer-supplied dianostic or setup programe setup cannot contine. to quit pree f3

so any help guys i need help its a brand new seagate 80g harddrive to a aopen ak89 max mobo both brand spanking new

darkd3vil

oh and when i go into cmos it says my ide drive is in the secondary maseter slot how do i get it into primary master slot oh this is crazy som1 help me

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If i understand SATA correctly ... there isna t concept of "Master" and "Slave" anymore since all the drives are on their own channels.... you sure you have a SATA drive?

darkd3vil

yea i do because, the sata cable plugs into and on newegg it said it was and the cable plugs into both ends of it

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
yea I do because, the sata cable plugs into and on newegg it said it was and the cable plugs into both ends of it
???!!!??? Just because "it" plugs into both ends doesnt mean it is SATA (PATA drives plug into both ends too!)
:)

darkd3vil

well on the harddrive it says seagate serial ATA. in a funky logo and my mobo connects with sata so im confused again, it just says it cant find it

darkd3vil

im gonna try the sata cable that came with mobo because i bought one because i didnt think the mobo came with it so im gonna try that please offer more advice though

darkd3vil

Praetor said:
If i understand SATA correctly ... there isna t concept of "Master" and "Slave" anymore since all the drives are on their own channels.... you sure you have a SATA drive?
and i was talkin about the cd drive

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ok now we're starting to get somewhere. Your CD drive is PATA. Your HDD is SATA. If the CD drive is the only non-sata device you have then you dont have to worry about master or slave.

As for getting your drives to work, you're gonna need to enable SATA boottime support in your BIOS (or even easier, just boot off the CD when you install)

darkd3vil

which cd should i be booting from i dont have any all i got is the open help cd and that is all. i got a stat driver diskette but i dont have a flooppy disk in my comptuer right now.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
which cd should I be booting from I dont have any all I got is the open help cd and that is all. I got a stat driver diskette but I dont have a flooppy disk in my comptuer right now.
How were you planning on installing an OS? You're gonna need either some CD, a floppy drive or a booting drive to get the OS kickstarted

darkd3vil

i got windows xp disk, a illegal copy because i cant afford a good one right now, its fromn the one on the home puter with a diff key, but it says it cant find the harddrive

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well....

As for getting your drives to work, you're gonna need to enable SATA boottime support in your BIOS (or even easier, just boot off the CD when you install)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You're gonna have to go through the BIOS and look for it. I'd start by reading the mobo manual. Depending on the mobo you've got you might even have to enable jumpers somewhere (doubt it but i have heard of it).

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You seem unsure of what you are looking for exactly and I cant really say (without at least a model name/number) i can help much but i strongly advise you read the manual instead (the BIOS section of the manual at least) ... less possibilities for messing things up and you can get descriptions on what everything is

darkd3vil

i am unsure, and it ddint have a manual i got a disk for a online manual so im dling adobe 6.0 so i can read it and then i should be good i hope

darkd3vil

i dont think i can read the manual its gonna take about3 hours to dl adobe. and well i cant wait around that long i have to work today and plus my family needs the puter so i dont know i am most likly giving up