Server

g4m3rof1337

Whats the best way to set up a LAN server.
I am using XP Pro and a switch.
I have this CSS server setup for the LAN, like with maps and cycleing and stuff, so I would have to transfer that over if I get another OS. Should I get another OS?

Whats the best way to connect on a network.

I want to use internet, but not for the whole LAN.

Thanks

JamesC

Nothing is wrong with using XP pro to host a single CSS server. If you have lots of money, grab server 2003 or something. Otherwise, Pro is fine.

Nothing is wrong with using XP pro to host a single CSS server. If you have lots of money, grab server 2003 or something. Otherwise, Pro is fine.

Server 2003? It is a pile of money, anyway, Server 2007 is about to come out

When you say you want Internet, what do you mean?

If you mean as having Internet at a LAN party, just put in some type of internet connection into the 1st port on the switch put the server as two. You might wanna find some LAN configuration software, you can configure your switch with that and monitor things. You need a highly configurable switch, what kind do you have?

Last edited:

DrCuddles

i would recommend you user SBS 2003 to get the best setup. I kno Server 2007 is on its way, but it will be full of bugs in the frist year or so, so i'd stick with 2003.

From my experience with the new 2007 products, they have seemed to hammer out the majority of the bugs in the first versions, i was happy with the Beta releases, the Full Just contained all the features.

IMO Server 2007 will be good in its first release :)

garethcia

banned
From my experience with the new 2007 products, they have seemed to hammer out the majority of the bugs in the first versions, i was happy with the Beta releases, the Full Just contained all the features.

IMO Server 2007 will be good in its first release :)

I do not believe this is the case, as Vista Business had bugs in during my installation, problems with sound etc.

All Microsoft Products have bugs, including their updates.

DrCuddles

I do not believe this is the case, as Vista Business had bugs in during my installation, problems with sound etc.

All Microsoft Products have bugs, including their updates.

I've installed both Ultimate and Enterpirse on my computer in the past and had no problems, yes the old products where released riddled with holes, but MS have improved greatly.

There is a compatiablilty tester which tests all your software and hardware to make sure it will be compatiable, i just removed the programs in that and had no problems, maybe you should have looked at that before installing :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
There is a compatiablilty tester which tests all your software and hardware to make sure it will be compatiable, i just removed the programs in that and had no problems, maybe you should have looked at that before installing

Some top advice there, I totaly agree with it, you should always check things out before rushing in!

codeman0013

I agree as well i installed vista several times and never had one issue with it at all. I have 5 licensed copies from school and its on all 5 machines i have and do have now. Sounds like you just didnt follow the prompts right or didnt check to see if all was compatable before upgrading..

tlarkin

VIP Member
wow

all of you are completely wrong in this thread, sorry not trying to be a dick, but let me set a few facts for you all.

1) CSS does not need to run on a sever OS, in fact it is probably not recommended. Also a server OS cost a lot for like a 5 user license, its nearly $1,000 dollars, so that would be retarded to even consider it.

2) You do need to be on the same ip range and subnet to be networked over TCP/IP, this is standard

3) Anyone who suggested buying windows server for hosting a LAN is, well misinformed.

The best way to get everyone internet access, and the best way to get everyone on the same IP scheme and subnet is to just hook up that 24 port switch into a router. A router will act as a DHCP server giving every client their own IP on the same subnet as everyone else. You can even set the range to like 192.168.1.50 ~ 100 allowing 50 clients to connect to your network. Then you can set up what is called static DHCP on the machine that is your server, and give it an ip of lets say for arguments sake, 192.168.1.10 (192.168.1.1 would most likely be your router) then anyone who wanted to map any network shares to your server or what not could by the IP. Then you can download and install HLDS on the machine that is the dedicated server which should either be running a client version of windows (ie windows xp) or Linux since HLDS can be ran on both platforms.

All of this can be easily accomplished and configured by using a $50 dollar router, and better yet if you get one compatible with some third party firmware like DD-WRT you can do a lot cooler things down the road. So, if you got out and spend $1,000 on a 5 user license for windows server not only would I laugh at you for wasting all that money, you should probably be spending your money on better things.

Server OSes are not meant for running games, plus any machine can act as a dedicated server. I think a lot of you are not fully getting what each of these means. they are the same words but really mean two different things. A server OS is meant for management, and you find those in businesses and Educational organizations, etc. A dedicated server is just any old client machine that is sacrificed, ie not playable, for your video game. Not to be confused with what a server does in an enterprise level network.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Okay, this is how you should set it up

ISP provided modem > connect to router > connect router to switch > hook up all mahines on LAN to switch and use DHCP (which is the default setting in windows)

Then everyone is on the same network and has internet access, and can file share if you enable file sharing on their machine.

done.

g4m3rof1337

The ISP thing is a router to, I think.

It gives me wired and wireless connections.

I have a NetGear router. It does the same thing as the 2wire.

Thanks

tlarkin

VIP Member
yes the 2wire device sounds like a router, so hook that up to the switch then have all your LAN clients plug into that switch as well. The router will act as the DHCP server and put them all on the same network and allow them all internet access. However, a router from your ISP may have to be reconfigured, and I haven't ever really messed with 2wire stuff a lot so you may have to download the manual to see how to do this.