Setup and manage SSD discussion thread

linkin

VIP Member
Here, I can edit in any agreed upon/approved guide changes as they happen. Once there's enough to warrant the edit effort, I'll make the changes then remove them from here. And continue with that method to it's conclusion.

Questions to viewers:
1-thoughts on{these}
2-add remark or instructions to move temp-tmp-cashe-or anything else?
3-verifying TRIM and some other adjustmets? which ones?

To be added/changed:
1-comment on 64 vs 32 bit ram/pagefile management
2-verifying TRIM and some other adjustmets

You ask a mod, supermod, or admin to unlock it while you edit it, and get them to close it up afterwards. John/mep did this for me with the PSU sticky, just ask :)

Oh and as for feedback, the grey and orange are hard to contrast on the white background, try using some clearer colours. :eek:

Benny Boy

You ask a mod, supermod, or admin to unlock it while you edit it, and get them to close it up afterwards. John/mep did this for me with the PSU sticky, just ask :)

Oh and as for feedback, the grey and orange are hard to contrast on the white background, try using some clearer colours. :eek:
Thanks linkin.
Yes, I meant putting a couple/few changes there in that post. Then edit so we're not going back and forth so much.
OK to the colors.

I'm finding that diskpart may not be as suitable for secure erase as a couple other options. I think just having the manuf recommend for that, and 1 or 2 diff options, w/o the instruction on how to use them. Parted Magic and HDDerase.

Also, I've listed 2 ways to keep some unused drive space, and 1 method should be fine. The small unused partition method.

Thoughts anyone?.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not crazy about all the airplane analogies. Other than that, I've only skimmed through it but I'll have a closer look. So far it looks great.

Benny Boy

I'm not crazy about all the airplane analogies.
meh..lol. I thought it made it fun since they are, as you say-analogies. Would you like it bettter if, (post#4) 7-reword taxying runway/remove nice flight?

Anyone have any thoughts on these?
4-change secure erase w/diskpart, to manuf +links to parted magic and/or hdderase
5-have 1 partition instruction for the 'reserving flash' option using 'Shrink volume'

These would simplify/shorten the guide and reduce chances for error, imo.

Benny Boy

I've changed the Guide up a little bit. It's more consice in a couple areas.
Some wording has been changed for better clarity.
And the page format is different,,still a bit to go on that.

How's it looking?
Is it easy to follow?
What would you do different?
Do you think something should be added/removed/changes?

Benny Boy

Thanks. Had to start somewhere. I'll have what I consider to be the rest of it ready in a day or 2. I only have a couple other things to contribute, so I's very close to being done, imo.

tremmor

Can't wait. The reason my kids bought me a SSD for my birthday. Love a new adventure though. Looking forward for the completion. thanks. perfect timing for me.

Benny Boy

The guide is in it's final edit stage. Does anyone have any suggestions before it's reviewed for approval?

Benny Boy

If you've read the guide, the only change as been:
>added sentence in TiPS for GC.
>added item 16-16bit program sentence.
>HELP LINKS @ bottom.

Okedokey

Just a word of warning, on some systems, setting ACHI will make existing partions non-discoverable under windows. I wouldn't recommend setting it to ACHI mode unless you need that functionality. In fact it can actually decrease performance on synchronous write/reads such as in gaming or music playing.

Benny Boy

Most all SSD's will perform much better/faster in ACHI. It can be hard to change if Windows initially picks it up in IDE.
"AHCI must be supported and enabled by both the system BIOS and OS (May require F6 installation of compatible windows storage driver like IMSM. Note: Vista AHCI support is native)"
ref: http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-029623.htm

For a non os hdd with partitions/data, setting that port to IDE would be an option.
Question is it did come with P.S. cable, mod kit for installing in case and Sata cable to be used. Is this a standard Sata cable? I was just curious or is it different.
If it's x25 or x18 it's Sata II, so that's the cable they would send. You could use II or III.
There's a recent FW update for one of them.

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I don't think you can switch back and forth between AHCI and IDE. If you want to run AHCI, you have to install Windows while in that mode.

Benny Boy

Awesome. I installed my SSD in IDE mode and when I switched to AHCI, it wouldn't boot. I'm gonna set this up right now. :gun:

This is something you could incorporate in your guide benny boy. :)
I actually had it in there at one point. But it was MS's "Mr. fix it" button. And I guess it could still be. The only thing is it seemed to diminish the importance of setting to ACHI before the first restart, since the registry fix after isn't always a cure. I'll get it in there tho, (along with a couple other things I have that don't really change the substance), this WE. GL with your switcharoo mep, let us know how it works out.