Setup and manage SSD discussion thread

ser7ach

Hi everyone,

I want to connect four OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs to an ASUS P5N-T Deluxe 780i SLI motherboard in RAID 0(striped) configuration. This motherboard has SATA 2 interface whereas Vertex 3s have SATA 3, so there will be a bottleneck yes.

What I'm wondering is, should I use the native nVidia SATA/RAID drivers of the motherboard's NVIDIA MediaShield SATA/RAID controller, or should I stick with default Windows 7 drivers? Which option would produce better compatibility and performance?

Anyone using SSDs with that sort of motherboard?

Thank you.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If you read through the guide, it says to use the MoBo drivers.

You may see some bottleneck, but not a giant noticeable difference.

claptonman

So if I buy a used motherboard with a different product key on it, can I save the image of my SSD and reformat to use the motherboard?

Benny Boy

Not sure I undertand the ? but you know Windows or Windows image won't play on a diff mb from which it was installed unless it's retail, then you wouldn't need the image of it.

You mean image the ssd then clean it and install it to a diff mb? You want to change the mb in your sig and use the ssd/os and its oem Windows?

KasperL

I find this guide very confusing, because I am not a big tech-head.

Is every step very important, or can I just plug the SSD in, and then do the BIOS settings?

Benny Boy

imo, If you try to understand it all it could be difficult. If you just follow it along it's not so bad. Since when it was written 60GB was the norm and now 100GB is pretty much the starting price point, it could stand to be changed up a little.

KasperL

imo, If you try to understand it all it could be difficult. If you just follow it along it's not so bad. Since when it was written 60GB was the norm and now 100GB is pretty much the starting price point, it could stand to be changed up a little.

I'd like to make sure, that you both understand that I like this guide a lot. Its very descriptive and informative. If I had just a tad bit more knowledge, I am sure that I would be able to setup my SSD in a perfect way, by using this guide. :)

Last edited:

claptonman

I have a suggestion.

Consider moving your libraries to your HDD instead.

Right-click from explorer, properties, and it'll show the path.

Then just make corresponding folders in the HDD for each one. You can even have your desktop be stored in your HDD.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I have a suggestion.

Consider moving your libraries to your HDD instead.

Right-click from explorer, properties, and it'll show the path.

Then just make corresponding folders in the HDD for each one. You can even have your desktop be stored in your HDD.

The best part about that is you don't need to backup your documents or anything when you reload Windows. You just point your user libraries to the HDD again and your stuff will be there.

demonikal

Instructions on changing location of SSD libraries to HDD for Win 8

Here's the instructions on how to change the location of your Windows libraries on your C: or OS drive to another drive, i.e. a hard drive or another solid state drive, if you don't want to take up excess room on your primary SSD (for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1).

Libraries include: Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Downloads folders.

1. Create a folder on the drive you want all your files to sit. You can have the same folder name, i.e. "Documents" or "Videos", etc., but it seems to make sense to make the folders the same names (however, using a different name won't screw anything up).

2. Add your files to that folder if they're not already there. In my case, they were backed up to an external drive. Your Windows 8 or 8.1 C: or OS drive is going to call your Videos folder, for example, C:\Users\Computer Name\Videos.

2. Go to your Videos folder, in this example, on your C: or OS drive. Right-click on it and choose the "Location" tab.

3. Change the target location. In my case, it was F:\Videos. Simply, type it in.

4. Hit Apply.

5. It asks you if you want to transfer any existing files from your C:\Users\Computer Name\Videos folder to your new location, if applicable. Click Yes.

6. You're done! :D

Currency

I do the same thing with my steam folders, but sadly when adding a folder to your steam library you cannot add folders that contain games :(
I only have 27 steam games with friends who have hundreds, so re-downloading them every time you reinstall windows or switch to a newer SSD is a pain.

Steam > Settings > Downloads > Content Libraries > Add folder

I have a primary folder on my 840 EVO, with a secondary folder on the OCZ Vertex which honestly has nothing else but games on it since I switched my primary SSD to the EVO just a couple of days ago. I also done the same thing with my Origin games folders as well. :)

Darren

Staff member
I added 47 games in a folder that was on my secondary HDD to my steam directory. They all load an run just fine with Steam installed on the SSD and pointing it to look in to my steam folder of games on my second drive. Didn't have to reinstall anything, Steam just saw the files and marked the games as installed.

Currency

That's odd, mine told me I could only add empty folder's. Would try it again, but I already deleted 54 GB's of games. :(