Should I install IE8?!!!

Should I install IE8?

• Yes

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 63.4%

• Total voters

compchip

My internet speed on dial-up is about 44kb/s, do you think IE8 would slow me? My comp. is prompting me to install IE8. I have heard of people having problems with it, do you think I should go ahead with the installation?

Thanks for any input.

ScottALot

DO NOT INSTALL EXPLORER 8!! Either convert or don't upgrade. When we installed 8, it made our internet so that it connects...disconnects...connects...disconnects. We are still working on the problem, but it happened RIGHT when we installed 8.

TFT

VIP Member
Yes, go ahead and install IE8. It's more efficient than 7 and has given me no problems at all.
Also install Firefox if you want all the kiddies extras that come with it.

But try Google's Chrome for a lightweight browser seeing you're on a slow connection

Last edited:

Mitch?

banned
I don't feel that IE 8 is fully worked out yet, it's always slower.
I'd suggest Google Chrome, as it's my personal favorite, and the proven fastest, or you can try Firefox, some people swear by it :)

Fatback

VIP Member
Do what I did install IE8 is it will stop asking you to do so then install firefox and never use IE again if its then change you are scared of then don't worry you can make it so firefox looks like IE so everything will be where you are used to it.

compchip

So far, IE8 is'nt looking so good. I am thnking that I should at least wait a while until all the bugs are worked out.

I have heard much about how much faster FF and Chrome are and am considering trying them. Sice my speed is pretty good for dial-up, I don't think that will improve much, but do you think that one of these will make my pages load faster? What would you reccomend for surfing on a slow connection (besides changing my internet:eek:)?

Thanks very much, all, for your input.:good:

linkin

VIP Member
He's right, even if you never use IE again it's a good idea to install the latest version seeing as microsoft tied IE into their o/s and therefore created security vulnerabilities... and they constantly update it which means there must be spyware etc that take advantage of it.

chibicitiberiu

He's right, even if you never use IE again it's a good idea to install the latest version seeing as microsoft tied IE into their o/s and therefore created security vulnerabilities... and they constantly update it which means there must be spyware etc that take advantage of it.

Than I really need an update, i still have IE6. :p
But I use firefox.

Quexos

Firefox works fine so I don't see the need to install IE8, but knowing Microsoft, I'd wager that it will self install sooner or later :rolleyes:

compchip

I have finally done it.....I have made the switch to FF! I have heard so much about it and about how so many people are using it and about how much fastger it is than IE so I just had to try it.

So far, I like it. With my slow internet connection, speed is something important to me and while I don't think it increased my actual internet speed, it does seem to load pages faster, which is what I wanted anyways. I have also done some tweeks to it I found online that supposedly make it even faster. I have also heard of an add-on called faster-fox, but am not sure yet if this will have any affect on dial-up.

I would also like to change the theme, but am not sure if this would make it a little slower than just the basic theme. Fast load times are what I am after. If anyone has any tricks to make it load even faster, I welcome them.

Some sites seem to load quite faster than IE, some just a little bit faster.
When I tested it on speedtest.net, the peak speed seemed to be about the same as with IE, sometimes slightly higher, but it appeared to begin downloading at a faster rate (3/4 of peak) at times which could account for the faster page loads.

As for IE, I still haven't upgraded, though it sometimes prompts me. I think I will wait a while. I would like to time page load time with FF and IE, when I do, I will post the results.

TANKS ALL FOR STEERING ME TO THIS AWESOME BROWSER.:good:

Fatback

VIP Member
I have finally done it.....I have made the switch to FF! I have heard so much about it and about how so many people are using it and about how much fastger it is than IE so I just had to try it.

So far, I like it. With my slow internet connection, speed is something important to me and while I don't think it increased my actual internet speed, it does seem to load pages faster, which is what I wanted anyways. I have also done some tweeks to it I found online that supposedly make it even faster. I have also heard of an add-on called faster-fox, but am not sure yet if this will have any affect on dial-up.

I would also like to change the theme, but am not sure if this would make it a little slower than just the basic theme. Fast load times are what I am after. If anyone has any tricks to make it load even faster, I welcome them.

Some sites seem to load quite faster than IE, some just a little bit faster.
When I tested it on speedtest.net, the peak speed seemed to be about the same as with IE, sometimes slightly higher, but it appeared to begin downloading at a faster rate (3/4 of peak) at times which could account for the faster page loads.

As for IE, I still haven't upgraded, though it sometimes prompts me. I think I will wait a while. I would like to time page load time with FF and IE, when I do, I will post the results.

TANKS ALL FOR STEERING ME TO THIS AWESOME BROWSER.:good:

I have installed a theme and about 10 other add on and mine is still just as fast as it was when I first downloaded it.