Should I wait for Bulldozer?

Wait until Bulldozer?

• Buy the Phenom II X4 955 BE now for $110.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Wait until Bulldozer comees out and buy a Bulldozer CPU.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Wait until Bulldozer comes out in hopes of a price drop on Phenom II CPUs.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Darren

Staff member
I am in the process of building my first computer. The CPU I'm planning on getting is the Phenom II X4 955 BE.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

Right now it's 10 dollars off with a promo code. My question is would it be worth it to wait until Bulldozer comes out? I don't know exactly when it's shipping out but I hear rumors of mid September, which is when I'm planning on finishing my build.

Should I buy the 955 now, or wait until Bulldozer to get one of those, or wait until Bulldozer and hope that the price of the 955 will go down when Bulldozer is released?

Thanks!

jonnyp11

do you already have the mobo? if so i'd try to return it for a refund, then see if it is as good as the 2500k, then buy the better one, otherwise i'd get the 955 for now and then sell it on ebay and buy bulldozer then.

Darren

Staff member
I don't have a motherboard now and selling my CPU on ebay isn't really possible.

Darren

Staff member
According to wikipedia the release date is the 19th of September. But it is Wikipedia after all....

wolfeking

banned
wait for bulldozer. Its not worth it to get a 955 now. Even if Zambezi dont perform on par with expectations, the Phenom II and Athlon II will come down in price.

AMD has said that Zambezi will ship "soon".
They have denied the Sep. 19th date that was in their trailer. But that don't men that it wont ship that day.

jonnyp11

sep 19 is the rumored one, yes, and why couldn't you sell the cpu, i was saying if you have the mobo now then buy the 955, use it for the next month and a half, then sell it on evay and you might loose 20-30 on it for over a month of use, then use that and some extra money to get bulldozer, but if it is less powerfull than the 2500k then get a lga1155 and the 2500k.

Darren

Staff member
Well I'm not going to have enough cash to finish my build until the rumored release anyway so I'll just hold off on it.

jonnyp11

and by then you'll be 3 months from both ivy and sb-e, along with the upgrade bulldozers, the flagship at launch is the 8150P 8 core black-edition, in jan they release the 8170, along with 1 or 2 others, and idk how many cores they will have, but i know the cheapest bulldozers start at 190 for the quad at this point, that's the rumor at least.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well I'm not going to have enough cash to finish my build until the rumored release anyway so I'll just hold off on it.

If your not going to have the cash untill around the release date to finish the build. Just wait! Then make a decision between Sandybridge or Zambezi.

As far as waiting to see if the Phenom II prices drop instead of getting a SB or Zambezi. As far as I know they have already stopped manufacturing them and are running inventory out. So no guarantee on what models will be available as time goes on.

jonnyp11

no, thought it was they stopped shipping them to the retailers on the 1st of 2012, but idk, either way they'll be on clearence soon.

StrangleHold

Staff member
From what I hear. They have enough Athlon II to last into the first quarter next year. The Phenom II will dry up by the end of the year. Each model will run out by demand and how much stock they have.

spynoodle

From what I hear. They have enough Athlon II to last into the first quarter next year. The Phenom II will dry up by the end of the year. Each model will run out by demand and how much stock they have.
Maybe this shows confidence by AMD in Bulldozer. Hopefully it isn't all just bull.

Punny. :p

spynoodle

LOL. I know I'm getting tired waiting on it. Going to end up breaking down and going back to Intel, can feel hell slightly freezing over.

Yeah, Intel takes more of a "Here are some new features, better performance, and the same price tag we've always had. Sandy bridge IZ PWNAGEZ!" They really don't need to hype anything up given that they're already the leader.

linkin

VIP Member
Don't buy a CPU just yet, if you're intent on getting Bulldozer, buy a nice 990FX board first, and if you really need a computer, you can buy a cheap Athlon II X2 to drop in.

But the 955 is a good capable CPU. And you have a chance to learn how the BIOS works on AMD systems if you don't know already (but you get that with the athlon as well)

Stretch1414

Definitely wait. I got a AM3+ board in my new computer for it just in case I wanted to upgrade. Now I wanted a good computer now and may not plan to upgrade until the Bulldozer's are out for a little while, but still, it's nice to have the upgradability.

Okedokey

I really don't understand the question. If you don't have the money until after BD release, where's the decision?

Darren

Staff member
I have the money to get a CPU now, but not enough money for my whole build now.

I'm waiting anyway and I'm getting an AM3+ motherboard so whatever route I do go, I'll be able to upgrade Bulldozer later.