Show off your speed

Agent Smith

Something wrong with that picture.

I said my upload was 1.5 MBPS. Not MbPS. Yours is the same as mine.. 8 bits in a byte, yo!

Did you not get a letter from Comcast saying you should get a new modem?

Isn't the gig package supposed to have 35-40 up?

How long are your runs? Most vaguely recent standard Cat5 can meet Cat5e specs. Terminations are usually a much larger culprit for not being able to negotiate at gig.

I only used two pairs, man. Not four.

Last edited by a moderator:

beers

Staff member
I'm not using new cables. I ran ethernet myself and crimped the connectors. I only wired up the cables for 100 MbPS. Not Gig speed. So it's just four wires not eight.
Holy shit dude take some context. 'i ran ethernet' is new cable at the time you ran it. Even back then it was a stupid idea.

If you want a quick fix just re-combine/reterminate both ends of a run you split off and use a gig switch.

Agent Smith

Not sure if you are trolling or just really stupid.

No, I honestly don't know WTF you're talking about. I have a router that has the capability to handle gig speed. All I need to do is rewire my ethernet cable throughout the house and I'll be good to go. Why in fruits name would I add a switch to the mix?

Last edited by a moderator:

Darren

Staff member
No, I honestly don't know WTF you're talking about. I have a router that has the capability to handle gig speed. All I need to do is rewire my ethernet cable throughout the house and I'll be good to go. Why in fruits name would I add a switch to the mix?
I think he's saying instead of rewiring the whole house for gig just do one of them which goes to a gig switch then run everything from the switch as it's likely closer than your router.

Could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.

beers

Staff member
I was under the assumption you split off a single cable into multiple 10/100 runs as that's really the only reason to intentionally terminate 4 of the 8 wires. The easiest fix in that scenario is to re-combine the single cable split and use a switch to forward frames from multiple hosts.

Agent Smith

Let me explain this very carefully.

I have a house.

I have multiple rooms in said house.

Most rooms have its own dedicated ethernet cable run.

Each ethernet cable run goes to one of four LAN connectors on the back of the router. I use all four LAN connectors in the router.

The router is Gig capable.

There is no "one line" or anything that complicates this.

The only thing I did that I need to fix is that each ethernet cable from each room is only using 4 individual wires, not all 8. You know, those little colored wires that you can see in a termination? Yeah... Just 4 of those means you only have 100 MbPS, and that's exactly what I have currently. I did not terminate all 8 individual wires for Gig speed. So now I have to cut off the cables and reterminate them with all 8 wires in each RJ45 connector.

Does this make sense? Perhaps you looked at my use of the words wire and ethernaet cable wrong.

See this diagram here and all 8 wires? https://imgur.com/1cdjN7E

You should have known what I was talking about long ago when I mentioned 4 wires and 8 wires.

beers

Staff member
Nice. I am more familiar with networking technologies than you'll ever be, I just can't wrap my head around why you would install something so effing retarded when it would have taken the same amount of time to do it properly.

Agent Smith

I just can't wrap my head around why you would install something so effing retarded when it would have taken the same amount of time to do it properly.

LOL! I just never thought I'd have Gig speed one day and due to to HELL! with my color blindness I just used 4 wires instead of monkeying around with trying to get all 8 aligned in a PITA of a RJ45 connector. Bad enough I had to reterminate one ethernaet cable a few times because it wasn't working right.

I may not get the new modem required for Gig right now though. I don't even need that kinda of speed. Sure, I could reterminate everything and brag my ass off here I guess. :D But I'm happy with 100 MbPS atm.