Show off your speed

Discussion in 'Internet Discussion' started by DirtyD86, Oct 18, 2007.

1. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

I used to manage some business class CenturyLink circuits for ARS in Winter Park, they were always a POS and the rate was significantly more expensive than other areas.

Kind of surprising given the proximity to Orlando.

Intel_man likes this.
  2. Intel_man

Intel_man VIP Member

Doesn't look like they'll improve their service when the FCC thinks competition only requires one ISP in the area.

3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Well-Known Member

Wow! I hope no one kicks you off the modem when they make a phone call! :D

[​IMG]

Notice the map even has Lake Obiwankenobi?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2018
  4. Intel_man

Intel_man VIP Member

Got a free bump in download speed by ISP starting today.

[​IMG]

5. Stattovic

Stattovic Member

6. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

Not surprising. Upstream is always terrible on consumer grade ISP packages with a few exceptions. Mobile usage is a lot more of a two way street for communication so makes sense they'd have more bandwidth for upstream from the device.

7. Darren

A speed test is going to use the maximum speed it can get from your provider, it's not indicating your actual usage.

8. Darren

Work.

Ayyy.... Turns out working for a network storage company has pretty good internet.

[​IMG]

9. beers

I'm jel. Our office does hosting and we have like 100 mbit between 300 people.

Our CEO got his own Google Fiber circuit, I was politically prevented from both getting anything faster than the 100 mbit tier, and also prevented from augmenting our existing circuit.

Yall hiring? :p

Intel_man likes this.
  10. Darren

Always are. :D

11. Origin Saint

Origin Saint Well-Known Member

I'd love to see what my speeds are at work, but my corporate overlords at Honeywell International have decided to firewall block some of the most random things on the internet. Like blocking all access to internet radio services and Spotify. But not blocking Reddit, Facebook, or YouTube.

12. beers

They sound lazy, those are usually predefined categories on the security appliance

Darren likes this.
  13. Darren

This is probably intended to reduce network strain and bandwidth usage, probably not really influenced by them not wanting you to listen to music. Agreed it's weird but probably the reason why.

14. Intel_man

Intel_man VIP Member

My phone has more upload than my home connection. :Feelsbadman:

[​IMG]

15. Origin Saint

But leaving YouTube when the concern is network strain and bandwidth usage makes no sense?

16. Darren

Youtube is far less likely to be running in the background for hours and hours on end on a good chunk of workstations. Also it has actual educational/productive uses too. I'm not saying I agree with it, just what their mentality likely is.

Hell even a few of my training videos are on YouTube. I haven't found anything that we block yet. Manager almost always has a reddit tab going.

17. Origin Saint

Brb finding 10 hour videos of Bee movie in 4K on YouTube to play on a loop.

_Kyle_ likes this.
  18. Darren

Lol I remember tracking down someone with high YouTube traffic usage at my last job. Was pretty easy.