Show off your speed

beers

Staff member
I think its about time to move. This is the fastest available to me.
I used to manage some business class CenturyLink circuits for ARS in Winter Park, they were always a POS and the rate was significantly more expensive than other areas.

Kind of surprising given the proximity to Orlando.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I used to manage some business class CenturyLink circuits for ARS in Winter Park, they were always a POS and the rate was significantly more expensive than other areas.

Doesn't look like they'll improve their service when the FCC thinks competition only requires one ISP in the area.

Agent Smith

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7605722598.png

I think its about time to move. This is the fastest available to me.

Wow! I hope no one kicks you off the modem when they make a phone call! :D

giphy.gif

Notice the map even has Lake Obiwankenobi?

Last edited by a moderator:

Darren

Staff member
it seems like my upload speed with EE 4G is faster than my home fibre optic which is weird.

get around 30-50 mbps upload speed.
Not surprising. Upstream is always terrible on consumer grade ISP packages with a few exceptions. Mobile usage is a lot more of a two way street for communication so makes sense they'd have more bandwidth for upstream from the device.

Darren

Staff member
I own the iPhone XS., do you know a way to compress data when using mobile browsers?

i’m not sure wherher it’s the phone using a lot of more web resources for better service... or whether some mobile network providers compress the data that is being used?
A speed test is going to use the maximum speed it can get from your provider, it's not indicating your actual usage.

beers

Staff member
Ayyy.... Turns out working for a network storage company has pretty good internet.
I'm jel. Our office does hosting and we have like 100 mbit between 300 people.

Our CEO got his own Google Fiber circuit, I was politically prevented from both getting anything faster than the 100 mbit tier, and also prevented from augmenting our existing circuit.

Yall hiring? :p

Darren

Staff member
I'm jel. Our office does hosting and we have like 100 mbit between 300 people.

Our CEO got his own Google Fiber circuit, I was politically prevented from both getting anything faster than the 100 mbit tier, and also prevented from augmenting our existing circuit.

Yall hiring? :p
Always are. :D

Origin Saint

I'd love to see what my speeds are at work, but my corporate overlords at Honeywell International have decided to firewall block some of the most random things on the internet. Like blocking all access to internet radio services and Spotify. But not blocking Reddit, Facebook, or YouTube.

Darren

Staff member
I'd love to see what my speeds are at work, but my corporate overlords at Honeywell International have decided to firewall block some of the most random things on the internet. Like blocking all access to internet radio services and Spotify. But not blocking Reddit, Facebook, or YouTube.
This is probably intended to reduce network strain and bandwidth usage, probably not really influenced by them not wanting you to listen to music. Agreed it's weird but probably the reason why.

Origin Saint

This is probably intended to reduce network strain and bandwidth usage, probably not really influenced by them not wanting you to listen to music. Agreed it's weird but probably the reason why.
But leaving YouTube when the concern is network strain and bandwidth usage makes no sense?

Darren

Staff member
But leaving YouTube when the concern is network strain and bandwidth usage makes no sense?
Youtube is far less likely to be running in the background for hours and hours on end on a good chunk of workstations. Also it has actual educational/productive uses too. I'm not saying I agree with it, just what their mentality likely is.

Hell even a few of my training videos are on YouTube. I haven't found anything that we block yet. Manager almost always has a reddit tab going.

Origin Saint

Youtube is far less likely to be running in the background for hours and hours on end on a good chunk of workstations. Also it has actual educational/productive uses too. I'm not saying I agree with it, just what their mentality likely is.
Brb finding 10 hour videos of Bee movie in 4K on YouTube to play on a loop.

In my part of WV internet seems to get worse as time goes by. I asked a guy at Walmart about a new router. He said new router wont help, it is slow unless you pay Frontier and extra $75 a month for 25mbps speed. He said he thinks there will be a lawsuit for Frontier, but he was just speculating.

My current speeds are:

Cox

0.7mbps Download
0.4 mbps Upload

Speedtest Ookla

0.47 Download
0.17 Upload

Spectrum

0.8 Download
0.4 Upload

Firs thing I get if I ever hit the lotto is fast internet. To make matters worse, my internet is down multiple times per day sometimes. Do you think this is the worse in the nation?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Contact your provider to see what speed package you are paying for. Thats ridiculous. If its no where close to what you are paying for, have them come out and test it. Connect straight to the modem and test that way too. Most provider modems will tell you what your upload and download speed is at.