Show off your speed

G80FTW

This is my speed on my desktop right now. I am on a wifi connection via an old 50Mbps Netgear wireless card, and as you can see I only have 2-3 bars of signal where I am. My router is located on the other end of my house so honestly thats pretty good.

This is my new router I just bought to replace my old WRT-54GS with signal booster and so far it is light years better. My old router kept needing to be reset because it would stop sending out IPs for devices and the speed was up and down like crazy. My new Linksys N900 EA4500 is the best router I have used.

Keep in mind this speed is on a wireless connection with poor signal via a wireless card from about 10 years ago when wireless first came about.

alexjb

2182327981.png

is it the higher the numbers the better? my grandad has virgin and he something like 30 and I think i have 3? thats what tiscali told us? but it's 13?

wolfeking

banned
The higher the number the better yes. What the number means is the fastest that you can download data from the internet. Basically if you start with a set unit, say 3000 data (saving from megabytes for this demo only) and you have three computers with 10, 100, and 1000 download speeds. The first one is going to take 300 seconds to complete it. 30 seconds for the second one, and 3 seconds for the last one.
Does that make sense?

alexjb

The higher the number the better yes. What the number means is the fastest that you can download data from the internet. Basically if you start with a set unit, say 3000 data (saving from megabytes for this demo only) and you have three computers with 10, 100, and 1000 download speeds. The first one is going to take 300 seconds to complete it. 30 seconds for the second one, and 3 seconds for the last one.
Does that make sense?

oh I see thank you :) do you think my internet is quite fast then? I thought itthe speed was 3megabytes but I guess it's 13? :) thanks :)

wolfeking

banned
It is faster than my wireless signal. It is not a really fast speed though. Upper of low really. But this is coming from my experiences with 30Mb download speeds.

Really, it is more dependent on the speed at which the servers you are downloading from can provide the data. I have yet to hit 10Mb let alone 30Mb on any download (Steam, Origin, Linux distro's, other various programs, MP3s).

alexjb

It is faster than my wireless signal. It is not a really fast speed though. Upper of low really. But this is coming from my experiences with 30Mb download speeds.

Really, it is more dependent on the speed at which the servers you are downloading from can provide the data. I have yet to hit 10Mb let alone 30Mb on any download (Steam, Origin, Linux distro's, other various programs, MP3s).

ok thank you :) I thought it was quite low, I live in the country and we cannot get any virgin internet here, but my dad is looking at getting sky via satellite which should be better :)

wolfeking

banned
I would not worry about it being slow. It is not all that slow. As long as you are not downloading a bunch of large files you will never hit the bandwidth cap anyway. The only thing that you will get from faster service is the ability to download more at once closer to the server max.

alexjb

I would not worry about it being slow. It is not all that slow. As long as you are not downloading a bunch of large files you will never hit the bandwidth cap anyway. The only thing that you will get from faster service is the ability to download more at once closer to the server max.

Thanks, it seems okay with all of us using the internet, my brother is always playing online on his Xbox, and there's 6 of us living in this house but the internet seems to be fine for all of us :)

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not exactly sure when VM are rolling out our new 120mb upgrade. :cool:

I hope they can give us a better upload speed.

G80FTW

Not exactly sure when VM are rolling out our new 120mb upgrade. :cool:

I hope they can give us a better upload speed.

Better upload speed? Iv been stuck on 1mbps upload speed since the dawn of broadband. I have no idea how people are getting more than that. And really, its never been a problem for me. Most people do more downloading than uploading so to have a 60mbps upload speed and a 2mbps download speed seems rather useless.

Gooberman

the reason the upload is so high is because it's a community college with over 15 thousand students trying to access their website lol. Though I would like it if they had at least 6 mbps down so i can watch meh netflix better lol(I work in an open lab as a tutor but it isn't busy a lot of the time)