Show off your speed

TankerHC

How is something like this possible? What would I have to do?

Back in the early 90's I spent 4 1/2 years as a Broadband Engineer with Comcast. I designed the Headends, and launched and managed their Broadband services in 4 Cities (I was a Regional Engineer). Back then, depending on active customers you werent getting much as far as download through the pipe and there were other limiting factors. I havent kept up with it much although I am still a member of the Society Of Telecommunication Engineers I went on as a Regional Manager for a Web Focused Corporation. So, as said, I havent kept up except to get what our Cable Company offers. So, I was wondering the same thing and was about to make a dumb statement of "Cant be real, I believe its photoshopped", but decided to do my research prior to posting a dumb statement.

All I can say is "WOW ARE YOU AUSSIES LUCKY!". His provider, Optus, offers packages up to 200 down. 120 MB down and 10 up for an extra $20 (Aus) per month. Never happen here, at least in the near future. Optus claims with their 120 package you can download an entire album in less than 5 seconds. I am sure you "Can", but thats also going to depend on what equipment you are using.

Just wow, wish we had that.

Perkomate

hint: it's not like that. Only in some really special circumstances will you hit even 150 down.
I'm on 3 down, 0.8 up.

Russ88765

I guess I can't expect to get much of anything on wifi, but it lags so much even with a router plus a good connector. On the box it advertised speeds of up to 300mbps yet i'm seeing not even 1! I feel like I wasted my money on this thing.

Pell

gee, you guys have some pretty fast connections.

oh well, nothing to be ashamed off since this is what i subscribed for in the first place. this is why i only get to play on asian based servers in CS:S...

193835844.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Omg.....

Mine

1948220482.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Compequip

It's funny that I got 10MB faster speed switching from a docsis 2 cable modem to a docsis 3 modem. Needless to say I'm very happy that I can download a file at 4mb per second.

So John my modem is over 2 years old I got from my provider. I just agreed to a new 2 year agreement. Should I have asked for another modem? My current model is an actiontec MI424-WR (Rev E). I have no issues but I'm running 3 wireless devices off it.....

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Considering i pay for a 50MB connection,I think this is great!

Cant wait for the 100Mb roll out. :p

wolfeking

banned
im not quite sure what I am paying for, might have been 10 or 20, but I am averaging somewhere between them, so all good. going to either 30 or 50 when I can.

Actually like this result. I know I am not paying for 30Mb

linkin

VIP Member
im not quite sure what I am paying for, might have been 10 or 20, but I am averaging somewhere between them, so all good. going to either 30 or 50 when I can.

Actually like this result. I know I am not paying for 30Mb

I'd trade 10Mb down on that for an extra 2Mb up if I could. I'm in 100Mbit but I still only get <2Mb upstream :(

wolfeking

banned
The max upload is 3MB, and that is only on the 30 and 50 MB packages. Not really sure I need anything over 30, as its $30 more for the 50 service, and I doubt that I could get any better service from it. The package I am on now is giving no better download times than the 10MB package that mother has with century link, but I don't have wireless on this package. Not sure how hard it would be to get a router for it.

That too might depend on the server the download is coming from though, yes? The one I tested it on was the Ubuntu server when fetching 10.04 for my latitude. Was downloading at 5MB more or less.

Darren

Staff member
I hate my internet with a passion. Parents are cheap and won't change providers since it's bundled with other things like our cell phones.

Last edited: