Simply Brilliant Motherboard

Yasu

ECS isn't exactly well known for their quality. Fry's always throws in an ECS board when making some sort of combo deal. I had an ECS mobo once...those were dark days...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Agreed... ECS is a brand I keep away from. I was in a computer class some time ago and our project was to build new computers for our class. They provided us with ECS boards and what not. About half of them died or had some major problem.

I also tried an ECS laptop once... I got rid of that thing quick.

StrangleHold

Staff member
ECS is not really a brilliant motherboard, I put them in with PCchips, ASrock, as far as budget motherboards

Last edited:

joeswm8

Did you even look at the specs? This board has a lot of potential, and a great price.

The reviews are also very good. I dont get what is wrong with ECS. Some guy was running 2 GB DDR2 and dual SLI 7950GTX!

This board is rewriting the "dark days."

Yasu

Did you even look at the specs? This board has a lot of potential, and a great price.

The reviews are also very good. I dont get what is wrong with ECS. Some guy was running 2 GB DDR2 and dual SLI 7950GTX!

Granted, there will be a few boards from ECS that are actually decent, but when you see a mobo that is packed full of feature-goodness for a very low price then you know that either...

A) They used crap materials to make it
or
B) There's an incredible sale going on.

StrangleHold

Staff member

Whats so special about that!

joeswm8

Its 79.99 on rebate! Show me another motherboard with all these features for that price.

ECS is coming around, I mean whats wrong with it!?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
To say the truth, that board doesn't really look impressive, especially compared to the upper end socket t boards. Besides, it only uses a max of DDR2 677 ram, so that's not so good.

lovely?

667 ram isnt bad, my older mobo only has ddr400 ram and it works just fine, considering it cost $46USD

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
667 ram isnt bad, my older mobo only has ddr400 ram and it works just fine, considering it cost $46USD

ddr400 ram for what system? DDR400 is the standards for most old motherboards, but DDR 800 is usually the fastest ram new motherboards can use.

joeswm8

Yeah buy those motherboards cost triple as much as this one, and for more speed, yet you can add up to 16GB of RAM on this board, its 79.99!

No one has said how good this is yet, and I do not see why, seriously what is wrong with it, besides is name.

Deny thy father and refuse thy name for I shall no longer be a capulet(or ECS).

StrangleHold

Staff member
I have built alot of computers and used ECSs more for frisbees than systems! You can buy what you want too, if it boots thats great, (If it doesnt I told you so)

Last edited:

ceewi1

VIP Member
You'll never use 16GB of RAM on that board anyway. As usual, ECS have made compromises in order to reduce costs, such as locking the PCI-E slots into x8 mode, even when using a single card. Performance, stability and overclocking ability are quite poor. For an entry level board it's acceptable, but not something i'd pair with an E6600.

You can find quality boards for under $120, i'd frankly look elsewhere.

Yasu

Yeah buy those motherboards cost triple as much as this one, and for more speed, yet you can add up to 16GB of RAM on this board, its 79.99!

No one has said how good this is yet, and I do not see why, seriously what is wrong with it, besides is name.

Deny thy father and refuse thy name for I shall no longer be a capulet(or ECS).

Wow! 16Gb! I'm sure every normal user will need that!:rolleyes: Even gamers don't need that much RAM...

At least those mobos that cost triple are actually made by a good company...and have something called 'quality'. Being cheap does not mean it's godly.

Saurian

I wouldn't base a primary build around it. If I were strapped for cash, I would go for it, sure. E6300, that board, a 7600GT, and a 1GB dual channel kit would make for a decent system.

However, that system isn't all that great. It's like a girl you see at the mall, banging behind....but she turns around and catches you looking, and she more resembles clifford the big red dog, then the hottie you took her for.

If you want it, buy it. It is a mainstream budget board. Or, maybe it is a high end board in the cheap category. Either way, it is run of the mill, middle of the road. Try to overclock it. I bet it has a bios more barren then Tom Cruise's mind the last few years.

Oh yeah, it claims 16GB in the above text, but down below when talking about the memory, it states it only supports a total of 4GB of memory. Just a thought. :)

Last edited: