Slow computer on random short interval of times, accompanie by fan noise

Vinleboiteux

No i did not. figured i did not want to run without an antivirus up...but yeah probly a mistake.

Either way , i can't find the uninstal option for norton antivirus , i checked in the programs menu and in the files...

Vinleboiteux

Also, i did complete scans, so they are still running , been an hour now, for malware and spuerspy that is.

Thanks alot for your help by the way.

lovely?

norton is a PITA. symantec makes you go to their website and find, then download the uninstaller manually.

Zatharus

VIP Member
Download all the necessary installers first. Then, disconnect your computer from the internet if you want to be extra cautious when swapping AV products.

Well...since both Norton and AVG are on there, they are probably fighting and causing all your problems. You should find Norton/Symantec listed in the Add/Remove Programs control panel.

As for the scans, run them individually, one after the other...not at the same time. Depending on the speed of your computer and the number of files they have to go through, the scans can take quite a while. I have seen some take 2-3 hours. If you are running them both together (not recommended), you can safely quintuple the amount of time needed for the test.

I would recommend stopping the scans, uninstalling Norton and making sure AVG is functioning properly first. Then, run the scans separately.

2048Megabytes

To clarify the statement Zatharus made go to your Control Panel. In in your Control Panel you will find the icon entitled "Add/Remove Programs." Click on this and find the Norton Anti-Virus. Choose to uninstall it. Norton Anti-Virus is a horrible program. It ticks me off that the programmers at Norton have a lot of market penetration and can't make a decent anti-virus program that doesn't slow your system down to awful speeds.

I don't want to bash on all the software Norton writes though. Norton Ghost Version 13 is a very good program for making an exact data duplicate of a hard drive. But Norton Anti-Virus is a piece of worthless dung.

Vinleboiteux

Okay,

I will uninstal Norton, reinstal AVG and pray to god its not as slow and painfull :)

Then ill run the scans. I will get back to you with the results, i have no clue how to actually clean a bugged file, and from what i can tell so far from the scans, i have alot :(

Vinleboiteux

In the add/remove programs thing, i imagine by uninstal you mean i choose to remove the program right? There isnt supposed to be an uninstal option right? :)

bigd54

My hp downstairs which is fairly new Q6600 proccesor occastionally does what your talking about. If im doing something power hungery it will lock up for a bout 5 seconds makes the noise your refering to and then goes back to normal. I always refered to it as like a 2nd gear. My guess was always the psu was in like a conserving mode and when the components started need more power the psu kicked up. That was always my interpretation. Hope this helps.

2048Megabytes

My Hewlett Packard downstairs which is fairly new Q6600 processor occasionally does what your talking about. If I'm doing something power hungry it will lock up for about 5 seconds makes the noise your referring to and then goes back to normal.

That isn't normal. I would look into troubleshooting the problem to try and fix it.

Zatharus

VIP Member
...i have no clue how to actually clean a bugged file, and from what i can tell so far from the scans, i have alot :(

Once the scan completes, with either Malwarebytes or Superantispyware, you click either "Next" or "OK" and either program will go through the removal/cleanup process automatically. You will most likely have to do a reboot after each scan if there are files to process. If you were in Safe Mode, make sure you boot up again in Safe Mode to run the next scan. I highly suggest that you run the scan's multiple times.

If the same bugs keep showing up on subsequent scans, you have two options:

1) Remove the drive from this machine, mount it on another and run the same scans there. This is most likely the simpler route, if you have a spare machine available, rather than making a live boot CD to scan from (also recommended if you want to make one though).

2) Format and re-install the OS. This way you are guaranteed to have all the bugs removed - unless you have a BIOS infection...but those are quite rare.

Once the computer is coming up clean, I suggest grabbing CCleaner and Defraggler to clean out unecessary files and registry entries and to defragment your hard drive. Both of those tools are more efficient and somewhat more effective than the built-in Windows variants.