Smart Phones? Are they required?

Ankur

I like to use computer technology products which are quite powerful and not mobile.
As these smart phones are getting popular enough then are they really required? Can I use it to the optimum level. I have very less info about mobile stuff that too small devices.
Can anyone tell me whether it is a good decision to buy a phone like Samsung Galaxy S II worth 600$?
Samsung-Galaxy-S2.jpg

Let me know, as I have never bought a phone over 100$ yet.

daisymtc

paying $600 for a phone seems excessive. But that is irrelevant as I never buy a phone. I don't know how mobile company in your country.

But in UK, if I get a monthly contract, it would probably cost me £10 per month. However, when I signed up 24 months contract 5 months ago with free galaxy s, it cost me £15 per month. I think that is acceptable.

Ankur

Its more about the usage, are these phones really useful.
Example a gaming computer does many things other than gaming.
What do smart phones do? I have no idea why it actually require 2 core processors too.

BassAddict

What do smart phones do? I have no idea why it actually require 2 core processors too.

Smart phones can do a lot more than just make a call and check weather. They can be used for GPS navigating (Very intuitive btw), you can use the phone as a remote start for your vehicle (fam member uses that one), you can use the phone as a central remote control for a smart home running Linux MCE on a server, there are a ton of apps that allow the camera to be incorporated with the internet (barcode reader for shopping), Streaming audio (something like Pandora, Last.fm) and Video (Netflix, You Tube), and many other options available for use on a smartphone.

The reason for more core processors is because of higher quality content is sub-coming to the different eco-systems (Apple, Google, RIM) of the smart phones. For example: Netflix, You Tube HD/3D, gaming and multi-threaded applications.

cracker2

They are appaholics.When you run many apps simultaneously & or watch HD videos that's when the extra core(s) come in.I don't have a smart phone,just speaking from opinion.
GPS map navigating,Internet,email,video conference,apps,video games,HD video viewing etc.

Last edited:

Ankur

Okay so basically Smart Phones are computers which you can carry in your pocket. Hmm, I will have a look at some. Still I have a doubt wether they are worth it.

if you get one on like a 3 year contract they are pretty cheap, but they are also over 100 a month for the newer ones like the galaxy s2, and if you use the internet on the phone too much they charge you up to 500 dollars more then freeze your account

Ankur

Which Smart Phone do you guys suggest is the best?
I Galaxy S2 is the first choice for me, then Nokia N8, then other phones like LG Optimus, iPhone, Dell, HTC etc.:D

BassAddict

Okay so basically Smart Phones are computers which you can carry in your pocket. Hmm, I will have a look at some. Still I have a doubt wether they are worth it.

You can also get keyboard/screen docks for a few phones. The only one I know off the top of my head (because of the mass marketing), is the Motorola Atrix.

However, I would recommend a tablet if you are looking into a more mobile computer. They can do the same things as the phones, but cost less and most are keyboard and screen dockable.

What made you start thinking about a smartphone? IMO, it is not worth the cost. I would use my phone more if it did have a keyboard/screen dock, because the screen is just too small for a lot of the stuff I tried to do with it.

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member

Smart phones are pretty much like little computers. They do a lot of things computers do, but you probably wouldn't want to write an essay on one. Basically, if you need a cell phone, and you want one that can keep you entertained should something come up that has you waiting, smart phones generally come in handy. The things I do most are web browsing, play old school games with emulators, and finding where things are using google maps. What's cool is if you have a phone with a front facing camera you can skype people too.

As for needing dual core, right now, not really. Most of the dual cores out there now are not very efficient. This means two things, battery will die faster and it won't actually be any faster than a well configured and optimized single core phone.

Case in point Xperia Play. It has a single core 1ghz paired with the Andreno 205 GPU and 512mb of Dual channel RAM (One of the only phones to sport this). When benchmarked against the dual core tegra II phones it gets similar scores, while using less battery. The reason is the 1ghz Scorpion and Andreno 205 are actually a highly efficient power house when using the latest tweaked drivers from qualcomm, which Sony includes. Dual Cores are still in their infancy and as a result still feature growing pains.

Another point is few if any apps are coded to make use of the two cores.

So basically, it's a selling feature more than anything, until they can mature a bit more.

Last edited:

Ankur

I saw a Friend post on FB post a status "Bye bye iphone time for Galaxy S II". All I knew that this was something new for me that mad me post this thread, as I have been using phones only for calling and texting that too for ages now. Another good thing for these Smart Phones are that they are Vanity Phones. ;)

CrazyMike

I have a smart phone, Iphone4. I use it for everything. It IS litterally a laptop in your pocket. I do absolutely everything with it.

I am far from an Apple lover, but i have played around with the Galaxy S II and don't really see anything special. It looks and operates just like an iphone, just a few power performance parts added (in which will be included in the next iphone). I just don't see all the hype around it, and why (like previously said) "is the number one smart phone".

I take a look at all smart phones and see that buying a phone will run you anywhere from $300 - $800 (Just going by my region). To me that is expensive. You COULD sign a contract and get it cheaper/ if not free, BUT do you really want to be tied down to a carrier and end up paying more in the end? I am from Canada, the land of which mobility companies bend you over and don't use lube. We are only allowed certain phones, high priced phone/data plans, not the fastest LTE network, and service is dependant on where you are. There are only 3 major mobility companies that offer service, in which they have you tied by the nuts.

From my experience, i have to get the lowest best price with the type of service i want. Thus signing a 3 year term (get the phone cheaper) is in the end costing me more money. It's better to buy the phone, and bounce from mobility company to company getting the best plan you possibly can.

The phone i am interested about, but cannot use, is the Motorola Droid Bionic. Anyone ever use one? what's it like?

speedyink

VIP Member
I am far from an Apple lover, but i have played around with the Galaxy S II and don't really see anything special. It looks and operates just like an iphone, just a few power performance parts added (in which will be included in the next iphone). I just don't see all the hype around it, and why (like previously said) "is the number one smart phone".

There's two main reasons that people hail the Galaxy S II as the best. First is it's gpu is the best found in a smartphone. It's 4 times as fast as the iphone 4's, and twice as fast as the tegra II's.

Second is the Super AMOLED screen that's in it. It provides limitless viewing angles without degradation in picture quality, extreme contrast ratio for insanely deep blacks, and vibrant color saturation. It's not the highest resolution but on a sub 5" screen it's hard to tell the difference between 480x800 and 640x960.

That being said in my opinion it's not the best phone, no phone is best. It's all in what you want in a phone

iPhone is simple and easy. With it comes limitations, but for some people it's fine
Galaxy S 2 is great for people who like the most powerful phone with the best specs. It may have an incredible gpu but most games on a touchscreen is difficult to play
Xperia Play is great for people who like games. It's just no contest on games that aren't fruit ninja or angry birds. For games like battlefield bad company and muffin knight it's a dream. Same with emulators, it's actually possible to beat Mario on this. Also has great stereo speakers to complete the package. The downside it's bulkier than the thinner phones out there.

Last edited:

strollin

As people have said smart phones are very much a hand held computer but what makes them so useful is that you can carry them in your pocket so you have it with you at all times. The fact that you can have that much computing power in your pocket is what makes them indispensable. A smartphone is like a Swiss Army knife with hundreds of useful blades (apps) that you can customize the way you like.

Regal

Well having a smartphone has radically changed my life. Almost everything I do normally I can do on my phone now, which unleashes me from my desk and laptop. But regardless of that, the reason why they are getting more and more processing power behind them is for many reasons. The obvious one is games, but even for example with the latest iPhone4S...Siri (Voice Recognition software). They need the processing power to analyze your voice for example, something that was impossible before, well at least with a good user experience...Before you would have to record your voice and then upload to a server to have it processed and then wait for it to send you back a response, now that is all done on the phone since they added the processing power and made it use less battery to do such functions.

apj101

VIP Member
paying $600 for a phone seems excessive. But that is irrelevant as I never buy a phone. I don't know how mobile company in your country.

But in UK, if I get a monthly contract, it would probably cost me £10 per month. However, when I signed up 24 months contract 5 months ago with free galaxy s, it cost me £15 per month. I think that is acceptable.

US is shite when it comes to phone, they pay about double if not more than the UK

jonnyp11

yeah, that's why i stick on pay phone, for 100 a year i have a phone i can use when i need and i only use it to get a ride, otherwise steam/xbox/homephone using contacts on my phone, cheaper than crap compared to everyone i know who all have those smartphones which cost at least 55+ a month in the us (30+ for plan, and 10/15+ for data)

linkin

VIP Member
I don't like the "statistics" and tracking options in my iphone. I have them all turned off. I may install some custom stuff that doesn't have any of it at all.

This is why "dumb" phones can be better in that regard :)

turbodiesel

depend how you use it if you are going to just call and text you don't really need it
if you like having lots of cool apps and games on your phone the galaxy s or iPhone would be the ideal pick or a phone running android