So you thought >8GB of RAM is a waste?

Okedokey

Here is my guide to creating a free RAM Disk.

RAM disk software is nothing new on PC where even the old DOS supported its own RAMDRIVE.SYS.

Generally RAM disks are useful to accelerate read and write times for software. A RAM drive is typically 20 times faster than even the fastest SSD, so if speed is important, nothing beats a RAM drive. Essentially it mounts an application or data to RAM from a HDD for epic fast access.

So here we go, use that extra RAM for things like Steam and other stuff.

Download SoftPerfect RAM Disk.

Select the + sign icon and select say 12000. That's about 10GB. Format it normally.

From there I moved BLOPS multiplayer, (which I play most), but you can move whatever you want, or install something there as any other drive.

Now it loads every time I start Windows, and now the game runs epic quick and uses my spare RAM.

Still leaves around 5 or 6GB for the system.

Thought you guys would appreciate a new use for that extra RAM.

When you shut down, it saves it to HDD.

Let me know what you think, and next time someone says they want 32GB of RAM, you can give them a use-case.

Last edited:

strollin

I used to use RAM disks on my old DOS computers, especially the ones I had that only had floppy drives.

Since you need to load the RAM disk each time you boot and then save the contents to hdd each time you shutdown, how has that effected your boot and shutdown times? My take is that the time lost loading/saving the RAM disk during boot/shutdown probably negates any gains you get using the RAM disk unless you don't shutdown often and leave the system running for days at a time.

Darren

Staff member
That's really cool. I might toss Steam and Chrome on my extra RAM. I don't think I've ever seen my usage go above 6GB and I have 12GB to use.

Okedokey

I used to use RAM disks on my old DOS computers, especially the ones I had that only had floppy drives.

Since you need to load the RAM disk each time you boot and then save the contents to hdd each time you shutdown, how has that effected your boot and shutdown times? My take is that the time lost loading/saving the RAM disk during boot/shutdown probably negates any gains you get using the RAM disk unless you don't shutdown often and leave the system running for days at a time.

The RAM disk loads after you have booted, so unless you need what you have on the RAM disk immediately, then it will not be an issue. Plus, 12GB loading into RAM doesn't take long at all.

claptonman

I didn't know it could save it to the hard drive, that's neat.

But the only thing I would want to put on it would be Battlefield 3 and 4, which would take quite a bit of RAM...

Okedokey

I didn't know it could save it to the hard drive, that's neat.

But the only thing I would want to put on it would be Battlefield 3 and 4, which would take quite a bit of RAM...

yeah you would need 32GB. It also has an option to save to HDD every X minutes. I make it do it every 10, as its an incremental image change, so nothing too big. That way when you do shut down, its essentially no more time to wait than normal.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
I'd need 64GB or more to load up ARMA2/3 plus all my addons onto a RAM disk.... it's 40GB alone

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
LOL you people are talking about how you have "only" 6 GB of RAM usage or that you need 64 GB OF RAM LMAO!!!

I can understand why you would need a good amount of RAM memory for the RAMDISK,but for Christ sake you do not need to load EVERYTHING YOU HAVE in the RAMDISK.That's just crazy lol come on! :D
I would load ONLY the thing which I am currently using and ONLY if it's working SLOW.Otherwise there is no need.
ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE SO MUCH RAM MEMORY LIKE YOU GUYS AND GIRLS.

What the hell am I then supposed to do lmao? :D
I only have freaking 512 MB of RAM! :D
That's HALF of 1 GB!

So if somebodY here needs to complain on things working slow then that is ME lol and NOT you who have 4 or 8 or 12 or 16 or even 32 GB of RAM memory ROFL!!! :D:D:D

I'd need 64GB or more to load up ARMA2/3 plus all my addons onto a RAM disk...

Oh man...

tumblr_m4xmdelT7j1qf7155o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Okedokey

Stars, what in any way whatsoever does your post provide or have to do with the topic. I think we all get that you have a rubbish machine and that no matter what you can make it do anything "if you know what you're doing".

WHO CARES!

Most of us have modern machines with extra RAM. This is because we do advanced things with it. You cannot possible run virtual machines or anything mounted on your computer because it couldn't do it. I have that use case and in the times I am not using the RAM, I have shown other uses for it. Uses that are real world improvements.

Stop spamming threads with your dribble posts about only needing 512MB RAM. We don't care.

FuryRosewood

No. When ram is relatively inexpensive and you need as much as you can get? Espically if this is in a workstation, 64 gig will pay for itself especially with multiple virtual machines. More ram is always better than less.

Aastii

VIP Member
GDDR5 is DDR5 just on a graphics card.

VRAM = GDDR5

GDDR5 is DDR3 just on a graphics card*

Ram is not cheap anymore since the hynix plant went on fire.

Relatively speaking, it is still cheap. More expensive than before, sure, but still more than affordable

Our of interest, how long would it take to save 10GB back over, or does it find the difference and only write back what is needed? If it is saving all of that back every time and you are still on a hard drive, even with it going from fast RAM to relatively slow hard drive, that would surely make shut downs take over a minute and the same again for loading all of that back?