So you thought >8GB of RAM is a waste?

Aastii

VIP Member
Too bad hard disk drives are not cheap as RAM is...:(

Hard drives are even cheaper than memory is...

You can get 8GB memory for £40-50, for that same price you can get a 500GB-1TB hard drive. Per GB, the hard drive is less than 1/100th of the price of RAM

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Hard drives are a lot cheaper per GB than RAM...
Hard drives are even cheaper than memory is...

You can get 8GB memory for £40-50, for that same price you can get a 500GB-1TB hard drive. Per GB, the hard drive is less than 1/100th of the price of RAM

Not here where I live...:(
Here even RAM is expensive and hard disk drives are even MORE expensive...:(
I hate this place lol...

Aastii

VIP Member
Not here where I live...:(
Here even RAM is expensive and hard disk drives are even MORE expensive...:(
I hate this place lol...

Say, for example, 8GB memory cost the equivalent of £100. A 1TB drive would have to cost more that £12,500, more than 125x, for the hard drive to be more expensive per GB than RAM. If that is the case, import it from the other side of the planet and it would still be cheaper after import charges. Even where you live, hard drives are cheaper than RAM, it is universal

jamesd1981

That is only if your sole basis of comparison is on price per GB.

I think most people would say if they spend £50, they would feel they got more for there money with a TB drive or small ssd than with 8GB ram.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Say, for example, 8GB memory cost the equivalent of £100. A 1TB drive would have to cost more that £12,500, more than 125x, for the hard drive to be more expensive per GB than RAM. If that is the case, import it from the other side of the planet and it would still be cheaper after import charges. Even where you live, hard drives are cheaper than RAM, it is universal

I understand what you are trying to say and I REALLY agree with you,but unfortunately HERE they don't calculate prices that way. :(
RAM here is VERY expensive AND the HDDs are ALSO very expensive.AND HDDs are EVEN MORE expensive than RAM here where I live.Here is an example from our local store called LINKS:

8 GB RAM memory - Price: 555,00 kn

http://www.links.hr/?naziv=memorija...kit-2x4gb&option=artikl&id_artikl=051.210.148

Western digital 500 GB (not even 1 TB) - Price: 729,00 kn

http://www.links.hr/?naziv=tvrdi-di...a-desktop&option=artikl&id_artikl=051.510.169

NOT TO MENTION HOW EXPENSIVE SSD DRIVES ARE LMAO!!!
Here is an example for that also:

SSD 60 GB (only 60 GB!!!) - Price: 839,00 kn

http://www.links.hr/?naziv=ssd-60-0...-457-mb-s&option=artikl&id_artikl=051.400.229

And now here is the SADDEST AND FUNNIEST THING:

MOSTLY WHEN YOU PLACE THE DAMN ORDER AND PAY A LOT MONEY FOR THE ITEM,THE NEXT DAY OR EVEN FEW DAYS LATER THEY CALL YOU AND SAY THAT THEY DON'T HAVE WHAT YOU ORDERED AND PAYED FOR!
AND OF COURSE...YOU NEVER EVER GET YOUR MONEY BACK! :mad::mad::mad:

And believe it or not my dear people this LINKS store in Croatia is the "best" (yea right) place where you can even buy these things for the "lowest" (yea right) price.

Our pay checks are being cut off more more more more AND more and they still do it AND the prices go UP all the time.And as I already wrote above...even when they don't have the item you ordered AND payed for,you never get your money back.
Banks also say that there is nothing they can do about it.

You mentioned that I can import them from the other side of the planet.Well my dear Aastii...I already said in some other posts and I will say it again:

Once the ordered package comes here,they charge you SO MUCH money for the package that at the end the price is either the same like I bought it HERE or it's even higher!
ALSO in many cases they don't even give you the package because they think that it's not yours and in order to PROVE them that is IS YOURS you FIRST need to pay a LOT of money AND SECOND you need to show them some bills to prove that it is yours.Of course...the bill from the website from which you have ordered (such as eBay,Amazon and so on...) means NOTHING TO THEM.They want some OTHER bill which does not even exist lmao!
And of course since you cannot show them the non-existing bill,after 14 days they will take the package for them selves.

I know this because it happened to me many times. :mad::(

Do you NOW understand how hard it is for people like me to actually accomplish anything lol?

VERY hard! :(

Aastii

VIP Member
It's ;) and this

Our of interest, how long would it take to save 10GB back over, or does it find the difference and only write back what is needed? If it is saving all of that back every time and you are still on a hard drive, even with it going from fast RAM to relatively slow hard drive, that would surely make shut downs take over a minute and the same again for loading all of that back?

Agent Smith

Good discussion. I'm building a new computer with a total of 32 GB of RAM and will use a RAM drive to install my Flight Simulator 2004 into. The install is 26GB and I have 1,500 aircraft. A RAM drive will dramatically increase terrain loading. Over at Anandtech where I'm a member it was frowned upon to use a RAM drive. And people over there said so much as a SSD would be better? LMAO! Have they seen the speed of RAM!?

The RAM I'm getting a CAS 8 so it should be damn fast! It's not the fastest MB to MB with other stuff according to passmark, but it's still like 14,000 MB/s

Right now I'm using the Softperfect RAM drive on my laptop with a SSD for the temp directory to lessen the wear and tear on the SSD.

Last edited:

PCunicorn

I think they mean a SSD will be less hassle, which is true. Maybe not by a large amount, but a RAM drive will require more time to setup.

Okedokey

Good discussion. I'm building a new computer with a total of 32 GB of RAM and will use a RAM drive to install my Flight Simulator 2004 into. The install is 26GB and I have 1,500 aircraft. A RAM drive will dramatically increase terrain loading. Over at Anandtech where I'm a member it was frowned upon to use a RAM drive. And people over there said so much as a SSD would be better? LMAO! Have they seen the speed of RAM!?

The RAM I'm getting a CAS 8 so it should be damn fast! It's not the fastest MB to MB with other stuff according to passmark, but it's still like 14,000 MB/s

Right now I'm using the Softperfect RAM drive on my laptop with a SSD for the temp directory to lessen the wear and tear on the SSD.

Another great use for RAM Disks. They're pretty damn useful. FSX however will be probably bottled most by a CPU than the SSD/HDD/RD. But yeah nice work mate.