AMD CPU/Socket Discussion Thread

beers

Staff member
I really don't think AMD has ever came close to matching Intel's performance have they?
Aren't you an old guy ? :p

The Athlon line was pretty competitive until around when the 2.8+ GHz 478 P4s came out which started outpacing the XP's by a decent margin.
A64 were much faster than the Intel offerings and crushed the Pentium Ds until the C2D started coming out.

But it's been a long time since then.

Darren

Staff member
Also Ryzen is definitely "close" and considering what we last had as an offering this is nothing but a massive step for them. Anybody that fully expected them to beat Intel in IPC is foolish. Their R&D budget and team are a mere fraction of Intel's. Getting close and back into a competitive position was their goal. Beating them out of the gate is a pipe dream. And Intel will need some sort of price adjustment.

lucasbytegenius

While the recent reviews have shown Ryzen to be lacking in gaming compared to the i7 7700k, it's really not that far behind, and absolutely destroys it in multithreading. I believe the SMT problems will be fixed in a Windows update, just like with the FX 8xxx series came out. It's also a huge improvement over my 8320, and I do a lot of multitasking with my 3 monitors so I feel like I could really use the threads, especially as DX12 improves (typical AMD apologist excuse, but I believe it).

2048Megabytes

From what I have read thus far AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Socket AM4 processor has about twice the processing power of the AMD FX-8370E Socket AM3+. That is pretty good as the FX-8370E is a decent unit still.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I do believe that some optimization need to happen. But saying it sucks at gaming, does everybody here game at 1080 and below.

Intel_man

VIP Member
People are overreacting when they think the Ryzen sucks at gaming benchmarks. They're not as strong as current Intel chips, but those performance area is around the 100fps area anyways which only affect those who have 144hz monitors.

Darren

Staff member
People are overreacting when they think the Ryzen sucks at gaming benchmarks. They're not as strong as current Intel chips, but those performance area is around the 100fps area anyways which only affect those who have 144hz monitors.
To follow this, I especially like this graphic.

Or_koLA8qToeQBoHXIZbPHHFmirk6qB5TyBoa1hFhqc.png

Deadpool

No different than an overclocked 83xx CPU really

Yeah. All those CPUs have ridiculously high TDPs for what they offer. At least the 8xxx series do not come with 1.5V+ by default, and do not require any tweaking to avoid having a steel mill in your room, which is also pretty stupid, considering you bought a CPU just to downclock it later :p

Darren

Staff member
My overclocked 8320 and 390 would make my lights flicker in my apartment when running Witcher 3 or benchmarks. Pulls so much power.

Intel_man

VIP Member
My overclocked 8320 and 390 would make my lights flicker in my apartment when running Witcher 3 or benchmarks. Pulls so much power.
That's... doesn't sound safe. LOL

Then again, I've only see my printer flicker/dim the lights when I turn it on and when it is in the process of printing.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah 4.6GHz and a 390 overclocked past a 390X was a bit excessive. I've dialed it back, and don't live there anymore so I should be safe now. :D