software differences

novicegeek

Admitedly, I'm cheap. But, I go to a couple of software giveaway sites to see what there is to offer. Although I'm cheap, I have been convinced to purchase a few of these freebies.

But, what I find confusing is that it appears some companies provide two different versions of the same software, and I am unable to tell which one is the better version. Just a for instance: Ashampoo has a couple of WinOptimizer program available for giveaway, but one version is a free WinOptimizer 2023 (with previous versions like 2020, 2021, 2022), while the other is a free WinOptimizer 18 (with previous versions being one such as 15, 16, 17).

Not to pick on Ashampoo; I've seen this with several different companies.

So, how do I know the difference between one with a year and one with a version number? I'm assuming they are not exactly the same thing. Can anyone shed some light on this, because Google wasn't any help at all.

Thanks folks.

beers

Staff member
There’s no reliable answer for you when even big name entities struggle with product versioning. Also it sounds like some of the differences are superficial and centered around branding/marketing.
I have been convinced to purchase a few of these freebies.
it’s not a freebie when you have to purchase it.

novicegeek

That makes sense. I can rest more easily now. Thanks.

Yeah, and sorry for the confusion. To clarify, I meant that I had purchased a few programs that I initially tried as freebies. I guess my post lacked a second draft.