Someone please enlighten me on buying CRTs.

eli573

Hello and greetings,
I need a rough guide on buying CRTs. I am looking for a monitor of a high-ish resolution, but the aspect ratio doesn't matter, although I think most CRT monitors you can get are 4:3. Is there anything I should know about this buying guide, like color depth or something like that I didn't know that was a limitation to them. Any help is helpful.
-ET

eli573

Why would you want to buy a CRT?
They have little or no input lag, and therefore don't negatively impact gaming, they are, in my experience, considerably brighter than any LCD I've ever owned, no color or gamma shift when viewed at an angle, look good in any resolution, (but I still need one that is capable of viewing high-ish resolution in good detail,) they are considerably cheaper... I could go on and on, but I won't.

eli573

None of those are a good reason to buy a CRT....
Eh... how do I say this respectfully? If, in your opinion of course, they aren't a few of the many good reasons to get a CRT, you can decline to reply at any time, and no one will disapprove your opinions or actions. I am just trying to get some help on the stated problem. Edit/postscript: I'm buying this not for my only monitor, if I wanted to use one of the many LCDs I own, I could, but I could also use the CRT I'm trying to buy, maybe a multiple monitor setup.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
They have little or no input lag, and therefore don't negatively impact gaming
There's a lot of low response time TN panels out there if you're into fast pace fps gaming.
considerably brighter than any LCD I've ever owned
That's debatable...
no color or gamma shift when viewed at an angle, look good in any resolution,
Then... buy an IPS panel. Or OLED.
but I still need one that is capable of viewing high-ish resolution in good detail,
CRT and high resolution are mutually exclusive.
they are considerably cheaper...
Because they're garbage.
I could go on and on
You could... but it'll make you look more and more stupid.
but I won't.
I'm glad you didn't go on and on.

Geoff

VIP Member
While Intel Man already did this, I want to provide my own input.

They have little or no input lag
This was relevant in the early 2000's. In 2017, the input lag on gaming monitors are < 2ms. 100% not noticeable.
don't negatively impact gaming
If you're a gamer, you likely have mid-high end computer hardware. No high end video card in the last several years support VGA out which is what most CRTs use. Plus the refresh rate of a CRT is what, 60-75Hz? Gaming monitors are 2-3x that and include features such as Free Sync and Gsync to improve the quality of game play.
considerably brighter than any LCD
This is false. High end LCD displays are significantly brighter.
no color or gamma shift when viewed at an angle
IPS LCD panels have a very wide viewing angle, why exactly are you gaming when looking at the side of your monitor anyways?
look good in any resolution
That's why you buy a monitor for the resolution you want to use it at. Don't buy a 4k monitor if you only want to game at 1080p.
but I still need one that is capable of viewing high-ish resolution in good detail
You won't find one.
they are considerably cheaper
You can't buy them anyways. So yes, you will likely get it cheaper since you'll have to pick one up at the dump or swap center.
I could, but I could also use the CRT I'm trying to buy, maybe a multiple monitor setup.
A multi-monitor setup with a CRT would be horribly unpleasant, and you'd need to find a desk capable of supporting that much weight.

eli573

While Intel Man already did this, I want to provide my own input.

This was relevant in the early 2000's. In 2017, the input lag on gaming monitors are < 2ms. 100% not noticeable.
The LCD monitors I have and still use are from that period. Early 2000s monitors are basically what I use.
If you're a gamer, you likely have mid-high end computer hardware. No high end video card in the last several years support VGA out which is what most CRTs use. Plus the refresh rate of a CRT is what, 60-75Hz? Gaming monitors are 2-3x that and include features such as Free Sync and Gsync to improve the quality of game play.
I don't quite use much mid-high end stuff, and the mid-high end stuff I do use are from a few years before, a good portion of which do use VGA. If I had the budget to get a top of the line LCD, I wouldn't be aimed at getting a CRT, would I. (OK, I have to admit, I probably would be, but likely for a DOS machine.)

This is false. High end LCD displays are significantly brighter.
Again, I had the budget, I'd get one. This is the part where people laugh at me, but my gaming monitor is from '04 and is 1280x800. I both wouldn't and couldn't get one.
IPS LCD panels have a very wide viewing angle, why exactly are you gaming when looking at the side of your monitor anyways?
I often tower over monitors, and I often have to look down. I need a new desk.
You won't find one.

You can't buy them anyways. So yes, you will likely get it cheaper since you'll have to pick one up at the dump or swap center.
Hmm... so in a world where you can buy a Commodore 64, an NES, and DOS 5.0 on 5 1/4 disks on the internet, all of the sudden, I can't buy a CRT? Okay then...
A multi-monitor setup with a CRT would be horribly unpleasant, and you'd need to find a desk capable of supporting that much weight.
I didn't say I would use multiple CRTs, rather a CRT and an LCD.

The VCR King

@The VCR King it's your time to shine.
God... I haven't had a CRT since 2006... the CRT is the one piece of retro technology that I actually don't like to be honest. The refresh rate on them is lower than most if not all LCDs and it'll make games feel weird and for me at least looking at a CRT for a long time makes my eyes hurt.

If you need something cheap get a little Dynex/Insignia screen from BestBuy. That's what I did until I got the Samsung I have now.

JLuchinski

Maybe hit up your local recycling center, or check out the local classifieds, people can't give them away that's why there is so many of them at the recycling centers.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
In the early days I resisted the move from CRT to LCD panels. I still preferred the look of the CRT displays. However that was like a decade or so ago. If you think CRT is still better, perhaps you are not buying a good enough new display.
I don't know any places which sell them new, maybe your only options are eBay for used monitors.
I don't mean to be critical if you prefer CRT then by all means go ahead and get one. I am that way with older hydraulic power steering on cars, I prefer it over the newer electric steering which is used on just about every car nowadays. But eventually I will have to make the switch.
Comes a time when you just have to let go of old technology.

Geoff

VIP Member
You never mentioned you were on a budget, you acted like you had a top of the line gaming PC but wanted to get a CRT for some reason. Obviously if you only have a choice of an early 2000's CRT or LCD, then go CRT, but for $200 or so you can get an excellent gaming LCD.

mistersprinkles

With 22" LED TN panels going for $100 US (sometimes less) brand new there is no reason to go CRT.

CRT is terrible for reasons that have already been mentioned. One item that has not been mentioned is that many CRTs suffer from that high pitched squeal when they are on. That "HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" sound. Thankfully for some people, they can't hear it. But I could always hear it and when I finally switched to LCD it was so wonderful to have a silent monitor.

AFAIK CRT's go up to about 1280X1024 and not far beyond that. Not very good.

Best CRT I ever owned was that resolution it was a flat screen (flat as a CRT can be) Viewsonic circa 2000. 17". I thought that monitor was the shizz when I bought it but what I have now stomps it. I would never go back.