Something I never noticed, before now.

I've run WiFi and LAN connections simultaneously on one machine before. I had always just assumed that, if the LAN cable was plugged in, it would be the default connection. Then, WiFi would just be a failover connection if the LAN connection failed, for whatever reason(s).

Tonight, I was checking the properties of each connection and noticed the connection, from time to time, switching from the LAN to the WiFi, and back. Is there a particular reason for this to happen?

Screenshot 2018-03-15 04.25.23.png

Screenshot 2018-03-15 04.24.40.png

Thanks.

It's the metric. You can only use one or the other, not both. Why the ethernet is dropping, I don't know, it shouldn't do that. Try disabling WIFI and see if ethernet stays connected.
I did that a while ago, wondering if it would. The ethernet seems to stay connected, though. If it is disconnecting, it is doing so for a split second. Odd.

_Kyle_

I don't know much on this, but the Wifi says 300mbps, compared to the ethernet's 100mbps in this photo. Maybe it switches to the fastest source of internet at the moment? The question is... how is the ethernet slower than the wifi???

beers

Staff member
What router do you have? 100 seems kind of low when gigabit's been common for years, although if it's an old N router then I understand.

There's a prioritization you can set for which interface is preferred.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2526067

Otherwise you can view the default route metrics with 'route print' in CMD.
Wifi says 300mbps, compared to the ethernet's 100mbps in this photo.
That's a standard sync speed for 2.4 GHz 2x2 802.11n. Realistically the wired will perform to a higher and more consistent degree.

Did you make your own cable? Is this ethernet cable plugged straight into the router or modem? It could be the cable or it could be the router or modem.
No. It was made at a local computer shop. I suppose I could have another one made. They are certainly cheap enough, here. Of course, quality computer parts in general, is not something you will get in Southeast Asia - including cables.

What router do you have?
It's a TP-Link TD-W8961N modem / router.
The computer connected directly to it by the LAN cable.
The WiFi adapter, however, is connected to another router wired to the modem / router.
That unit is a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND, running 8dB antennas.

beers

Staff member
Do you actually need 8 dB antennas? Just playing on the 2.4 GHz range you'll pick up -more- neighboring interference and it will perform worse.

What NIC is in your PC? If it's also gigabit capable it should sync at 1 Gbps to the router unless there's a cabling issue (try another one) or the NIC is failing.

Do you actually need 8 dB antennas?
Not here. When we rented an apartment in another city, the place was huge. Solid concrete is what they use for interior and exterior walls, in construction here. I needed that to provide a stronger signal. I just never changed the antennas back, when we moved to this, much smaller apartment.

What NIC is in your PC?
Not really sure. Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

Do they terminate them, themselves, or do you buy prepackaged ones?
Custom made for all lengths, at that particular shop. It is difficult to find shops here offering prepackaged cables of any length, though.

I visited a shop the other day, looking for a 120mm case fan. They had 24 port switches out the butt, and 8.2 amp hour UPS batteries by the ton - I bought 2 of those by the way. But, they don't even stock fans.

Thank God for eBay. However, patience is necessary there. Shipping times can be up to 2 months. Did I mention that I live less than 1000 Kilometers (~620 miles) from the Chinese border, from where most of the computer parts are shipped. I could drive there in less than 2 days.

Agent Smith

I was going to say. If you can buy on ebay that would be a lot better as those cable are already made at the manufacture. I have wired up my house with ethernet cable, but one line I need to redo. For some reason it shows up fine in my cheap cable tester, but it periodically disconnects. So I run a extension form the other room from now on untill I get my ass in gear, go to the Home Depot and buy more cable. This time I'll buy a better tester.

This is the one I have now: https://www.amazon.com/Brand-Multi-...d=1521343234&sr=1-9&keywords=lan+cable+tester

Thinking about buying this: https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Networ...d=1521343234&sr=1-8&keywords=lan+cable+tester