Speakers not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC eye

banned
HippieGirl you'll have to remind me to remind you to enlighten bozo there on some facts at some point! :p:p:p He's in his delusions again.

SirKenin

banned
funnypicturesfightingcagx0.jpg

SirKenin

banned
When all else fails.. When reason and logic fails to permeate the occasional obtuse cranium....

Laughter is the best medicine :D

PC eye

banned
Saturday morning cartoons is more your speed there! :rolleyes: I'm sure you want to see more intelligent advice there HippieGirl rather then a trashed up thread.

SirKenin

banned
lmao.. I was going to post another one.. Until I realized there was nothing funnier than some retard arguing with a bunch of funnies. :D

HippieGirl

Well if you are going to argue, then you can at least do more helping and less arguing? :p

I tried the speakers in the front and they do not work. But they still work in my other PC. Now what? I also tried to get to BIOS with that little trick of yours, SirKenin. But it wouldn't let me.

PC eye - I won't ship my PC out to anyone. Too costly, too long to wait, and I certainly DO NOT want anyone to peek in my HD when I'm not around. I will take it someplace when I get moved from Purgatory to Heaven :D

What do I try in the meantime?

SirKenin

banned
Speakers don't work but headphones do? Then I would say that's settings. Check the sound settings in the control panel.

PC eye

banned
It sounds like the main reason the speakers won't work in the front is due to that being intended for audio input with a mic/line in jack and a headphone jack there. That's how most even custom cases seeing front jacks are setup. With onboard sound the speakers are always plugged into the rear default output jacks found on the board there.

Service charge or considering a separate expansion card? If no simple low solution works like reinstalling the sound drivers/software from Dell the next option would be going for a half way decent sound card. Certain Creative X-Fi models are seen on Dell models so you know the drivers for those can be found for the few models they use or going to Creative support directly when needed.

The existing models out will see two separate cds one for XP and the other for Vista. Once you get into a good sound card you will then have options there for more then a two channel desktop pair of small speakers like having better quality for various media you play. Nothing sounds better then the EAX and now synthesized EAX using OpenAL in Vista.

MosIncredible

SirKenin is right. A port being a headphone jack won't stop speakers from working in it. I used to connect my stereo to my keyboard (music) through the keyboard's headphone jack until I got the right cables.

PC eye

banned
Talking out your left ear again. You first have to know what the jacks are intended for usually in the product information for the model system.

Most cases custom or prebuilt just happen to see a headphone not speaker jack in the front of a case. Headphones don't plug into the rear jacks and speakers on front. ddaaaa.... :rolleyes:

StrangleHold

Staff member
HippieGirl, you say the speakers will not work in either the front headphone or the rear speaker port but the headphones work plugged into the front port? Do the headphones work plugged into the rear speaker port? And the speakers work on another computer. If so it really sounds like a software settings has changed.

If you cant find anything in the settings just plug nothing but you speakers in the right port in the back. Go to device manager, down to your sound device, hit the drop down, find you main sound device, right click on it and click uninstall. Reboot your computer and let windows reinstall it, see if the speakers work. If not then go to Add and Remove and uninstall your sound drivers, reboot and install the drivers fresh.

PC eye

banned
That was one of the first things already mentioned on this thread. To see if all it was is a driver/software issue the fresh install of the sound drivers/software from the Dell support site was suggested in order to see if this is a simple software or hardware problem. Someone else would rather make smearing noises however.

PC eye

banned
If the port is on the board itself for onboard sound it would be a task for the non experienced soldier to see that replaced. Radio Shack has all the mini jacks for projects seen there. The mini jack is a two channel 1/8" mini plug type.

Sometimes the software for sound can get goofed up as well. You can try right clicking on the Sigma Tel onboard sound item found in the sound, video, and game controllers section in the device manager to select the update driver option there to see if Windows will automatically locate the latest version to see if that corrects it.

The support site for the system if prebuilt will generally have their latest version for onboard found there to reinstall a fresh set. A bad connection in the jack however is not good since the jacks are usually seen inside a preformed plastic enclosure while a substitute from Rat Shack might work if needed.

One thing needed here would be the make and model number of the sysem for the quick look for updates. But this is one reason why I always run a separate card plus the improved sound quality of an expansion card with the onboard as more of a temporary alrternative if a card goes doa.

I didnt see anything in my post that remotely sounded like I was talking to you.

I didn't see anything in the original post that sounded like I was talking to you either. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.