Speakers not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC eye

banned
It was already there before you even came on the thread. Isn't that fast enough? You forgot to read through the thread first that's it!

StrangleHold

Staff member
Listen PC eye I try my best not to read your post, theres so much nonsence between the (very few) things you get right its almost like having a slow aneurysm.

The fact is, theres nowhere in her posts that she actually did it so it was worth telling her again. Nothing I said had anything to do with you.

HippieGirl

Love the pissing match boys, but I'm not that hot! LOL

Anyway, I uninstalled the driver and rebooted. It reinstalled itself upon reboot and now I have no sound at all, not even from the front headphone jack. BTW, the headphones didn't work in the back ports although they did before. I have always had them plugged in there.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Go to your Device Manager, see if theres any yellow or red exclamation points, right click on it and hit update driver. If not just reinstall the drivers.

PC eye

banned
Besides the update driver option it may take a full removal of the software portion as well to see a fresh install a second time in order to work. If you didn't see everythng off the first time or saw an incomplete install a fresh attempt will likely get everything going again.

PC eye

banned
Often you have to go into the Programs+Features and look there for the software portion to see that removed unless you use a driver remover. The software for onboard is what effects the sound mixer part of things.

If you remove everything and maybe even download a fresh copy of the update you should all drivers go on along with the software part. That's in case the first download was incomplete. Or sometimes you simply have to retry a few times until Windows finally decides to install everything.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I thought the uninstall makes it go away completely. How do you get it completely uninstalled?

No that just uninstalls the device not the drivers. When windows reboots it just hunts the driver down and reinstalls the device. If right clicking on it and using update driver doesnt work, if you have the drivers go into your Add and Remove and uninstall the sound drivers, reboot and install the drivers fresh.

HippieGirl

I had to reboot to install a botware proggie and my headphones cameback but not the speakers.

I'll let you know how the bot programs works, it's free :D

PC eye

banned
The self contained installer seen on the update should have been enough by itself. Take a look at any antivirus or firewall program you have there since those can interfere with updates at times.

If you are no longer seeing anything yellow marked you now have to look over the software portion for a mixer to see if anything is disabled. That would be things like mic, line in, auxillery, what u hear, etc. there.

PC eye

banned
For that if the driver update saw drivers unpacked in a folder you would right click on that, choose the let me search my computer option to see what comes up on the next screen like Sigma Tel for the onboard. That will show if something is still missing for the onboard or any expansion device you added since buying the system new there.

If that turns out to be the Sigma Tel item you know that something still isn't going on fully when applying the update. The "botware proggie" you mentioned likely got in the way of seeing a full working install. oops!

SirKenin

banned
Sigmatel HD...

Do you happen to have the Microsoft High Definition Audio driver installed? Check to make sure it's in there.. Something tells me you don't. I'll bet that's what the unknown device is. And in case you still haven't, reset your BIOS.. F2 to get into it, <CTRL> <ALT> <F> to reset it if there's no F6 or F9 option to do so.

To check, look under System Devices for "High Definition Audio Controller"

Last edited:

The Gamer

Are you sure that you haven't installed any programs that could possibly prevent the sound card from functioning properly?
& did you try to do "a system restore"?
Try out these two things & notify us..

SirKenin

banned
That second site is a leech site. The driver is being leeched from Dell. You should delete the link from your post so that they don't get the traffic for being thieves.

Status
Not open for further replies.