SSD install

2string1

How difficult is it to change a desktop over from a sata hard drive to a SSD? I would have to do a fresh install of win 10. My desktop was originally win 8. I only have the code. No CD. The SSD drive is a
Samsung 850 PRO - 256GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE256BW). Will my computer automatically read it and does it use the same connection plugs? What else do I need to know?

Laquer Head

In addition to @beers post, you wont need the code/product key.. since the mainboard has previous had a Windows 10 install, it should just auto-activate for you

2string1

There is several options on the link you gave me. Which should I choose. I'm not to smart when it comes to doing this. I unplug the OS hard drive first and then plug in the SSD? Then what? Could someone give me more instructions on this? I have 2 Hard drives in my computer. How to I detect which one is the OS drive?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    188.6 KB · Views: 4

2string1

I just read part of the sticky. "Setup and Manage SSD" I think I'll have a local computer repair service do it for me. It's only $75.00 for the install. Small price for piece of mind...

Geoff

VIP Member
I just read part of the sticky. "Setup and Manage SSD" I think I'll have a local computer repair service do it for me. It's only $75.00 for the install. Small price for piece of mind...
Does that include the OS install? Because you could save yourself $75 by spending 2 hours doing it yourself.

2string1

Yes that includes a fresh install of Win 10. If all I needed to do is plug it in and download win 10, I could do it. But it sounds like there is more involved.

2string1

Just received my SSD in the mail. I never seen one before. There is nothing to them. Nothing like the big heavy,clunky hard drives of yesterday. Amazing...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There is several options on the link you gave me. Which should I choose. I'm not to smart when it comes to doing this. I unplug the OS hard drive first and then plug in the SSD? Then what? Could someone give me more instructions on this? I have 2 Hard drives in my computer. How to I detect which one is the OS drive?

Disconnect all drives from the system except for the SSD, if you have other drives attached its possible the boot files could be placed on the other drive instead of the SSD. Download the tool from that page, start the process, either create the iso via usb or download the iso file so you can put it on a dvd and then boot to the dvd. After install is complete and system is at desktop then it will automatically activate since you had windows 10 installed prior. Then you can shut system down and attach other drives.

Laquer Head

Yes that includes a fresh install of Win 10. If all I needed to do is plug it in and download win 10, I could do it. But it sounds like there is more involved.

NO NO NO NO... DONT WASTE YOUR $75... WE WILL HELP YOU..

FOR GODS SAKES...DONT DO IT..BUY BEER WITH IT!!! :)

Laquer Head

Download the media creation tool..insert a blank USB flash drive...follow the prompts and the tool will download Windows 10 onto that drive for you.

Assuming you have physically installed the SSD into your machine, you can then reboot the machine with USB flash drive installed still, if the machine doesn't automatically start the setup process (booting from that USB drive) you just need to go into the BIOS when you you first turn the machine on and select the USB drive as the priority boot option. ..after that follow the prompts and install windows onto your C drive (The new SSD)

It's truly a very easy process and one you can 100% do for free on your own at home.. (I recommend you grab a beer to enjoy while the machine does the work for you) :)

2string1

OK sounds easy enough. I have 2 drives in right now. One is the(C) OS drive and the other is my (D) drive with my photos and music on. How do I know which one to unplug and replace with the SSD? Do I just unplug one of them by trial and error until I get the one with the OS on it? When I do find the C drive do I remove it and replace it with the SSD and then open up the thumb drive and follow the directions?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need to remove all drives except the SSD which I said in my post above. Boot to the usb flash drive with 10 on it and follow prompts. It's that simple. You may need to install a driver or 2 but that is easy.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Create installation media for another pc. Then you'll get the option for usb or iso file.

2string1

C drive is good. When I plug in the D drive with all my music and pics it turned into a E drive. The D drive also shows under "This PC" but is not plugged in. What to do? I'm not sure if I can delete it or if I should. There is no option for that and rename the E drive back to D with my data on it.

Last edited: