SSD install

2string1

I know I have to install all my software on the C drive. All my data like photos and music use to be on my D. Now it's on a E drive. I show 3 drives but have only 2 plugged in. The OS SSD drive and now the E drive with my data on it. Can I delete the D drive and rename the E to D I don't consider the F as a removable hard drive.

Attachments

• drives.PNG
    drives.PNG
    21.3 KB · Views: 3
  • C drive.PNG
    C drive.PNG
    36.6 KB · Views: 4
  • D drive.PNG
    D drive.PNG
    85.3 KB · Views: 2
  • E drive.PNG
    E drive.PNG
    40.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like drive d and e are actually 2 partitions of a 1 tb drive. Disc management will tell you.

2string1

So what does this tell you and how do I fix it so I have only a C drive for the OS and a D drive for my Data?

Attachments

• Disk Management.PNG
    Disk Management.PNG
    59.4 KB · Views: 4

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just so you know, the D drive was your old C drive that had windows on it and E was your data drive. Now you SSD is the C drive so that pushed your old C drive to letter D and your data drive to letter E. You can 1 of 2 things.

1. Leave it the way it is in case you need to access windows from the original drive or
2. Use disk management to delete all partitions except E drive and then expand E drive with the extra space gained.

2string1

Will using it this way slow down things? Would you leave it like this? Could you take a snap shot of my disk management pic and put a check mark on the things I should delete? Is it that simple or is there more involved then just deleting? Thanks for your help.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you need any data off D drive? If not, then you can delete it. Use disk management, then right click on each of the 4 partitions circled and click on delete volume. Then when all 4 are deleted, click on Drive E partition and click on expand.

drive.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It had to have came partitioned this way or someone did it for you. That is how I usually partition a drive, a small say 150gb partition for OS and programs and the rest of the drive for data.

Darren

Staff member
NO NO NO NO... DONT WASTE YOUR $75... WE WILL HELP YOU..

FOR GODS SAKES...DONT DO IT..BUY BEER WITH IT!!! :)
Hey us repair shop techs have to eat too...

But yeah don't waste your money. The tech doing it probably gets 10% of that.

2string1

When I right click on 3 of them all I get is a Help pop up. The 4th one I deleted now says, Unallocated. There is no expand option under the E drive, just extend volume.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    112 KB · Views: 2

Laquer Head

When I right click on 3 of them all I get is a Help pop up. The 4th one I deleted now says, Unallocated. There is no expand option under the E drive, just extend volume.
Extend/Expand same deal..

When you click it, you should be able to take that 'unallocated' space and 'extend' the current drive by adding in that 'unallocated' space to it..

Basically what your doing is getting rid of all the small partitions and making better use of the 931GB (formatted) drive space on the 1TB hard disk.

The little partitions are just that little...the space they are taking is so miniscule.

--

Another option, is to backup the data you don't want to lose onto a portable drive, then completely format that internal 1TB disk - then just put your data back onto the newly formatted 1TB drive.