SSD Used/Unused capacity

Discussion in 'Computer Memory and Hard Drives' started by A_Tom, Mar 19, 2014.

1. A_Tom

A_Tom Member

I have a 60gb drive which shows to have only 22gb of unused capacity. If I add up the size of all of the folders under this drive, I get about 25gb, which should leave 35gb unused, more or less. How can I figure out what is using the extra capacity and is there some way I can free it up? I've emptied the recycle bin.

2. voyagerfan99

voyagerfan99 Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again Staff Member

Download and run WinDirStat to see what is taking up space on the drive. Also keep in mind the way NTFS behaves you won't see a full 60GB drive - more along the lines of 55GB or so.

https://windirstat.info/

3. Geoff

Geoff VIP Member

Are you adding up the size of hidden files as well?

4. A_Tom

A_Tom Member

I suppose that windows explorer disk usage does not reflect hidden files, so I suppose not. I'll do more checking.

5. Geoff

Geoff VIP Member

Taking into account the file size difference when formatting the drive, you only have ~8GB unaccounted for.

6. A_Tom

A_Tom Member

Did that, thanks. It's mostly in 2 files: pagefiles and what I take to be a hibernate file. The pagefile space is obviously necessary, but I'm not sure about the hibernate, since I never use that.

Did this: (from cmd window) powercfg.exe -h off
    This gave me about 6 more gb of disk space.

7. voyagerfan99

How much ram does your system have? I'd change your pagefile size to a custom size of 2048mb if you have more than 4GB of RAM installed.

8. linkin

linkin VIP Member

1) Reduce page file size. Set it to a static size through system properties.

2) Run this from elevated command prompt to disable hibernation and delete the hibernation file: "powercfg -h off" (without quotes)

3) If you have MS Office installed and you have the installation media, you can safely delete the MSOCache folder under the C drive

4) If you've installed AMD of Nvidia drivers, check the C:\ folder for AMD/Nvidia folders and delete them as they only contain installers. For nvidia also check in program files for the "installer2" folder under nvidia which you can also delete

9. A_Tom

A_Tom Member

I got rid of the hiberfile. Since I have 8gb of ram, the page file is set to 8 also, which is fine with me.

10. voyagerfan99

You don't need or want an 8GB page file with an SSD. Shrink it down to 1 or 2GB.

11. A_Tom

A_Tom Member

Done, thanks.