Stable OC with i5-4690K

Origin Saint

Hi all,

I'm working on a desktop build for gaming, and eventually after it's finished, I would like to OC the CPU a bit to squeeze some life out of it. I will be using a Intel i5-4690K. The case I've got has 3 exhaust fans in the back and top, and 2 intake fans on the bottom and the front. I also will have a EVGA SSC 4GB GTX 960 on a ASUS Z97-A MOBO. I'm looking to use a Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212 as the aftermarket cooler, but I'm not sure. I don't know that I want to spend a ton on a CPU cooler, but I'm open to any other suggestions.

I'd like to know what you guys think I could OC the CPU to, while maintaining stability. From the looks of the articles and other forum posts I've read, it seems to top out at about 4.5GHz, but I wanted an opinion from you guys too. I'm not particularly looking at using a watercooler on it, so please refrain from suggesting the Corsair H100 ;)

So what do you guys think I could pull off safely? And what do you wager my temps would be around? I'm open to other suggestions for coolers as well. Thanks for the help guys!

Origin Saint

Yeah, I realize that there's things like the ambient room temperature, placement of the case and it's proximity to other things near the fan, amount of dust build up, every CPU is different, and every scenario is different. I just wanted to see if anybody had tried something similar that could tell me what they were able to get.

tylerjrb

it should be able to do 4.5ghz with that cooler for gaming etc. But as stated it may need more/less voltage than other chips, May run hotter/cooler than other chips. You wont really know untill you receive it.

It also depends how hot you want to run it aswell.

Last edited:

Renzore101

Hello Origin Saint,

I have an i5 4690k oc'ed to 4GHz with a Hyper 212 Evo that doesn't break a sweat at idle around 30C - 32C. For my configuration I have the PSU in the bottom of the case, 1x intake fan in front 1x exhaust in back and 1x 120mm exhaust fan on the top mount. What type of case were you looking into?

beers

Staff member
Hello Origin Saint,

I have an i5 4690k oc'ed to 4GHz with a Hyper 212 Evo that doesn't break a sweat at idle around 30C - 32C

I don't think idle was the worry here :p

What kind of load temps?

Also per the quote above I don't imagine the 212 being able to handle higher voltages needed to hit 4.5 or similar.

Renzore101

I don't think idle was the worry here :p

What kind of load temps?

Also per the quote above I don't imagine the 212 being able to handle higher voltages needed to hit 4.5 or similar.

:D I suppose idle is kind of a pointless reference point unless something is terribly wrong. I will have to perform a burn test at some point to get an idea of how efficiently heat is being dissipated. After a long night of GTAV + D3 I see temps in HWINFO of 53C max. Considering that I have never clocked past 4GHz, it works for my needs, but I would be curious as to how drastic of a difference .5 GHz could make in the temps I am seeing currently.

@ beers How do you like the 200R case? I purchased the 300R and love it! The fellows at microcenter were trying to talk me in to a nzxt case that would have been better for a water cooling loop but I had my mind set on the 300R.

Last edited:

C4C

With my PC under load, I saw about a 10C difference from 3.9 to 4.3.... Going up to 4.5 requires some major stability tests and I'm not going in until I get my cooler.

4.3GHz + 1.5V = 73°C under load for me. It's different build to build, which kind of sucks..

Hopping in on the 200R: It's a great case for the money, and offers great ventilation.. Not the best when it comes to preventing dust from getting in. Features are good though.

Renzore101

With my PC under load, I saw about a 10C difference from 3.9 to 4.3.... Going up to 4.5 requires some major stability tests and I'm not going in until I get my cooler.

4.3GHz + 1.5V = 73°C under load for me. It's different build to build, which kind of sucks..

Hopping in on the 200R: It's a great case for the money, and offers great ventilation.. Not the best when it comes to preventing dust from getting in. Features are good though.

Yeah, even with my case I notice I need to give it a good cleaning soon. Those temps you mentioned on a stock AMD cooler?

beers

Staff member
@ beers How do you like the 200R case? I purchased the 300R and love it! The fellows at microcenter were trying to talk me in to a nzxt case that would have been better for a water cooling loop but I had my mind set on the 300R.

Best case for the money I've found. Really enjoyed building with it, was surprised since it was pretty inexpensive comparatively to others of similar quality.

kdfresh09

C4C... 1.5v for 4.3Ghz is really high, temps are good though so im surprised. ive got the 4790k, and am able to get 4.5Ghz @ 1.25v. load temps under extreme stress testing reached 83c. confusing

beers

Staff member
C4C... 1.5v for 4.3Ghz is really high, temps are good though so im surprised. ive got the 4790k, and am able to get 4.5Ghz @ 1.25v. load temps under extreme stress testing reached 83c. confusing

I think he was quoting his Athlon. The ranges are pretty different, most AMD chips have been around ~1.55v "safe" for a while.

Jiniix

Look out for the new 212X. It's a revised version of the 212, should be same price or $1-2 more, but it's hard to find available.
Based on limited experience with Haswell, but extensive experience with previous generation and information from the intertubes, I would guess 1.25v @ 4.3-4.4GHz with temps peaking at 85-90 in stress tests.
but please know it's impossible to ascertain with so many variables

Renzore101

Look out for the new 212X. It's a revised version of the 212, should be same price or $1-2 more, but it's hard to find available.
Based on limited experience with Haswell, but extensive experience with previous generation and information from the intertubes, I would guess 1.25v @ 4.3-4.4GHz with temps peaking at 85-90 in stress tests.
but please know it's impossible to ascertain with so many variables

Based on official cooler master information you are talking about a difference of 1-2 degrees C on stock speeds or overclocked to 4.6 GHz respectively. I personally do not see enough of a reason to upgrade to the new model if my current 212 evo is working fine. Obviously the new revision would be the best way to go for that small of a price difference in a new build however.

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212x/

Jiniix

Did I misunderstand OP when he said he was looking for a cheap cooling solution?
I'm looking to use a Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212 as the aftermarket cooler, but I'm not sure. I don't know that I want to spend a ton on a CPU cooler, but I'm open to any other suggestions.

Renzore101

Did I misunderstand OP when he said he was looking for a cheap cooling solution?

No, I understand that, I was just stating my opinion on the new model. I guess this is how new revisions of PC components typically occur anyway, marginal improvements over the previous generation.

Okedokey

I don't see any benefit from overclocking that CPU with the other components in your system. Anything other than synthetic benchmarks will show insignificant improvements. All pain no gain.

Jiniix

I can't believe what I'm hearing Okedokey!
There's always a reason to overclock, and if you can't find one - that's the reason!
No but seriously, it depends on the games in my opinion. APB and CSGO, off the top of my head, likes a high clocked CPU a lot.

No, I understand that, I was just stating my opinion on the new model. I guess this is how new revisions of PC components typically occur anyway, marginal improvements over the previous generation.
From what I could find, it should be audibly quieter than the previous, which is a huge plus in my book. And the normal one is already very quiet. (Dual stock fans @ 5v on AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ 4.2GHz 1.45v = 47C at max peak load and no noise)

Last edited: