Starcraft 2 Thread

salvage-this

Hey everyone. Thought I would get a Starcraft 2 thread up.

So what strategies are people playing? I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I can finally get out of the bronze league.

Foodang

I was between 3-6 in platinum before the reset I couldn't get into diamond and now after my placement match which i lost they threw me into diamond rank 47. And Ive actually been doing pretty good i got down to rank 23 diamond. I try to play 2-3 games a day but I ALWAYS watch the GSL. Ive been playing as zerg and yes terran is imbalanced. I try to fast expand whenever I can and either switch into high econ zergling/bane or go for muta.

salvage-this

I wish that I had enough bandwidth at school to watch the GSL or Day 9. We get a gig a day so if I watch an episode I usually go over for the day and get an email yelling at me :(

I just started a month ago. I play as protoss and I go with the usual build with stalkers, chargelots and either colossi or void rays and carriers. I am still learning the other tech trees as well as trying to learn how to use multiple armies at once. I generally get one huge army and go take him out all at once.

I really want to learn Zerg too but that seems way harder and I am still having quite a bit of trouble moving up in the ranks.

Manakore

I am yet to play a ranked match, since I mainly play custom games (Tower Defense or Tug of War mainly). However, once I learn some more strategy I can't wait to start ranked matches.

Demilich

To be honest, there is no one strategy to Starcraft. Scouting, and then building and producing according to what you have scouted in your opponents base is the best strategy. Scouting normally being one of your SCV's, drone's, or probe's entering the enemy base to retrieve information. The first 10 minutes of scouting is crucial to any Starcraft match. Blindly attacking your opponent is suicide at best, and rarely works. The pro's "always" scout. And when they don't scout, they don't "usually" do so well. "Turtling", or sitting in your base and macroing large amounts of units and hoping to win is also normally a fail tactic. Also, Terran is not imbalanced.

Best way to understand what I'm talking about is watching the pro's play:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HDstarcraft

Last edited:

salvage-this

I do scout for with probes in the beginning but I rarely get any info out of it. Observers a bit later in the game help me figure out what tech tree to work on.

Demilich

I do scout for with probes in the beginning but I rarely get any info out of it. Observers a bit later in the game help me figure out what tech tree to work on.

You rarely get any info out of scouting from the 2:00 to 5:00 range? For example, if the enemy is building Marines and Marauders, zerglings or roaches, building an early Refinery, expanding, etc, you can't find a good unit combo to build as a way to immediately gain an advantage? For me, I've found it's crucial. Not that I'm an expert lolz I just found it's easier to know what the opponent is brewing in the early game so that I'm ahead. I used to be terrible when I just built a bunch of units lolz

tlarkin

VIP Member
I was gold/plat before the reset. Sort of burned out on it now. Haven't really played that much or well the last few games.

I play random, so I play all races. My favorite combos/builds are (after scouting of course)

Marines/siege tanks/medvacs + upgrades

speedlots, stalkers, immortals, phoenix

speedlings, hyrdas, banes, ultras

I typically send a scout out almost immediately and hide them someone near the enemies base. Then around the 3 minute mark I queue up like 500 Click moves around the base patrolling everything. So I can see what they are building. I also like to pump out basic troops fast, so I can push at the 5 to 6 minute mark if I have to.

I just love marines with siege tanks. I love baiting my enemy in, or dropping them with medvacs. Siege tanks make great defense too. Also, always build detection. If you don't have detection I will have ghosts, roaches, or dark templars in your base asap. That is one thing I always scout, is if they have detection. I also always get up detection as fast as possible. If I am playing a team game with or as protoss I will make lots of observers and send them with my allies.

Demilich

I was gold/plat before the reset. Sort of burned out on it now. Haven't really played that much or well the last few games.

I play random, so I play all races. My favorite combos/builds are (after scouting of course)

Marines/siege tanks/medvacs + upgrades

speedlots, stalkers, immortals, phoenix

speedlings, hyrdas, banes, ultras

I typically send a scout out almost immediately and hide them someone near the enemies base. Then around the 3 minute mark I queue up like 500 Click moves around the base patrolling everything. So I can see what they are building. I also like to pump out basic troops fast, so I can push at the 5 to 6 minute mark if I have to.

I just love marines with siege tanks. I love baiting my enemy in, or dropping them with medvacs. Siege tanks make great defense too. Also, always build detection. If you don't have detection I will have ghosts, roaches, or dark templars in your base asap. That is one thing I always scout, is if they have detection. I also always get up detection as fast as possible. If I am playing a team game with or as protoss I will make lots of observers and send them with my allies.

Basically all of what you said I love doing. My friend and I played many 2v2's at first, however, he kept wanting to stay in his base and turtle with Protoss, just macroing tons of Voidrays and photon cannons, hoping the enemy doesn't attack, and hoping to win. He got tired of losing quite fast, and quit lol not to say I didn't have faults as well. Now I'm doing 1v1's. But yeah, constantly being aware of what your opponent is doing is key for sure, especially when they don't have detection.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Playing as random I lost a lot of ladder matches in the beginning since I wasn't the best with all three races. However, after enough practice I got better and I think knowing how to play each one is good to counter against it.

The thing you gotta watch out for is fast expand in team games. It can be risky but if you fast expand quick enough you can not only bust out your army fast, but you can also grade fast. I won so many games due to my opponent not fully upgrading their units.

I always have multiple upgrade structures going at some point in time to run multiple upgrades simultaneously.

Demilich

Playing as random I lost a lot of ladder matches in the beginning since I wasn't the best with all three races. However, after enough practice I got better and I think knowing how to play each one is good to counter against it.

The thing you gotta watch out for is fast expand in team games. It can be risky but if you fast expand quick enough you can not only bust out your army fast, but you can also grade fast. I won so many games due to my opponent not fully upgrading their units.

I always have multiple upgrade structures going at some point in time to run multiple upgrades simultaneously.

Ah yes, I often forget about upgrades lolz

tlarkin

VIP Member
i could use people to play with if anyone is interested, im not very good tho lol

I really like doing 2v2 and sometimes 3v3. I will play 4v4 to mess around and try out new tactics but 4v4 is really just noob city as it is near impossible to get teams to work together and if all 4 attack one ally, people don't realize no matter how good you are you cannot defend against 4 players.

1v1 is fun, but to be honest I like the idea of having a teammate or two. The top 3v3 diamond team is like 150 wins and only 6 losses. I bet they are a freaking awesome team!

epidemik

I never really got the hang of multiplayer. Haven't had enough time to dedicate to the game recently but I did find that looking at various build orders and modifying them slightly to my play style drastically improved my skills.

While the video tutorials/explanations/commentated games are extremely helpful, you can find "build orders" in a text format online and then try them out vs the CPU to see what works for you since it sounds like your bandwidth is limited.

Anyone, feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to play some time. I'm really bad and haven't played online since winter break but I'd be down for a game sometime. Its a game I plan on getting better at (probably this summer) haha.

salvage-this

I scout right after my first pilon and I can usually get a decent idea of the first few units but I usually get taken out before I can get a lot of good information. I probably just need to use my probe better. I can see the obvious things like if they are going go mass marienes or rushing with zerglings. I am still learning how to get a stronger push earlier in the game so it doesn't come to 2 massive armies attacking each other in the middle of the map.

I play 2v2 and 3v3 with some friends that are both in the diamond league. It's kinda nice to see them play so I can get some ideas for when I play 1v1.

I am also up for playing if people want to. You should be able to find me under OhHamburgers. Just let me know who you are.

SuperDuperMe

how is this game, i mean i dont want to blasphemise but the gfx look rubbish, how is the ganmeplay though, i skipped on the first and have heard a lot of hype about both of them.
how does it compare to DoW, as that is my fave rts of all time

Manakore

how is this game, i mean i dont want to blasphemise but the gfx look rubbish, how is the ganmeplay though, i skipped on the first and have heard a lot of hype about both of them.
how does it compare to DoW, as that is my fave rts of all time

Well it is generally considered the best rts ever (or franchise). If you have ever played a Blizzard game you should know that it is a quality game with constant updates. It has a very competitive community and an excellent map builder. There are new custom games everyday, thus ensuring a new experience every day if you play custom matches (i.e. tug of war, DOTA, tower defense, or w.e random thing someone creates) The campaign is excellent as well.

emac227

I scout right after my first pilon and I can usually get a decent idea of the first few units but I usually get taken out before I can get a lot of good information. I probably just need to use my probe better. I can see the obvious things like if they are going go mass marienes or rushing with zerglings. I am still learning how to get a stronger push earlier in the game so it doesn't come to 2 massive armies attacking each other in the middle of the map.

I play 2v2 and 3v3 with some friends that are both in the diamond league. It's kinda nice to see them play so I can get some ideas for when I play 1v1.

I am also up for playing if people want to. You should be able to find me under OhHamburgers. Just let me know who you are.
you add people with email addresses

SuperDuperMe

Well it is generally considered the best rts ever (or franchise). If you have ever played a Blizzard game you should know that it is a quality game with constant updates. It has a very competitive community and an excellent map builder. There are new custom games everyday, thus ensuring a new experience every day if you play custom matches (i.e. tug of war, DOTA, tower defense, or w.e random thing someone creates) The campaign is excellent as well.

yeh i played warcraft, i was pratically obesseed with that when i was a kid, couldnt put it down for a bout a year

i may give it a go, is there a demo anywhere?