static ip adress

bit4bit

HI all, i'm trying to set up a statric ip adress on my pc (internal pc on network not external static ip). I went to this site:
http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
i followed the instructions all the way to the "Click the Use the following IP Address button" near the bottom.
I now have to enter my current ip address and default gateway into those two boxes just above and then click the button "find static ip's"

I'm only just learning about networks so I don't know if this is safe to just enter my details over the internet and press that button. I mean what if someone could hack me afterwards?

Can you tell me if this is safe or not, what I am trying to do, and has anyone used this site before? thanks

brian

VIP Member
you dont need a site to get a static ip. you just need to know your network. what i do is go to my network connections, right ckick your internet and hit statis. go to the top and hit the secount tab. that will give you all you need. there should be something like. (does not have to be but can)
ip address 192.168.1.10
sub net 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
then go to detales and there should be a dns. right that down if you need it is most likely 192.168.1.1 or what ever the gateway is. from there you can make a static. go back to my network address and right click the internet and go to properties ad in the scrool box scrool down. on the last one, click it and hit properties. thi the assign static ip bubble and fill in anything. it can be as followes (what ever it was up above replace with mine) (x being anything)
ip address 192.168.1.x
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
dns 192.168.1.1
and hit ok. easy as that

bit4bit

I used the command prompt to type: ipconfig/all and I get all the details.
I still don't understand what you sre saying to do with all the adresses.

I have got written down my current ip, subnetmask, default gateway, and DNS, and I need to use this window:

winxp-tcpip.jpg

So I just enter them all in there? (the ones I got from i.p config/all?). so whats the point of having that thing on their site where you have to enter all your things and it gives you the ip for comp1,comp2,comp3,....?

brian

VIP Member
nothing. it does nothing. it just makes random numbers. also no dont plug everything in just the subnet dns and the gateway. for the ip address it can be anything in the line of 192.168.1.x. so it could be 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.1.7. anything with 192.168.1

brian

VIP Member
but to answer your question. it is safe. there is nothing in there to harm your computer.

bit4bit

ok thanks. so putting that site aside then, I just have to use that window I showed and type in:

I.P adress: 192.168.1.x
subnet mask: same as I wrote down
default gateway: same as I wrote down
DNS: same as I wrote down
alternate DNS: ????

x can be any thing from 1-255? and what to put in alternate DNS?

thanks

brian

VIP Member
you dont need anything in the alternet dns. it is just if it fails but that never happens. you can just leave it blank.

bit4bit

that guide now says I have to enter ports numbers and the static ip too, to set up port forwarding, lol. Do I really have to do all that? or can I just do it something like before?

brian

VIP Member
acually no you can have them all the same. because your router is 192.168.1.1 or what ever your gateway is. your gateway is your router ip. so it cant be the same. (should of mentioned it :p)

brian

VIP Member
just the last number, yes. the ip cant be taken also so if you continue and dont know if it is taken just ping it, ping x.x.x.x

brian

VIP Member
that guide now says I have to enter ports numbers and the static ip too, to set up port forwarding, lol. Do I really have to do all that? or can I just do it something like before?

tricky, you do need to fill it out. but what are you using it for? if it is for a web server, the potr would be 80 but your router has that so you could have the incomeing port be 81 and the out be 80. there you could go to your ip address from out side and be like 24.678.90.12:81 and it would go to your web server.

bit4bit

hi, I entered all the adresses in that window. the gateway ip and the dns were the same, and the ip adress was 192.168.1.x wgere x was between 1-255 but it didnt work. when I turned my computer back on this morning, i opened my browser and it keeps sayiong server not found, so I looked at the properties and it says that my pc was sending bytes but not recieving them (in the activity box).
then I just had to change the settings back to 'choose automatically' from the list, and now i can connect. what am i doing wrong?? thanks

bit4bit

what am I using it for?, I'm using it to forward my ports on utorrent.

the guide says that I need to disable 'upnp port mapping' in the utorrent prefernces, choose a suitable port (I chose 50000, which is within the range they recommend), and then go type http://192.168.2.x into my browser to take me to the router page and set up the port forwarding. 192.168.2.x is the static ip adress that I chose, and x is between 1 and 255. I cant beleive how hard all of this is to set up. has anyone here done it before themselves?

Deepblue

Setting a static ip and opening ports is simple once you understand what you are setting and what for.

as stated before when you ran ipconfig /all and wrote the info down
this is the info you need but you have to get this info while you have a active internet connection.

none of these address should be the same.
ip address 192.168.1.x
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

Both DNS addresses are the address of your ISPs dns servers you will get both of these from ipconfig /all but only if you have a active internet connection. you will need these addresses to be able to open webpages by
the FQDN such as www.google.com.

setting up port forwarding in you router is to open ports to let data pass the router and be sent to the right pc

so first you will need to know what type of port TCP or UDP or select both.
you will then need to set the port range. and the ip address of the system that the data should be sent to. this is why you are setting a static ip in the first place

I hope this helps

tlarkin

VIP Member
If you have a router that supports Static DHCP (like mine does) it makes it tons easier. You just flag the mac address in the routers cp that you want to be assigned the same IP over and over, give it then IP you want it to.

Then in applications and restrictions you simply add the utorrent app in and give it the port(s) you want it to use when forwarded and then make sure you mirror that port in the utorrent client applicaiton.

Its a lot easier than it sounds.

bit4bit

Thanks alot for all the help, I really do appreciate it.
I think I have my static ip set up correctly now, because evry time I turn my pc/router on/off and check ipconfig/all in the cmd prompt, the 'current ip adress' is the same evry time. So now to forward the ports. :)

My main problem is in the guide it says to type my static ip into my browser window like this:

F5D6231-40.jpg

but when I do, it just say 'problem loading page'. ( Also I have done all of this so far while I have had an active internet connection too)

If you have a router that supports Static DHCP (like mine does) it makes it tons easier. You just flag the mac address in the routers cp that you want to be assigned the same IP over and over, give it then IP you want it to.

Its a lot easier than it sounds.

How do I check if I have static DCHP on my router? Also I thought the whole point of DHCP, was that the router asigns a different ip to your computer each time, so why is it static? Also what do you mean by 'flag the mac adress'? I'm sure it is much easier than it sounds but all the terms are so cryptic for me :p

so first you will need to know what type of port TCP or UDP or select both.
you will then need to set the port range. and the ip address of the system that the data should be sent to. this is why you are setting a static ip in the first place

Ok so how do I know what type of port, TCP or UDP, I need to open to the router, and what are actually the difrence between them? also what do you mean by 'port range'? I thought I only need to open one port per application?

just the last number, yes. the ip cant be taken also so if you continue and dont know if it is taken just ping it, ping x.x.x.x

what do you mean by 'ping it'?

sorry to ask so many questions, thnaks for helping :)