static ip adress

tlarkin

VIP Member
How do I check if I have static DCHP on my router? Also I thought the whole point of DHCP, was that the router asigns a different ip to your computer each time, so why is it static? Also what do you mean by 'flag the mac adress'? I'm sure it is much easier than it sounds but all the terms are so cryptic for me

Well in my network at home I want all wifi clients to be DHCP, but I want a few desktops to have statics. Static DHCP allows to you keep Dynamic IPs but assign statics to a certain MAC Address. I will attach a screen shot of my router's CP which allows me to do so. Every control panel and firmware is different.

reference: http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3624251

Deepblue

Thanks alot for all the help, I really do appreciate it.
I think I have my static ip set up correctly now, because evry time I turn my pc/router on/off and check ipconfig/all in the cmd prompt, the 'current ip adress' is the same evry time. So now to forward the ports. :)

My main problem is in the guide it says to type my static ip into my browser window like this:

F5D6231-40.jpg

but when I do, it just say 'problem loading page'. ( Also I have done all of this so far while I have had an active internet connection too)

How do I check if I have static DCHP on my router? Also I thought the whole point of DHCP, was that the router asigns a different ip to your computer each time, so why is it static? Also what do you mean by 'flag the mac adress'? I'm sure it is much easier than it sounds but all the terms are so cryptic for me :p

Ok so how do I know what type of port, TCP or UDP, I need to open to the router, and what are actually the difrence between them? also what do you mean by 'port range'? I thought I only need to open one port per application?

what do you mean by 'ping it'?

sorry to ask so many questions, thnaks for helping :)

UDP is a connection less protocal meaning you dont have to establish a connection for data to be transfered TCP is connection oriented protocal meaning a connection has to be established.

the documents with the application you are opening the ports for should tell you what protcal is needing to be opened or you can just open both.

some applications need a range of ports open some need multiple ports open and some only need one port open that all depends on the application you are useing.

when you was entering the staic ip you have posted 192.168.1.1
what are you attempting to do. if you are attempted to enter you router setup you would enter the address of your default gateway.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
UDP is a connection less protocal meaning you dont have to establish a connection for data to be transfered TCP is connection oriented protocal meaning a connection has to be established.
That's a little misleading, it's right but confusing. TCP is used for guranteed delivery (ie webpages and whatnot), it has flow control. This is so that everything gets to the destination and in the right order. UDP doesn't care if it gets there or what order it's in.

bit4bit

tlarkin:
Ok, I understand a little better what static DCHP is after reading that reference, but I'm still not sure how to check if I can use it on my router, and how I would assign one to my PC.
Here is the screenshot of my router setup screen if it helps:

deepblue:
thanks I was just entering my static ip and not my default getway, but now Ive donr it right and I can get into my router settings :D. also for TCP and UDP, it wont do any harm if I just open up both protocol, cos im not sure really which one to use? also I think from the guides on portforward.com I just open 1 port for utorrent, and all connections go to this (also in utorrent settings, there is only an option to set a single port).

Im still trying to follow that guide on portforward.com, but is isnt well written, and clear exactly what I do (for a beginner at least :p).

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Hmm its hard to say because I don't use belkin routers....

Just poke around in your control panel and see if there is any configuration anywhere to bind an IP to a MAC address of the system you want to give static. Or just give your PC the static IP that is in the range of the DHCP server.

The sad thing is most companies skimp out on the firmware customization on routers. They just slap a crappy UI on there with stripped options.

bit4bit

lol, ok. never mind I followed that guide now, and did it all, Im seeing some much better download speeds already!!! :D:D:D I didnt realise that the details are suposed to come up in that box at the bottom lol. I still might have a poke around the router settings now I discovered it anyway, and see if I can use static DCHP, just to try and learn a bit more about networks and stuff on a rainy day.

anyway thanks alot to all of you for helping me, really happy to finally get some good speeds :D:D

bit4bit

I have a couple more questions about utorrent actually. how can I check what my internet connection is? I want to check my download speed and upload speed, cos I heard it is best to set my upload speed at about 80% of the maximum speed. also is it possible to see the share ratio of other people who upload a file to me out of intrest?

bit4bit

thanks again. I cant believe the speeds im geeting now, I was getting about 40kb/s max before (with alot of seeds) (15kb/s avg) and now im getting speeds like 300kb/s upwards! lovin it! :)