Still so hot!!!!

lovely?

This computer is a room heater. thats not a joke and im not exaggerating, its blistering in my room right now. so i decided to underclock and undervolt my processor and ram trying to cool my temps but look:

Untitled1.jpg

wtf? 1.1v but still like 45C???

fade2green514

its the cooler, either that or you applied it wrong. is that idle? ouch thats a high temp for 2ghz dual core .. especially a 45nm.

did you apply the thermal paste right, after cleaning the heatsink correctly? you may need to re-do the application. better airflow in your case could do the trick too, my cpu temps drop by like 3-5C when i take the side of my case off. of course, i have good airflow anyways so it might drop yours by 10C. heat buildup can be a problem.

lovely?

its the stock intel cooler, no dust, two 80mm outward fans two 120mm intakes. undervolted to 1.088V (was running at 1.3125 at 3ghz) and the temperature is at idle. this is really pissing me off!

also my northbridge is at stock voltage and running a bit warm, and my ram is running at 800mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8V

you might be onto something with the thermal paste though, i know the basics of applying the stuff but im nowhere near good at it... so thats what it probably is?

Last edited:

fade2green514

probably. what compound did you use to cool it?

most will use arctic cooling mx-2 or arctic silver 5 thermal compound.

lovely?

i got some crap that came with my friends arctic cooling freezer 7 pro i think (or zalman im not entirely sure what it is). its a little tube with white paste inside.

Cleric7x9

a better CPU cooler wont help keep your room cooler, but it will help keep your CPU cooler. the CPU will make the same amount of heat regardless of what cooler is on it, changing the cooler will just change how well the computer is able to dissipate that heat to the environment. arguably, a better cooler will make your room hotter because the better cooler will take more heat away from the CPU and move it to your room.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
a better CPU cooler wont help keep your room cooler, but it will help keep your CPU cooler. the CPU will make the same amount of heat regardless of what cooler is on it, changing the cooler will just change how well the computer is able to dissipate that heat to the environment. arguably, a better cooler will make your room hotter because the better cooler will take more heat away from the CPU and move it to your room.
Finally someone said it! No matter how good cooling you have, if ambient temps are too high it ain't going to do a lot, and as Cleric said, it's actually going to make your room hotter. Rather than investing in new cooling for your computer, you should look into better air conditioning.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
If it really feels that hot, then it could be your video card. 45C for a CPU is not very hot.

What cooler do you have? That could be it, get a Tuniq Tower or even an AC7Pro. But as mentioned, won't make a difference in your room heat problems.

gamerman4

well your PSU doesn't even look like its providing stable power. The 12V rail is only at 11.51V right there, faulty or weak PSUs can definitely increase heat.

Also, go into your BIOS and make sure the all the temp control things on the CPU are activated like the SpeedStep (EIST) stuff.

aSc1@3

I have seen what you all said about cpu temps not affecting room temps, but I would reverse the case fans, the 120mm fans blowing out, 80mm fans sucking in.

aSc1@3

It would create a vacuum affect inside the case, a.k.a. air will be constantly moving in through the small cracks and vents and such in the case, which will create constant airflow throughout the case.