Still so hot!!!!

Kornowski

VIP Member
lol i saw that. I think everyones ignoring you.

Haha, Seems so... :cool: lol

Right, Just DL'ed Speedfan, just for this thread! Look, Cores at 35c on Matt's CPU. That's not hot!

Here's my computer;

Untitled-1-44.jpg

It's nothing to worry about.

/Thread

Last edited:

Yeti

VIP Member
Cleric7x9 said:
a better CPU cooler wont help keep your room cooler, but it will help keep your CPU cooler. the CPU will make the same amount of heat regardless of what cooler is on it, changing the cooler will just change how well the computer is able to dissipate that heat to the environment. arguably, a better cooler will make your room hotter because the better cooler will take more heat away from the CPU and move it to your room.
While you are correct that a better cooler won't keep the room cooler, it won't heat the room any more either. A CPU consuming 50W of electricity will output 50W of heat regardless of the cooling method.

lovely?

His Cores are at 35c, that isn't hot at all...

under overclocked conditions i would say 35C is very good. but at underclocked and almost below one volt, 35C idle doesnt sound very good to me at all...

and i think i have driven a bit off course with my thread... here is my revised question: how do i get my computer to put out less heat Watts?

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, what's the ambient of your room?

No matter what you do, it won't go below the ambient of your room unless you're using a real good WC'ing kit... ;)

lovely?

Well, what's the ambient of your room?

No matter what you do, it won't go below the ambient of your room unless you're using a real good WC'ing kit... ;)

ambient temp is 75F, i'll look for a conversion now.

edit: so i think my ambient temp is 24C.

Yeti

VIP Member
lovely? said:
how do i get my computer to put out less heat Watts?
All you can really do is underclock/undervolt the various components, use Speedstep, and turn the hard drive(s) off when not in use. Since Speedstep is basically an automatic underclock, that might be the reason that you aren't getting much improvement from manually underclocking.

Cleric7x9

While you are correct that a better cooler won't keep the room cooler, it won't heat the room any more either. A CPU consuming 50W of electricity will output 50W of heat regardless of the cooling method.

so if a better cooler keeps the CPU at a lower temperature, where do you think that extra heat goes?

Kornowski

VIP Member
how dare you end my thread! lol

:p Sorry man!

ambient temp is 75F, i'll look for a conversion now.

edit: so i think my ambient temp is 24C.

Ok, You're 10c over ambient. I wouldn't consider that bad, remember you're never going to get ambient or sub-ambient temps unless you have some really bad-ass phase cooling or WC'ing.

You've probably experienced lower temps in the past, right? Do you recall if your ambient temperature was around the same? I know you wouldn't have measured it, but you could guess? :p

gamerman4

It might not be your CPU generating the heat. Ever thought about checking that GPU out? 8800gt puts out some heat. The PSU can also be a problem.

Yeti

VIP Member
Cleric7x9 said:
so if a better cooler keeps the CPU at a lower temperature, where do you think that extra heat goes?
There is no extra heat. If a CPU consumes 50W of electricity, it produces 50W of heat that is transfered to the room. That's it. Temperature is a potential and heat is a flow, analogous to voltage and current respectively. It doesn't matter if it's 40° or 100°, 50W is 50W.

Cleric7x9

There is no extra heat. If a CPU consumes 50W of electricity, it produces 50W of heat that is transfered to the room. That's it. Temperature is a potential and heat is a flow, analogous to voltage and current respectively. It doesn't matter if it's 40° or 100°, 50W is 50W.

im well aware of the laws of convection and thermodynamics. what i am saying is that, if a better cooler is taking more heat from the CPU, thereby allowing the CPU to run cooler, what do you think is happening to that extra heat? it is being dissipated into the environment...a bad cooler makes the CPU retain more of the heat, and it doesnt "flow" to the environment.

StrangleHold

Staff member
You best bet is go to walmart or somewhere and buy a cheap 99 buck AC and stick it in your window:D. If your room is hot you can buy all the fans and heatsinks you want and its not going to do all that much. Hot air in hot air out!!

Okedokey

im well aware of the laws of convection and thermodynamics. what i am saying is that, if a better cooler is taking more heat from the CPU, thereby allowing the CPU to run cooler, what do you think is happening to that extra heat? it is being dissipated into the environment...a bad cooler makes the CPU retain more of the heat, and it doesnt "flow" to the environment.

hes right.

Yeti

VIP Member
Cleric7x9 said:
Again, where is this extra heat coming from? The temperature adjusts to the heat throughput and the thermal resistance - Q_dot=ΔT/R, where Q_dot is the heat, ΔT is the temperature difference between the CPU and ambient temperature (T_cpu-T_amb), and R is the overal thermal resistance of the HSF. From this equation you can see the only variable you can control is the resistance by changing the HSF. So with a CPU running at steady load (constant Q_dot) and with the ambient air temperature constant, the only thing varied by changing the resistance is the CPU temperature. A CPU with a good heatsink can run at say 35° and that same CPU putting out the same amount of heat can run at 95° with a poor heatsink, assuming it doesn't die first. Heat doesn't get trapped. At steady state there will always be the same amount of heat being transfered; the temperatures just might change. Changing the CPU power consuption (i.e. heat output) means changing the efficiency. Unless you can show that this is happening, I stand by my statements.

Okedokey

The extra heat in this case is the different amounts transfered proportionately to the air.

The average molecular energy state (i.e. temperature) of the air will increase in a closed environment because more of it is transfered via the HSF, compared to the poorer HSF where the average molecular energy state of the cpu materials is relatively higher.

And example

If the thermal load (say 50W) is the same for both:

1. A quality HSF may transfer 80% of that into the atmosphere. So 40W of energy is now transfered to the air via the HSF.

2. A poorer HSF using the same 50W of waste heat, can only transfer 60% of the heat into the air, meaning the cpu will be hotter. Right?

Based on the above logic, the same energy load is available in each case, but different HSF efficiencies mean that a different percentage of energy can be transfered.

This would seem to me to explain how the temperature would increase, and is the principle reason why case air flow is so important. Am i missing something?

Last edited:

Yeti

VIP Member
bigfella said:
If the thermal load (say 50W) is the same for both:

1. A quality HSF may transfer 80% of that into the atmosphere. So 40W of energy is now transfered to the air via the HSF.

2. A poorer HSF using the same 50W of waste heat, can only transfer 60% of the heat into the air, meaning the cpu will be hotter. Right?

Based on the above logic, the same energy load is available in each case, but different HSF efficiencies mean that a different percentage of energy can be transfered.

Yes, except that your above logic is flawed. By conservation of energy any heatsink will transfer all of the heat, which is the electrical power consumption, from the CPU to the air - the entire point I'm trying to make. Even the CPU at 50W without any heatsink will reach a very high a steady-state temperature (the temperature at which h*ΔT=50W, where h is the convection coefficient through natural convection), though the CPU will most likely fail before that. As I said in my last post the only difference is the CPU temperature.

bigfella said:
This would seem to me to explain how the temperature would increase, and is the principle reason why case air flow is so important. Am i missing something?
The reason for case ventilation is to keep the case temperature as close as possible to room temperature, so the T_amb in my last post will be lower thus lowering T_cpu. Also, all non-actively cooled components (chipsets, hdds, caps, etc) rely on air circulation for cooling.