Still so hot!!!!

Cleric7x9

This will work for any system boundaries including the CPU - the CPU the heatsink and the room will work, the entire computer, PSU, case and all will also work if considering the total power consumption (if your computer uses 400W total, you essentially have a 400W space heater at your feet/on your desk). What you're not taking into account is that it is the potential that builds up. Therefore the temperature will increase not the energy flow, i.e. heat, by the equation Q_dot = ΔT/R. Take, for example, a sphere make of uranium that generates 100W of heat through nuclear decay. If this sphere is encased in some sort polymer insulator, the heat generation will not go up, but the temperature of the uranium sphere will increase.

please answer this question:

forgetting watts, temps, numbers, equations, and everything else.

Will a better heatsink draw more heat away from the CPU?

Yeti

VIP Member
please answer this question:

forgetting watts, temps, numbers, equations, and everything else.

Will a better heatsink draw more heat away from the CPU?
No, it will not. A CPU will output a given amount of heat which will proceed through the heatsink, though the temperatures may change. There is no heat storage unless transience is considered.

Cleric7x9

No, it will not. A CPU will output a given amount of heat which will proceed through the heatsink, though the temperatures may change. There is no heat storage unless transience is considered.

Then why do people buy better heatsinks? And OF COURSE we have to consider transience! This is a real life scenario.

Yeti

VIP Member
Then why do people buy better heatsinks? And OF COURSE we have to consider transience! This is a real life scenario.
As I have already said many times, the temperature of the CPU will increase if the resistance is increased, such as by a poor heatsink. Yes, I know that there will always be transience, but to explain a simple concept it is easier to assume ideal steady-state conditions. These same concepts can be explained with time variation, but then something has to be known of how the power varies with time and such.

Last edited:

lovely?

he's right, cleric. the heat will be dissipated exactly the same by the heatsink, but there will be a small amount of thermal build-up. but since it cant keep building (which would eventually result in a meltdown,) all of the energy being transferred from the processor to the heatsink is dissipated. so in the end one processor may be hotter but both heatsinks are heating up the exact same amount of air.

Cleric7x9

he's right, cleric. the heat will be dissipated exactly the same by the heatsink, but there will be a small amount of thermal build-up. but since it cant keep building (which would eventually result in a meltdown,) all of the energy being transferred from the processor to the heatsink is dissipated. so in the end one processor may be hotter but both heatsinks are heating up the exact same amount of air.

i know that all the energy being transferred from the CPU to the heatsink is being dissipated. my argument is that MORE energy is transferred from the cpu to the heatsink when you have a better heatsink. since enery is being transferred in the form of heat, and more energy is being transferred away from the heatsink, and the heatsink dissipates all of that energy to the air, then the air will be hotter. like i said before, if a better heatsink does not take more heat from the CPU and put it into the environment, then why do people bother buying a better heatsink at all?

lovely?

Tragic end to a thread that went on way longer than it should have.

/THREAD

(OH YEAH DANNY. I CAN DO THAT.)