Strange pixel problem - GPU or cable or...

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hi guys,

on the TOP LEFT CORNER of my LCD monitor, some 6 months ago, I have noticed something that looked like a row of dead pixels, 1 pixel wide and about 6 pixels high. I thought it was my 8 year old 15" LCD but when I upgraded to a new 23" LG LCD, the same occured. It made me think something else was at fault. I thought that the best way to determine if it really was caused by dead pixels would be to take a screenshot. The screenshot showed the same area with the fault, so I now know it has to do with the graphics card. I ruled out the cable or connection as it was VGA before and now it's DVI. I have also considered a software/driver issue, but I do not see what the problem could be. Anyway, here's the screenshot:

whatisit.PNG

I would appreciate any feedback on this as I am lost :)

JAN :D

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Look in your nvidia control panel for something that works like catalyst for ATI cards. It's happened to me before and I run ATI cards. I disabled the taskbar icon for catalyst and it went away, hopefully nvidia has something similar?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Look in your nvidia control panel for something that works like catalyst for ATI cards. It's happened to me before and I run ATI cards. I disabled the taskbar icon for catalyst and it went away, hopefully nvidia has something similar?

Thanks, I have tried that but to no avail :( It's just a little annoying to see that there because I know it's there. Nobody else would probably notice it. It only shows up when on the desktop.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Got it!

Guys, found the culprit. Whenever I close ICQ, this goes away. Do any of you know what could be causing this within ICQ so that I could disable it? I am using version 6.5, build 2024.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I can't find anything online about it either. Do you have the latest version?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
I can't find anything online about it either. Do you have the latest version?

Yeh, the 2024 is the latest build of version 6.5. I guess I will have to wait for a new build to come out to see if they fix it. It was not there with the older versions, so it has to be a feature that was added recently. I also tried looking for something about it online, but could not find anything. Thanks once more for your help.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try looking in the options/preferences for anything that looks peculiar, that maybe wasn't there in the older versions.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Try looking in the options/preferences for anything that looks peculiar, that maybe wasn't there in the older versions.

I tried most that I thought could have a connection. One thing that moved that annoying section was the "Dock my ICQ" option - when I chose "Left".

Here's the result.. now it will not go back to the top-left corner...

whatisit2.PNG

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe uninstall and then reinstall icq? I used to have icq years ago, don't know if I could remember my number.