Subtitles - help! I'm confused!

PC Hobbyist

I have some divx videos and the corresponding .smi subtitles. I use the VobSub codec so that WMP 11 can read the subtitle files.

For some reason, the subtitles are not in sync; however, when I look at the subtitle file, it is correct. For example, the .smi files says that at 4 seconds into the movie the line, "Hello" appears. That is the correct timing for the word "hello" on the movie. However, when watching the movie, the word "hello" appears at around 12 seconds. By the end of the movie, the subtitles are only about 3 seconds off.

Why is that? How come they are not appearing at the time set in the .smi file? I tried converting the .smi to .srt and I still get the same problem.

DrCuddles

Tried going on the WMP support forum, they might have something there that can help you, other than that im sorry i cant think of anything other than converting them to .srt :(

Hope you get it fixed :)

PC Hobbyist

Thanks for the response.

Well, I tried it with the VLC Player and it all works fine. I guess when it comes to subtitles, I'll just forget about WMP. And now with the WMP11-skin for VLC Player, it feels like you're using WMP11 anyway. But the main thing is that the VLC Player works like a charm with my .smi subtitle files!

And speaking of the VLC Player, does anyone know how I can set it up so that when I open it, it automatically loads the previous skin? I have tried changing the advanced skin settings in Preferences, but every time I open it, I get the default skin and I have to switch to my desired skin.