The Hate On Apple Thread

Rocko

a little uptight, isn't it? This is the off topic section.

orly.jpg

dave1701

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113142

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116455

$795 for upgradablity, and a bigger HDD, and overclocking

or this
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iMac-MC508LL-21-5-Inch-Desktop/dp/B002QQ8IO6

$1100 with no upgradeablity and an annoying operating system.

Rant continued, Another thing I dislike about apple is their "artsy" operating system. I want to get things done, not marvel at the astetics of the operating system. The buttons for example, insted of being smart like windows, the OS has a red, a yellow and a green button for minimizing, maximize, and exiting. Those who have never used a computer before can at least predict what the windows buttons mean. Why on earth have just colors like that, that represents the whole OS. Less getting things done and more enjoying the pretty colors.

304723_06.jpg

untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member

or this

Rant continued, Another thing I dislike about apple is their "artsy" operating system. I want to get things done, not marvel at the astetics of the operating system. The buttons for example, insted of being smart like windows, the OS has a red, a yellow and a green button for minimizing, maximize, and exiting. Those who have never used a computer before can at least predict what the windows buttons mean. Why on earth have just colors like that, that represents the whole OS. Less getting things done and more enjoying the pretty colors.

304723_06.jpg

untitled.jpg

Have you ever used a mac?

I like how this thread started with "you can buy 6 pcs for the price of one iMac" to "look at how terrible the minimize buttons are...I can't get anything done because of them!"

/end thread

Aastii

VIP Member
The monitor you picked is indeed the same size as a larger mac, but not even close to the same specs.

1. The Apple is LED, Viewsonic is LCD

2. Apple one is backlit, Viewsonic is not

3. The Apple one is full Aluminium + glass enclosed, the Viewsonic is plastic

4. The apple one will be made of much, much higher quality components than the Viewsonic. Viewsonic have a reputation for quickly giving you dead pixels or a faulty display, Apple give the opposite.

It is this quality that is the reason for the price, as well as for the lack of upgradeability. Apple have quality control which is why they don't let you just drop in any part. You can't put in a crap PSU, like the desktop you posted has and off brand components, again, like the desktop you posted has.

They also use higher quality peripherals (mouse and keyboard) and their OS comes with much better, and more software than Windows.

I prefer PC over Mac, however I completely understand the justification for the price, and why people like Macs

Last edited:

Rocko

or this

304723_06.jpg

untitled.jpg

Mac OS is much more intuitive to the human psyche than windows is. Don't get me wrong, I do not swing towards Apple by any means, but imho, their OS is not a negative by far.

fastdude

Mac OS is much more intuitive to the human psyche than windows is. Don't get me wrong, I do not swing towards Apple by any means, but imho, their OS is not a negative by far.

Plus, OS X is cheaper than Windows

OK, that's an extreme example but you get the point I'm trying to make

dave1701

You can also keep your monitor for PC, so you can upgrade you PC without throwing away a perfectly good monitor.

Aastii

VIP Member
You can also keep your monitor for PC, so you can upgrade you PC without throwing away a perfectly good monitor.

You throw away your computer when it gets outdated 0.o

Just because the technology may be old, doesn't mean you have to get rid of it, an iMac will always be good even if just for a video/internet system

Mattu

Imo, Macs nowadays are just overpriced PC, like already stated, since they switched to Intel processors. Back in the day though, when they were still Power PC based, they were worth buying since a G4/G5 would blow the top off a Pentium 4 at the same speed. Much like today a i7 3GHz will blow a Pentium 4 3GHz out of the water.

Quiltface

I guess I feel the need to throw my 2 cents in on this subject... im sure i have before but i will again.

Years ago the major apple product in the market was the ipod... i didnt get it, they lacked features that other MP3 players had and were more expensive. And they were a pain to use IMO, i didnt like itunes, and how when i plugged it into another itunes or a new computer it wiped the songs off of the device. ( i never owned one but people expected me to "set" theirs up) I had a creative Zen and now i have a sony walkman... and i like them because you can use just drag songs to them. but this isnt the point of my rant.

Now Macs are becoming more and more popular these past few years, and to be honest the last MAC i used was in like 1997 so I cant comment on anything about the computer. Im sure the os is nice, im sure the hardware is nice. Something cant be that popular and not deliver. I agree with most people and say that it is too expensive for a macpc (not the os alone) And its not that they over price it is that they over sell you... i will never need a 27" screen for my desktop. i sit like 2 feet from my computer i would have to turn my head just to see the whole screen. But I found my self hating macs for some reason, and its not that I am a windows lover... i mean i use windows because my profession is computer related and that is basically what pays me is knowing windows not mac.

I guess what bugs me the most about mac is the users and the stigma that if you have a mac you are almost in a "higher class" than someone with a pc. It bugs me when people are like o my mac is so great it just works blah blah i tried to do this the other day on a windows computer and it gave me an error message there is no such thing as error messages on a mac. Or the apple stickers in peoples car windows... get over yourself its a computer... not anything to be proud of. I don't think i ever seen someone with a windows flag in their window of their car.

Hopefully this will change, I can care less if you have a MAC or PC... I might give you some half serious jab but I really dont care, its a computer, i use what is good for me... you use what is good for you. But dont tell me Im wrong.

Linux users used to be bad years ago, they have since got better. I use linux myself so Im not saying this is everyone. but the old stereotype about linux users was that they were all A$$holes and arrogant. that has calmed down some, it still exists today but it has been watered down... lets just hope this happens with mac users.

Im not calling out all Mac users. I don't want to cluster every mac user into the model I just explained so for those of you who do not fall into this model I apologize.

Last edited:

ScOuT

VIP Member
I got screwed by Apple on my ipod...I will never touch an Apple product again.

Horrible customer service...I called and could not even understand the first lady. Then I hung up and called again and the guy would not let me speak to his boss after a heated argument from both sides...the guy was actually yelling back at me on the phone.

$320 ipod lasted 2 months...I threw it in the trash. If there is one company I hope fails...that's it.

bomberboysk

The monitor you picked is indeed the same size as a larger mac, but not even close to the same specs.

1. The Apple is LED, Viewsonic is LCD

2. Apple one is backlit, Viewsonic is not

3. The Apple one is full Aluminium + glass enclosed, the Viewsonic is plastic

4. The apple one will be made of much, much higher quality components than the Viewsonic. Viewsonic have a reputation for quickly giving you dead pixels or a faulty display, Apple give the opposite.

It is this quality that is the reason for the price, as well as for the lack of upgradeability. Apple have quality control which is why they don't let you just drop in any part. You can't put in a crap PSU, like the desktop you posted has and off brand components, again, like the desktop you posted has.

They also use higher quality peripherals (mouse and keyboard) and their OS comes with much better, and more software than Windows.

I prefer PC over Mac, however I completely understand the justification for the price, and why people like Macs

Huh? All LCD displays have to be backlit if you want to be able to read them, the imac just has an LED backlight while the Viewsonic is CCFL backlit.

The biggest reason that the imac incurs the price premium that is does, is both the 21.5" and 27" models use an LED backlit in plane switching display, vs the cheaper LED or CCFL backlit TN displays.

tlarkin

VIP Member
so full of fail....not sure why I even post in these anymore....

OK time to iron out some facts here..

1) Dave (OP guy) your monitor comparisons are laughable. None of them support IPS (in-plane switching) the cheapest IPS screen you are ever going to find is just over $500. Dell rebrands some, go look at their website. Then try to build a PC that is spec for spec like an iMac with a 27" IPS LED backlit screen. Good luck

2) The stigma of owning a Mac makes you elite is something the PC side just really makes up. Apple realized a long time ago for them to be successful does not mean that Microsoft or anyone else has to fail. Apple has concentrated on their product and while, their ads Mac Vs PC make fun of the cliches of computing, it was done in pure advertising. A few years back a lot of people didn't even know Apple existed, or there were alternatives to a PC. Most people that use a Mac could care less if you use a PC. The elists on both sides make all that crap up.

3) Macs are not over priced. You need to research your facts. Compare spec to spec, feature to feature, and overall cost of ownership to overall cost of ownership of both platforms. Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro and Macbook and Macbook Pro are all marketed for a certain user type. Mac mini is for the user that needs a small micro form factor computer. Try building a machine as powerful and as small and quiet as a Mac mini. iMac is an all-in-one and comparing it to all other all-in-ones it is easily the best. Mac Pro, well it runs dual xeons, good luck building/finding a dual xeon machine cheaper. Their laptops are the best that I have ever owned. While this is my opinion I have owned, and repaired/supported every major brand of laptop in existence.

4) it is not MAC, it is Mac, which is short for Macintosh. MAC is an acronym that means something entirely else

5) It all comes down to personal preference in the end.

On a side, technical note, OS X uses BSD under the hood, which is far superior to Windows old and busted monolithic kernel and OS design. Which is why Windows has so many security flaws and instabilities in it.

lucasbytegenius

or this

304723_06.jpg

untitled.jpg

Ever used a Mac? Dude when you hover over the buttons there are symbols that appear. Mac OS X rocks, much easier and straightforward than Windows. Faster too.

Exactly.

Plus, OS X is cheaper than Windows

OK, that's an extreme example but you get the point I'm trying to make
Of course, you've got to take in mind that it only legally works on a Mac, and that since the developers work with the hardware devs, they can produce a much better OS for the hardware instead of creating one for everything. They once did make Mac OS for PCs as well, but thanks to piracy Apple almost went bankrupt in the 90s.

Imo, Macs nowadays are just overpriced PC, like already stated, since they switched to Intel processors. Back in the day though, when they were still Power PC based, they were worth buying since a G4/G5 would blow the top off a Pentium 4 at the same speed. Much like today a i7 3GHz will blow a Pentium 4 3GHz out of the water.
I wished they had continued to use the PowerPC architecture, but for some reason Motorola couldn't keep up with the quota. I think Apple did use IBM hardware once, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Quiltface

2) The stigma of owning a Mac makes you elite is something the PC side just really makes up. Apple realized a long time ago for them to be successful does not mean that Microsoft or anyone else has to fail. Apple has concentrated on their product and while, their ads Mac Vs PC make fun of the cliches of computing, it was done in pure advertising. A few years back a lot of people didn't even know Apple existed, or there were alternatives to a PC. Most people that use a Mac could care less if you use a PC. The elists on both sides make all that crap up.

I never said it was something apple did or it was all mac users... just something i noticed. So maybe it is the "Mac elites" that I am talking about. Like I said it is a computer and that is all it is at the end of the day... not a lifestyle... not a community... it doesn't describe yourself... it is there to get work done and to entertain you. The Mac vs PC war will be over right after peace breaks out in the middle east unfortunately lol.

And you post in these threads because you have to... deep down you know you have to. I almost didn't too.