thinking of new build

Qlutch

Save money and get a 6800GT. It will be quite some time before you'll have to even think about upgrading.

customholle

Do not get ata HDD's, get SATA, much faster, and get the 3000+ venice, its cheaper and overclocks like a dream, get the $4 cheaper Asus a8n sli premium, it is just better.

Geoff

VIP Member
customholle said:
Do not get ata HDD's, get SATA, much faster, and get the 3000+ venice, its cheaper and overclocks like a dream, get the $4 cheaper Asus a8n sli premium, it is just better.

if you plan to overclock much, you need either more then 1 sata block, use IDE instead of sata, or buy a sata controller. Most motherboards have problems with sata drives when you overclock a lot.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
hows this look is there anyway i could make it better by droping the video card and uping somthing else? would it benefit me more
Id ditch the ASUS SLI board in favor of either the "Premium" version of the ASUS board (if u insist on sticking with ASUS -- the premium model fixed the cooling issues with the Deluxe model) ... or getting a MSI/DFI board

yeah i would go for ata133 or ata150 serial hard disk, ata 100 are just too slow
Even though there isnt a noticeable difference between ATA5 and ATA6 right? :)

read this thread, see how the athlon 64 3000+ beats the fx-55
Comparing an OCd CPU to a stock CPU is plain silly.

why dont you go with SATA 2 like me
Because theres not a world of difference and 90% of people wont ever notice -- including you. :)

You're going to want a better power supply. Get at least a 450W since you have that powerful video card, and especially if you think you might go with SLI in the future.
Wattage doesnt mean much .. having a steady 12V line and tight rails is fare superior to having a "big PSU"

Go with the antec neopower and AMD 3000+. The 3800+ and 3000+ run at the same cache and have the same core. What does this mean? The 3000+ can be overclocked to the same ghz as the 3800+ and all the way up to 2.8 ghz in some cases. Saves lots of money and isnt very difficult!
So you're suggesting that if i get a Athlon64 3000+ [ADA3000AEP4AP], that it has the same core as a Athlon64 3800+ [ADA3800DAA4BP]? ... might want to look a bit deeper

yeah u need a 500 watt power supply because the 7800gtx needs a lot of power from the power supply i think i read i needed 150watts alone
For the record, the 7800GTX uses less power than the 6800U

delux is nerly as good as priemer but 24 pound cheeper
Nearly as good minus the cooling problem it has and lack of SLI/16x

im not OC'ing anything, what HD do i need
The cheap one: contrary to what most people think they notice, odds are you wont notice any performance change with fancy HDDs or nothing. Ok fine, people that buy machines to run benchmarks 24x7 will definitely notice but if they buy a machine just to run benchmarks 24x7 then we both can say definitively that they have other issues to deal with first. ;)

Thermaltake Silent Purepower W0014RU 480W Power Supply
Dont bother with this overpriced bling-bling low performing PSU heh ... at 18A on the 12V rail, i wouldnt want it powering my box ... have a look at PSU 101 for some counter suggestions

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
hmm the msi on the k8n neo 4 plat it dosnt have amd X2 listed as a processor
And.....? :rolleyes: :D
It'll work :) (just need a BIOS update -- like pretty much most boards out there)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
so get that mobo instead of the asus

lamo btw my bro just fried his asus...retard
If you manage to fry an ASUS you are either brilliantly clever or brilliantly dumb. In either case, why is he still your brother? As for buying it instead, thats up to you ... i suppose you could buy both if you wanted.... ;)

Last edited: