Thoughts on Vista

patrickv

What are you on about? I never said vista is perfect. I said I have had no problems with programs. I never said that no one else has never had problems either. You shoud re read what people type before you criticize them.

actually that was for intelcrazy not you men ;)
and by the way

Well done Microsoft!
^^^

thats ridiculous

patrickv

ok in response to the OP, i'd say go with XP, while you can do research on google to see the compatibilities and whatsoever.
if somehow you feel that the tasks you want to accomplish can be done on vista then you can use it.

cheers mate

get a life intelcrazy, the job i do requires corel,just cause corel doesn't work doesn't mean vista is perfect.
try to be more helpful
and yeah i have adobe, no wories ;)

I don't use Corel because it's absolute crap... If I wanted it to run on Vista, I am sure there is a tweak.. There is nothing wrong with Vista, except the community of ppl that surround it, yes, ppl like you who have not tried anything other than the Vista Beta... I don't know what your problem is with other ppl's opinion differing from your's but get over it, jeez, communists live in Asia...

ok in response to the OP, i'd say go with XP, while you can do research on google to see the compatibilities and whatsoever.
if somehow you feel that the tasks you want to accomplish can be done on vista then you can use it.

cheers mate

A car gets old after 7 years... If you ask me, XP does too.

Last edited:

patrickv

I don't use Corel because it's absolute crap... If I wanted it to run on Vista, I am sure there is a tweak.. There is nothing wrong with Vista, except the community of ppl that surround it, yes, ppl like you who have not tried anything other than the Vista Beta... I don't know what your problem is with other ppl's opinion differing from your's but get over it, jeez, communist's live in Asia...

hey am running full Vista business (see Sig) and
If I wanted it to run on Vista, I am sure there is a tweak
thanks for the tip.
i didn't say vista is wack or anything am just trying to point out that there are flaws that many people don't want to accept.
i have no problems at all intelcrazy believe me, it just pisses me off to see that people think VISTA JUST WORKS, for me thats a no no.
and about corel, probably your job or company don't need it, there's nothing wrong with corel, if you have a problem with it, you might as well let the Creol Team know, not me ...

cheers

patrickv

I don't use Corel because it's absolute crap... If I wanted it to run on Vista, I am sure there is a tweak.. There is nothing wrong with Vista, except the community of ppl that surround it, yes, ppl like you who have not tried anything other than the Vista Beta... I don't know what your problem is with other ppl's opinion differing from your's but get over it, jeez, communist's live in Asia...

yes very strong point, but MS needs to stop support like they did win98, for XP to go down the line

Gogey

Im using vista now, but its really hard to tell the changes from xp since I came from a 3 year old 2 GHZ pentium 4. I realise I could get better gaming performance out of XP, but Im not that hardcore that the difference will show. Now I just gotta pop a gig of ram in.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yeah if everything was open source, I think technology would move slower... I use Linux but, other software gives me a reason to upgrade...

And, I too think that ReadyBoost is useless... The cache files on my drive got old with me very fast...

No, this is another HUGE misconception. It would move faster because the whole world would be compiling code for the source. The problem is, manufacturers see more dollar signs with closed platforms, therefore they never release source for anything. All those open source drivers you use for your hardware in Linux, was pretty much reversed engineered by some developer. No company releases source because they are scared hackers will get a hold of it, or their product will be compromised.

Big business does not understand the open source market, which makes around 500 million dollars per a year, so there is money involved in it they just don't know how to go about it. Where as closed source companies make billions. This is also highly debatable because its hypothetical. However, there is no way open source would go slower and it would drive business to what is better quality over what you are forced into.

paratwa

And if the car still works great after 7 years, why change? Just so you can say you have the newest car out there? That's just plain stupid.

My truck is 7 years old and it only has 70,000 miles on it, it still runs and looks great. But in your analogy I would have to trade it in just because the tires that came with it are no longer made, so I need a new truck to fit the new tires. :rolleyes:

No thanks!

I will stick to Xp until it is just not worth maintaining, much like my 7 year old truck. And I will pass on the pretty new cars/OS until one comes out that is worth the change.

No, this is another HUGE misconception. It would move faster because the whole world would be compiling code for the source. The problem is, manufacturers see more dollar signs with closed platforms, therefore they never release source for anything. All those open source drivers you use for your hardware in Linux, was pretty much reversed engineered by some developer. No company releases source because they are scared hackers will get a hold of it, or their product will be compromised.

Big business does not understand the open source market, which makes around 500 million dollars per a year, so there is money involved in it they just don't know how to go about it. Where as closed source companies make billions. This is also highly debatable because its hypothetical. However, there is no way open source would go slower and it would drive business to what is better quality over what you are forced into.

We could argue that forward and backward all day. My only point is, I heard ppl complaining about a quote by Microsoft about upgrading hardware for newer things.

And if the car still works great after 7 years, why change? Just so you can say you have the newest car out there? That's just plain stupid.

My truck is 7 years old and it only has 70,000 miles on it, it still runs and looks great. But in your analogy I would have to trade it in just because the tires that came with it are no longer made, so I need a new truck to fit the new tires. :rolleyes:

No thanks!

I will stick to Xp until it is just not worth maintaining, much like my 7 year old truck. And I will pass on the pretty new cars/OS until one comes out that is worth the change.

The car doesn't work great after 7 years, the windshield isn't as bright as a newer model, the car also cannot perform with newer fuels... That's 10,000 miles a year, you obviously don't do very much with your car...

Car = computer with XP
Windshield = GUI
Fuels = games

And, I didn't start the Vista argument this time, I made a joke about Corel's bad software and here comes the Vista 'muckrakers' and well, you see the effect...

Iluvpenguins

Vista was the crappiest OS i've ever attempted using. I couldn't stand the interface, nor the incompatibility issues i've experienced. I never got internet while using it, i tried and tried but it wouldn't recognize. Why buy a new car that can't even function right when my old car is fully reliable and hasn't failed me yet? Its like giving up my 2001 porsche for a 2008 Cavalier, it isn't happening.

quagmondo23

I have my main desktop(2.66ghz dual core, 500gb hdd, 512 sapphire graphics, 4gb ram) set up with Ultimate OEM. I think it is ok, it had compatability issues when I set it up, after a few drivers everything worked ok. Like everyone says the security isn't that great(for world dominating hackers like myself) but we get by. I would recomend Linux over giving Mr. Bill anymore money. I have Ubuntu on my laptop dual booting with xp. Thats my preference.
Also, if you're building go for OEM. Got mine for a quarter of the normal ultimate.
Hope this helps

Vista was the crappiest OS i've ever attempted using. I couldn't stand the interface, nor the incompatibility issues i've experienced. I never got internet while using it, i tried and tried but it wouldn't recognize. Why buy a new car that can't even function right when my old car is fully reliable and hasn't failed me yet? Its like giving up my 2001 porsche for a 2008 Cavalier, it isn't happening.

I think you are over-exerting the cons.... Did you use the Beta, Basic? I find not enough info from you for your opinion to be viable... Really, can you be serious? A fairly new system having that bad of problems? You wasted money on that GTS, if you aren't gonna run DX10. The interface is so similar to XP it's not even funny, I could get ppl in the mental institution to understand a transition from XP to Vista.

If you installed it correctly, configured it, you should have had no problem. I think in this case we could say, computer is only as good as its user.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I think you are over-exerting the cons.... Did you use the Beta, Basic? I find not enough info from you for your opinion to be viable... Really, can you be serious? A fairly new system having that bad of problems? You wasted money on that GTS, if you aren't gonna run DX10. The interface is so similar to XP it's not even funny, I could get ppl in the mental institution to understand a transition from XP to Vista.

If you installed it correctly, configured it, you should have had no problem. I think in this case we could say, computer is only as good as its user.

OK, google search vista issues and see how many hits you get and start reading through all the problems. Just because you have not encountered any issues doesn't mean anyone else has had the same experience. hell, search these forums here for the amount of vista issues people have.

There were, and still are, plenty of issues with vista and my current hardware I have.

What does DX10 offer over DX9? Seriously, produce some real world points that explains how great it is. I mean you can have a DX10 video card in both an XP and a Vista system and run tons of video games on max settings. Benchmark wise, sure the DX10 may perform better with vista (however, I doubt it) but that is a benchmark. They do not reflect real world performance.

It is along the same lines where people make gaming rigs and run RAID 0 and think its actually out performing their system by a ton, but in reality RAID 0 only increases data throughput, so if you aren't reading/writing tons of data at once you don't benefit from it.

There is still NO viable reason and NO performance increase upgrading to Vista. MS is finally get called out on making its bloated OS.

paratwa

The car doesn't work great after 7 years, the windshield isn't as bright as a newer model, the car also cannot perform with newer fuels... That's 10,000 miles a year, you obviously don't do very much with your car...

Car = computer with XP
Windshield = GUI
Fuels = games
=
That makes no sense.

And I don't do much with XP either except surf and email. I don't play games much anymore, since no new games have come out worth playing. They are just rehash's of old games with prettier interfaces, much like Vista it's self. Actual game play has not changed much at all since duke nukem and the first quake. After you have played them a couple of years it's just old hat.

I used to be a big Unreal Tournament guy. I belonged to a clan and all of that. But UT3 sucks, Bioshock was decent but got boring fast. Crysis is pretty but got boring fast. So why do I need a new pretty OS that has nothing to offer me.

Even DX10 is a waste at this time. Change for the sake of change is just stupid. I change when there is a reason for change.

I am not, nor have I ever been a person that has to have the newest toy out there. I laugh at the people that are driving $50,000 vehicles but can not afford to put new clothes on their kids, or are so in debt they can't pay off their credit cards. And all so they can look cool with the newest toys.

If or when Vista becomes a must have, then I will get it. But for now Vista is just a pretty toy that makes people think they are cool by having it. It offers nothing new that is worth it.

Iluvpenguins

1) It was the Basic edition, not like it matters, they are all pretty much the same except for features.

2) My router has problems, my computer ran somewhat fine with it, oh and i couldn't get some software for it because it didn't support it.

3)This GTS was only $200 used, it was a steal, and most DX10 stuff can be ported to XP, i play Crysis with some very high settings anyhow. Also don't forget that the DX10 cards also improve performance in DX9 games, so it wasn't a waste, better than getting the previous 7 series cards.

4) The interface is somewhat similar to XP's, but it leaves a bad enough taste in my mouth to dislike it.

And I can get a kid in a Special Ed class to realize what you havn't.

tlarkin

VIP Member
We could argue that forward and backward all day. My only point is, I heard ppl complaining about a quote by Microsoft about upgrading hardware for newer things.

See, here is the problem with your logic. No OS has EVER had this much of an overhaul of requirements. You look at all versions of Linux, Unix, OS X, etc, and all of them can be ran on systems that are 4 years old, and they run fine. Most consumers don't know this, and most people are now finally realizing they have alternate solutions. For the first time in history you are seeing consumer level desktops with Linux pre installed. This is obviously a move because of the demand of the consumer. They want an OS that isn't bloated and written very poorly.

I mean you once were saying how crappy mac was and how much better windows was, and now you are finally seeing there are other options. Windows has so many problems, and I could sit here and list them all. Not vista, not XP, but Windows in general. Its not the most popular OS by quality by any means, it is the most popular because of their business model, and how they have pushed their product to both businesses and the consumer. I honestly think that the server side MS products aren't all that bad, but their desktop OS is the worst out of any other OS out there.

Apple now has 15billion in their bank roll because their sales have rocketed, while every PC company is losing money. Why do you think that is?

Car = computer with XP
Windshield = GUI
Fuels = games

And, I didn't start the Vista argument this time, I made a joke about Corel's bad software and here comes the Vista 'muckrakers' and well, you see the effect...

Car analogies do not really reflect what computers can do. They are very commonly used because most people can relate to cars, where as they can't relate to technology. I hate using them because of this reason but I do use them because it makes it easier to explain things to those who know nothing about computers or technology.

Our economy and every big businesses model is to always keep the consumer spending money. Why do you think ipods are still selling? They are disposable at this point in time. Why do you think people think they need to upgrade their computers every year or two? In reality they don't. People want to throw their computer away when the OS crashes, even though reloading it would fix the problem. Our linear system of consumerism causes this, and every big company wants us to keep spending and keep buying to keep giving them money. Seriously, that is how capitalism works, and after WWII that is the system they devised. The system works in the short term, but in the end it will hurt our economy. When was the last time the US dollar was worth less than a Canadian dollar? Well, it is as of right now.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
DX10 is better, play crysis in both DX modes. You will want to continue using DX10 ;)

You guys can flame vista all day long, its a great OS. And one of these days you (yourself) will probably find yourself upgrading. Just like windows 2000 users finally found theirselfs going to XP. Im sure the same thing was being argued then about the all wonderful windows XP.

When your using XP for years, and you do a major change such as swapping to Vista, your not going to like it because your so used to XP's configuration. I found myself a little dissapointed in vista the first week of using it, but one i learn my way around. I would never want to use XP again, vista has so much more to offer for me.

Its like the first day of school, no one likes it.

Iluvpenguins

DX10 is better, play crysis in both DX modes. You will want to continue using DX10 ;)

You guys can flame vista all day long, its a great OS. And one of these days you (yourself) will probably find yourself upgrading. Just like windows 2000 users finally found theirselfs going to XP. Im sure the same thing was being argued then about the all wonderful windows XP.

When your using XP for years, and you do a major change such as swapping to Vista, your not going to like it because your so used to XP's configuration. I found myself a little dissapointed in vista the first week of using it, but one i learn my way around. I would never want to use XP again, vista has so much more to offer for me.

Its like the first day of school, no one likes it.

When Vista becomes a complete must..then sadly I will port over. I skipped over 2000, went from Windows 98 to XP.

OK, google search vista issues and see how many hits you get and start reading through all the problems. Just because you have not encountered any issues doesn't mean anyone else has had the same experience. hell, search these forums here for the amount of vista issues people have.

There were, and still are, plenty of issues with vista and my current hardware I have.

What does DX10 offer over DX9? Seriously, produce some real world points that explains how great it is. I mean you can have a DX10 video card in both an XP and a Vista system and run tons of video games on max settings. Benchmark wise, sure the DX10 may perform better with vista (however, I doubt it) but that is a benchmark. They do not reflect real world performance.

It is along the same lines where people make gaming rigs and run RAID 0 and think its actually out performing their system by a ton, but in reality RAID 0 only increases data throughput, so if you aren't reading/writing tons of data at once you don't benefit from it. I don't care about how much less performance my system could ha

There is still NO viable reason and NO performance increase upgrading to Vista. MS is finally get called out on making its bloated OS.

Bloated drawbacks! I don't care how many problems other ppl had, I didn't have problems, therefore I can promote it. I don't read the forums and regurgitate the topics constantly. Yeah, I know what RAID is, and I actually was gonna apply that to take all 2 secs off my load times:rolleyes: But, I didn't... DX10 looks better than DX9, and because the number is higher (10>9), there seems to be reason to believe that it has potential, agree?

My hardware must be Vista's image of perfect then...

That makes no sense.

And I don't do much with XP either except surf and email. I don't play games much anymore, since no new games have come out worth playing. They are just rehash's of old games with prettier interfaces, much like Vista it's self. Actual game play has not changed much at all since duke nukem and the first quake. After you have played them a couple of years it's just old hat.

I used to be a big Unreal Tournament guy. I belonged to a clan and all of that. But UT3 sucks, Bioshock was decent but got boring fast. Crysis is pretty but got boring fast. So why do I need a new pretty OS that has nothing to offer me.

Even DX10 is a waste at this time. Change for the sake of change is just stupid. I change when there is a reason for change.

I am not, nor have I ever been a person that has to have the newest toy out there. I laugh at the people that are driving $50,000 vehicles but can not afford to put new clothes on their kids, or are so in debt they can't pay off their credit cards. And all so they can look cool with the newest toys.

If or when Vista becomes a must have, then I will get it. But for now Vista is just a pretty toy that makes people think they are cool by having it. It offers nothing new that is worth it.

I am not one of those ppl, my credit is good ;) Seemed pretty understandable to me... I like change, change is good.

1) It was the Basic edition, not like it matters, they are all pretty much the same except for features.

2) My router has problems, my computer ran somewhat fine with it, oh and i couldn't get some software for it because it didn't support it.

3)This GTS was only $200 used, it was a steal, and most DX10 stuff can be ported to XP, i play Crysis with some very high settings anyhow. Also don't forget that the DX10 cards also improve performance in DX9 games, so it wasn't a waste, better than getting the previous 7 series cards.

4) The interface is somewhat similar to XP's, but it leaves a bad enough taste in my mouth to dislike it.

And I can get a kid in a Special Ed class to realize what you havn't.

For some reason you don't realize you don't need software for a router....:rolleyes: A good router anyway, and if you know your stuff, you would buy a good router.

I love watching you guys scratch out essays for what I put in one paragraph.;):D:p